Author Topic: Should same sex marriage be legal in Northern Ireland?  (Read 16194 times)

ExBuckfastdrinker

Should same sex marriage be legal in Northern Ireland?
« on: January 29, 2018, 01:58:40 PM »
I think it should. What do you think.

James James

Re: Should same sex marriage be legal in Northern Ireland?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 03:28:54 PM »
I think that the same laws about it, should apply as equally in Northern Ireland as they do in the rest of the U.K., and I don't see any justifiable reason for exempting their application in Northern Ireland, which has such a small percentage of the U.K. population, merely because the majority political governing Party has strongly held religiously based views about the issue.

Particularly so when an overwhelming majority of the Northern Ireland population are in favour of permitting same sex marriage in Northern Ireland.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/gay-marriage-now-has-overwhelming-support-in-northern-ireland-poll-31355428.html

If that isn't a valid objection to such a legal regional exclusion, then neither would an objection to something such as judicial execution only in Northern Ireland be valid.

ExBuckfastdrinker

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 05:11:53 PM »

I would love to see the tories bring it in before stormont is reformed but its not going to happen.

I think that the same laws about it, should apply as equally in Northern Ireland as they do in the rest of the U.K., and I don't see any justifiable reason for exempting their application in Northern Ireland, which has such a small percentage of the U.K. population, merely because the majority political governing Party has strongly held religiously based views about the issue.

Particularly so when an overwhelming majority of the Northern Ireland population are in favour of permitting same sex marriage in Northern Ireland.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/gay-marriage-now-has-overwhelming-support-in-northern-ireland-poll-31355428.html

If that isn't a valid objection to such a legal regional exclusion, then neither would an objection to something such as judicial execution only in Northern Ireland be valid.

Nowhere man

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 05:31:54 PM »

Yes, it should.
Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Already Taken.

James James

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 06:22:51 PM »
I would love to see the Tories bring it in before Stormont is reformed but its not going to happen.
What isn't going to happen. ? The reforming of Stormont, or the introduction of same sex marriage in Northern Ireland by the Tories. ?

If the former, there is no definite assurance that will happen, and if it doesn't, there will be far more, and far more serious problems for Ulster to deal with than only same sex marriage,... and if the latter, well nobody could predict what the legislative consequences of direct rule from Westminster might be,... that's the unknown chance that the local politicians took when they, avoidably, caused that to happen,... and which the Ulster electorate took when they allowed them to cause that to happen.

Creaky

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 07:11:57 PM »
There is absolutely no valid reason why it should not be legal here. The outdated and unjustifiable attitudes of the DUP are holding much more than this back. Things need to change.
Love will always  change to sorrow, but everyone must play the game. We're here today and gone tomorrow, but the world goes on the same.

Astor

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 07:22:07 PM »

Of course it should.
Que Sera Sera

Eugene Mc Mullan

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 07:58:46 PM »
  When I lived in Belfast there were two gay people, one worked as a waiter downtown, and the other worked at the GNR. The waiter was very good with great service and very pleasant.

Eugene Mc Mullan

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 11:57:01 PM »
Same Sex Marriage, NO.

johnmc

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2018, 03:08:36 AM »
       JJ-----Overwhelming majority?   Polls ?
                 Here in Australia we had the same sort of quotes at the recent SSM debate and plebescite.
                        When the figures came in it was app two for/ one against.
                              Hardly a roaring majority.All talked up by the politicians and advocates.
                         The " no' voters ran a very dignified campaign and the result was accepted.
                     There was no great rush for marriage licences, the whole thing has gone from the headlines and we are back to affairs of state.
                              Regards   Johnmc

James James

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2018, 03:33:27 AM »
Well if that had anything to do with the UK and Northern Ireland situations and the public opinions of the British and Northern Irish populace and politicians, it might be relevant, but since it doesn't, it isn't.

"Should same sex marriage be legal in Northern Ireland ?"

James James

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2018, 03:42:13 AM »
Hypocracy ?, double standards ?,... well whatever, it kind of undermines any supposed justification for regional political opposition to same sex marriage in Northern Ireland.

Anyway, now that Westminster is, or may soon be about to, start running Northern Ireland on a permanent basis,... perhaps she might soon have a chance to support her claimed position with practical legislative action.

"July 20th 2017"
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/poll-do-you-support-theresa-mays-call-for-samesex-marriage-allowed-in-northern-ireland-35949077.html

"Prime Minister Theresa May has publicly backed the introduction of gay marriage in Northern Ireland."

The Conservative leader said that the LGBT community in the province should have the same rights as people across the UK.

It is currently the only region within the UK where same sex marriage is banned.

Writing for PinkNews - a gay rights website - Mrs May stated she wanted "All British citizens to enjoy the fullest freedoms and protections. That includes equal marriage - because marriage should be for everyone, regardless of their sexuality", she said.

"While that is a matter for the devolved government of Northern Ireland, I will continue to make my position clear - that LGBT people in Northern Ireland should have the same rights as people across the rest of the UK."

Her comments come weeks after the Tories formed a minority government with the DUP's support. The DUP has used the petition of concern voting mechanism at the Stormont Assembly to prevent a law change, despite a majority of MLAs supporting the move at the last vote.

Mrs May added that she will continue to push for LGBT rights, and acknowledged that her party and the DUP differed on the issue.

"My vision is of a world, at home and abroad, where there is no discrimination on the grounds of sexuality or gender identity", she said.

"We don't agree with them on their approach to same-sex marriage, and I'm very clear that the Conservative Party in government doesn't agree with the DUP on those issues on LGBT rights."

ExBuckfastdrinker

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2018, 11:30:53 AM »
       JJ-----Overwhelming majority?   Polls ?
                 Here in Australia we had the same sort of quotes at the recent SSM debate and plebescite.
                        When the figures came in it was app two for/ one against.
                              Hardly a roaring majority.All talked up by the politicians and advocates.
                         The " no' voters ran a very dignified campaign and the result was accepted.
                     There was no great rush for marriage licences, the whole thing has gone from the headlines and we are back to affairs of state.
                              Regards   Johnmc

Australia. Well hello there. Have you seen this. Its so funny.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEaoNV2T5rc

Creaky

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2018, 11:38:28 AM »
  When I lived in Belfast there were two gay people, one worked as a waiter downtown, and the other worked at the GNR. The waiter was very good with great service and very pleasant.
Only two? When I lived in Belfast, there was a heck of a lot more than that. :D
Love will always  change to sorrow, but everyone must play the game. We're here today and gone tomorrow, but the world goes on the same.

brixmis

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2018, 12:22:17 PM »
Will two siblings be allowed to marry each other?
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers.
Support Soldier F. He's my brother.
Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.