Author Topic: Radio Sundown  (Read 404 times)

Soup 123

Radio Sundown
« on: December 17, 2017, 11:28:53 AM »
Does anyone remember Radio Sundown ( I hope I have the right title ) broadcast nightly from a derelict shop on the Old Lodge Road . It was listened to by the greater Shankill district and the Authorities were keen to close it down . I seem to remember an English guy was behind it with one of the Drumgoole girls from Fleming street sitting on his knee as he broadcast.
There a,int no money in POETRY,  thatís what sets the poet free.

CMcG

Re: Radio Sundown
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 02:12:52 PM »
The name looks right, for it gets a mention as a protestant pirate radio station operating in the '"The Hammer" Shankill Road' in this intelligence report compiled by the Republic's intelligence agents in 1969:

http://cain.ulst.ac.uk/nai/1969/nai_TSCH-2000-6-660_1969-09-28.pdf

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

belle

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 03:42:38 PM »
Blimey!  :)
Love like you've never been hurt,
Dance like no one's watching,
Sing like no one can hear you.

CMcG

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 05:06:34 PM »

Blimey!  :)

That's what I thought. Fascinating stuff...  :)

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

Soup 123

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 05:44:11 PM »
Fascinating as these reports are  they are dated 1969 . I remember Radio Sundown broadcasting before the troubles . It was a mixture of records and good natured chat , no mention of any political stuff whatsoever.   :)  It was a big talking point on the Old Lodge Road as most ( youngsters ) knew who was making the broadcasts and where they were coming from , and they wer,nt based in the Hammer the shop was on the junction of North Boundry St and the Old Lodge Road . I particularly remember it because Miss Drumgool  ( her first name escapes me at the moment ) and the guy made a very happy couple .  Odd to think itís a half a century ago ...
There a,int no money in POETRY,  thatís what sets the poet free.

The Lecturer

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2020, 12:57:43 PM »
If anyone would like to tell their story about listening to or broadcasting on any of the early Belfast pirate radio stations, please get in touch as I am writing a book on the subject.

Billy Fish

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2020, 08:19:58 PM »
Fascinating as these reports are  they are dated 1969 . I remember Radio Sundown broadcasting before the troubles . It was a mixture of records and good natured chat , no mention of any political stuff whatsoever.   :)  It was a big talking point on the Old Lodge Road as most ( youngsters ) knew who was making the broadcasts and where they were coming from , and they wer,nt based in the Hammer the shop was on the junction of North Boundry St and the Old Lodge Road . I particularly remember it because Miss Drumgool  ( her first name escapes me at the moment ) and the guy made a very happy couple .  Odd to think itís a half a century ago ...

One of Jimmy Drumgooles daughters, I think ?  ???
Support Soldier F
Remember the bravery and deeds of the Men & Women of the USC, RUC, RUC Reserve, the UDR, PSNI, but most of all the British Army.