Author Topic: Obituary or death information  (Read 608 times)

Nellie Belle

Obituary or death information
« on: January 04, 2018, 04:16:35 AM »
Hello, If someone is checking in the newspapers, would you kindly check for an obituary or death notice for the following individual:
William PATERSON, date of death is 28 March 1963,  Musgrave Park Hospital, Belfast. *I am trying to locate names of survivors and perhaps burial.
This look-up would be most appreciated.

Thank you!
Nellie

Elwyn

Re: Obituary or death information
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 12:32:13 PM »
     The death certificate should tell you if he had a spouse who survived him, plus the informantís name and address might help you. You can view it on the GRONI site for £2.50.

I checked the PRONI wills site but he didnít leave a will (or at least not one that required probate anyway).

I donít think that many newspapers for the 1960s are on-line. However there are back copies in Belfast Central Library if you can get there.

I checked the Belfast City Council burial site but he is not listed there. (But not all burial records in the Belfast area are on the site).

Elwyn

Nellie Belle

Re: Obituary or death information for William Paterson
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 12:39:08 AM »
Thank you Elwyn for your reply. I had found his death record at GRONI just last night. A son John A. was noted as being present at death. I thought perhaps if there was an obituary or notice in the paper, it might note
additional survivors. I had also checked the Belfast City Council and like you could not locate William Paterson.
I live in the US so for now the Library is out of question for me, darn!

Again thanks.

Elwyn

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 06:39:25 AM »
     You could hire a researcher to look the information up for you. If you know who he married, itís easy enough to search for children to that couple (but only if you are in Belfast as you need to got to PRONI or GRONI to do that). You enter the surname Paterson and the motherís maiden name and leave the childís forename blank. The search should then bring up all children born to those parents.

Researchers in the PRONI area: http://sgni.net

From his age at death, I would guess William married in the 1920s. Birth records for children born within the last 100 years are not openly available on the GRONI website. (The same goes for marriages within 75 years and deaths within 50).  This is to prevent data mining. However you can access those records in PRONI and GRONI. They have terminals that allow you to search right up to events registered yesterday, if you want.

What about Williamís wifeís death? Was he married or a widower when he died? Have you searched for her death and also to see if she left a will (which may name her children)? The wills on the PRONI site only go up to 1966 or thereabouts. If she died after that, then you need to get someone to search the will calendars (paper records) in PRONI.

Elwyn

Nellie Belle

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 12:48:32 AM »
Elwyn,
Your suggestions and information regarding searching at PRONI OR GRONI are appreciated.
According to information on William's death record, he was married. I know the name of his wife and did search for her death.

Thank you,
Nellie

Elwyn

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 04:26:19 AM »
Nellie,

OK, so she died 1963 onwards. The on-line deaths on the GRONI site that you have been searching only go up to 1967.  If she died after that Ė as seems to be the case  Ė youíll need someone to go into PRONI or GRONI and search the later records, which are only accessible there.

Elwyn

Nellie Belle

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 04:48:05 PM »
Elwyn,

I received several attachments this morning from the Belfast Central Library, Heritage newspaper section. The attachments are informative and provides cemetery name as well as other pertinent information.
Thanks again for your earlier responses.

Elwyn

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 04:55:13 PM »
Glad to have helped.
Elwyn