Author Topic: Best pasties in Belfast  (Read 7055 times)

Debbiem

Best pasties in Belfast
« on: January 16, 2018, 05:08:09 PM »
I recently found this place and I'm enjoying remembering my visits to Belfast. It warmed my heart to see my grandmother's name in the best pasties topic. She owned The Avenue fish and chip shop at the corner of Oldpark avenue and the Oldpark road until the mid 1980s when it was bombed. I  spent a few weeks there nearly every summer from the time I was 6 until I was 16 and they were among the best times of my life. My best friend was Delores Campbell who lives on the corner of Mayfair street and the Oldpark road. I've been back a few times but of course time changes everything. I live in Michigan but think of my granny, Ginny Harper, and my friends and great times in Belfast often.

Bigali

Re: Best pasties in Belfast
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 05:13:46 PM »
Hi Dbbiem , welcome to the forum.

It's hard to beat a good pastie supper

I never had food from your Grandmothers but it's good to know that her pasties are remembered.

If I fancy a pastie I get one from the Seafry in Rosetta , East Belfast  :nyam:
Support Soldier F

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

jillyfred

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 05:51:22 PM »

It hard to beat a pastie supper.
Great on the way home from the dance on a Saturday night-only place open was Ken`s on the bridge!
jilly

belle

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 05:56:01 PM »
Peelio's was the best pasties in Belfast.  It's long gone now sad to say.  Pastie supper... O0
Love like you've never been hurt,
Dance like no one's watching,
Sing like no one can hear you.

jjmack

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 05:40:08 AM »
Longs in Durham Street or Beatties on the Shankill, still the best pasties in town.  ;)
Wear your RED POPPY with PRIDE.  Lest we forget. BUY BRITISH.  Support the forces of LAW and ORDER, PAST and PRESENT. Justice for the BRITISH ARMY.

Bigali

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 03:05:47 PM »
Longs in Durham Street or Beatties on the Shankill, still the best pasties in town.  ;)

Yip , Longs do good pasties and so does Eddie Spences on the Beersbridge Road  O0

The old Hot Spot in Ballyhackamore used to do good pasties but alas it's long gone now , the chippy that replaced it is not as good  :(
Support Soldier F

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

Creaky

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 03:35:04 PM »
Every body loves a good pastie supper. For me the best were from "The Glen" at the top of the Oldpark Road aka "Greasy Fred's". Don't know why it got that name because his stuff was great. Need to be careful what I say here though, cos I know that Fred's daughter Robina posts on here. 
Love will always  change to sorrow, but everyone must play the game. We're here today and gone tomorrow, but the world goes on the same.

stickleback

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 05:48:21 PM »
I recently found this place and I'm enjoying remembering my visits to Belfast. It warmed my heart to see my grandmother's name in the best pasties topic. She owned The Avenue fish and chip shop at the corner of Oldpark avenue and the Oldpark road until the mid 1980s when it was bombed. I  spent a few weeks there nearly every summer from the time I was 6 until I was 16 and they were among the best times of my life. My best friend was Delores Campbell who lives on the corner of Mayfair street and the Oldpark road. I've been back a few times but of course time changes everything. I live in Michigan but think of my granny, Ginny Harper, and my friends and great times in Belfast often.

That is a great post, Debbie. A great introduction.

You will now find yourself getting pm's from posters who want you in their gang.

Ignore them all.

Be yourself at all times. Your honesty shines through.

Best pasty I had was from The Cook Inn in Melrose Street, off the Lisburn Road. The owner was a guy called Jackson. A very friendly guy. I went back there after 12 years away and he said: Where have you been ? I couldn't believe he remembered me, given the busy trade. It was just a little fish and chip shop, nothing grand. But the fruits of the sea were wrapped in a gorgeous golden batter and the pasties were to die for.

jjmack

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 06:50:52 PM »

That is a great post, Debbie. A great introduction.

You will now find yourself getting pm's from posters who want you in their gang.

Ignore them all.

Be yourself at all times. Your honesty shines through.

Best pasty I had was from The Cook Inn in Melrose Street, off the Lisburn Road. The owner was a guy called Jackson. A very friendly guy. I went back there after 12 years away and he said: Where have you been ? I couldn't believe he remembered me, given the busy trade. It was just a little fish and chip shop, nothing grand. But the fruits of the sea were wrapped in a gorgeous golden batter and the pasties were to die for.

Sound advice indeed.  O0 O0
Wear your RED POPPY with PRIDE.  Lest we forget. BUY BRITISH.  Support the forces of LAW and ORDER, PAST and PRESENT. Justice for the BRITISH ARMY.

Sheila.M

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2018, 11:29:07 PM »
Ginny’s had the best fish an chips.i lived in torrent crescent and that was the only place we bought from. We would line up for ages but well worth the wait.

jillyfred

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2018, 02:12:46 PM »

===
Yes JJMack Long`s was really great. In the mid 1950`s we got to the Panto in the Opera House a couple of times
courtesy of an Uncle who was quite well off compared to my own Family.
He had a car and took us to John Long`s after the Panto and we ate our Pasty suppers in it!
Great days.
jilly

jillyfred

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2018, 02:15:11 PM »

One good place for me these days in South Down is The Cabin in Annalong.
Their pasties and fish suppers-plus a lot of other dishes are really lovely.
jilly

Eugene Mc Mullan

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2018, 03:47:05 PM »
 I live in Connecticut USA. When my wife makes fish and chips she will say they are just like Ginny's ( my wife is from the Oldpark Rd ) love the fish and chip's.

Dot/dash

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2018, 04:03:42 PM »
someone please explain what a pasty is           is it a meat thingy          covered in pasty            or in batter       

we never had fish/chips from a shop          mum cooked her own in corn oil        
LEAVE       MEANS      LEAVE

Bigali

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2018, 05:59:33 PM »
someone please explain what a pasty is           is it a meat thingy          covered in pasty            or in batter       

we never had fish/chips from a shop          mum cooked her own in corn oil        

They are a thick round patty of sausage meat , a wee bit of mashed potatoe and onion, salt and pepper seasoning dipped in batter and deep fried in the same oil as the fish and chips , delicious !

Did well bred Fortwilliam girls not frequent chippys ?  :-\ :-*
Support Soldier F