Author Topic: Old boyfriends in the 1950's Belfast  (Read 618 times)

geraldine williamson

Old boyfriends in the 1950's Belfast
« on: December 24, 2017, 03:13:25 PM »
Hi everyone,  I often wonder whatever happened to my very 1st boyfriend;  he was a nice lad and we were both 16. 
I remember so vividly my mother telling me to "give him up" because he was  protestant and I was a catholic!  I always regretted this.  It was during the summer of 1954 that we met at the Plaza ballroom and my sister and I had started to learn ballroom dancing in the afternoons of Saturday.  John Dosser and his partner were teaching us.  It was magical and I just lived for Saturdays!  His name was Arthur Parker and he was the double of Adam Faith in looks and so quiet too.  Anyway it was snowing that December night and we had been to the Duncairn cinema same evening walking back in the snow.  I told him what my mother said and I had to do what she told me (famous last words indeed).
I worked for the Mater Hospital Crumlin Rd as a medical secretary at that time, and I remember he rang me there but the call was short and brief, just to say if I changed my mind he would be there!!!
So much for making the wrong decision when I was sweet sixteen and so much in love too...often wonder where he is today and if he is happy???
Matt Monro sings a lovely song named "What became of You" and this just says it all for me.  Lovely words.  Gerry xx   

jillyfred

Re: Old boyfriends in the 1950's Belfast
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 03:58:58 PM »

Geraldine-I think that`s a really lovely story you told.
In another time,another place-you and Arthur may well have lived the dream.

Sadly,in those days we were very dutiful and bent to our elders.

The young now would never do so.

Maybe one day you may hear just how his life turned out.That would be really nice for you to
know.
jilly
 :)

geraldine williamson

Re: Old boyfriends in the 1950's Belfast
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 05:06:18 PM »
Geraldine-I think that`s a really lovely story you told.
In another time,another place-you and Arthur may well have lived the dream.

Sadly,in those days we were very dutiful and bent to our elders.

The young now would never do so.

Maybe one day you may hear just how his life turned out.That would be really nice for you to
know.
jilly
 :)

Oh! what a surprise to get your lovely post, this really made my Day!

I am at my daughter's for Christmas, she always brings me over and it's nice to have a get-together, she has no children (by choice, a career girl!) but I love her all the same. She is a wonderful daughter.  I have 2 sons, one who lives in Holland and was over for a week recently.

My eldest son, an ex-fireman, is terminally ill and living with me at home.  He went over to help the refugees in Athens Greece 4 and a half years back and came back home January 2016 with lower bowel cancer.  Such a shock as he was so healthy, running for the Godiver Harriers and quite athletic too.  He receives chemotherapy but I do a lot of praying to this Saint Padro Pio, (someone in Italy told me about him), and having been given 3 months to live, he is still with us d.v.

Anyway enough of this, thanx again for the lovely reply.  Gerry xx (Geraldine but Gerry to all my BF pals!)