Author Topic: Unknown ladies from Short Strand/Ballymacarret  (Read 2644 times)

mwright

Unknown ladies from Short Strand/Ballymacarret
« on: January 02, 2018, 05:15:26 PM »
Mother believes top left to be her mother, Cassie Lundy b1884 of 43 Short Strand in 1901.  Does not believe any of the others are her sisters, Mary (Patrick) or Sophia (Vincent).  Can anyone identify the others?  Anyone else have the same photo?  Thanks very much.

(RC) Sheils Maxwell Magee - Antrim Belfast and Down Belfast, ?Aghagallon; Lundy McManus Murray - Saintfield, Ballynahinch, and Down Belfast

m-cully

Re: Unknown ladies from Short Strand/Ballymacarret
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 02:26:35 AM »
mright.
The 1932 Belfast street directory shows that my mother's family (Keenan) was living at 43 Short Strand. I am not sure when they started to live there, but I know that a member of the family was there until the 1960's. The directory shows that in 1918 and 1924 a Sarah Martin lived in 43.

billh35

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 02:56:47 PM »
Were your family related to William Lundy of 7 Empress Street or his father who was John Lundy (a labourer). William Lundy married Margaret McGahan in St. Matthews Church on 12th April 1896. The Mc Gahans had been living at 5 Altcar Street.

Margaret Lundy (nee McGahan) would die giving birth to her daughter Martha Lundy on 3rd December 1898 at 16 Catherine Street. Martha would then be raised by Margaret's sister Sarah and would remain with Sarah's family all her life. Martha would live in Independent Street and Thompson Street all her life.

Does these names ring any bells? They are within yards of 43 Short Strand which the Lundys you quote are clearly shown living there in the 1901 census.

mwright

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2018, 02:39:36 PM »
Bill, Sorry for late reply but don't remember receiving a notification about your post.   

FRANCIS Lundy, son of WILLIAM, married Margaret McGahan.  Believe Francis could be son of William Daniel Lundy weaver and Mary Jane McCartan, married 1873 Ballynahinch, his father Patrick alive farmer, from Cluntagh, her father James farmer living, from Burren.  Witnesses Arthur Lundy and Sarah Lundy (it should be noted that in this time period there are two Arthur Lundys marrying Sarah, one named Lundy the other Dugan). Can look up if this is indeed your family. BTW, if you're in Belfast, I've been told that the mural on the gable wall of Madden's Pub on Berry St is of a renowned fiddler Arthur Lundy - unless they've repainted it!

I don't believe our families are directly connected, but I do believe there is a connection between 1901 43 SS and 7 Quinn St Lundys.  Those families are from Saintfield.

Double-check info provided!

Have many Lundy records, happy to look up if needed.
(RC) Sheils Maxwell Magee - Antrim Belfast and Down Belfast, ?Aghagallon; Lundy McManus Murray - Saintfield, Ballynahinch, and Down Belfast

mwright

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2018, 02:46:25 PM »
m-cully, sorry for late reply, don't seem to be receiving notifications.

Thanks for your response.  The Lundys moved to 23 Quinn St between censuses and the data for Quinn St in 1911 has been lost.  No relation to Martin or Keenan thus far.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy