Author Topic: Should same sex marriage be legal in Northern Ireland?  (Read 16189 times)

James James

Re: Should same sex marriage be legal in Northern Ireland?
« Reply #330 on: May 18, 2019, 09:07:31 PM »
18th May 2019
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-48322068

"Lyra McKee's partner says NI marriage inequality 'unacceptable' "

"Sara Canning said equal marriage was not a "green or orange issue"

"The partner of murdered journalist Lyra McKee has demanded equal marriage rights for same-sex couples in Northern Ireland."

"Sara Canning, who was addressing a rally of thousands in Belfast, said the current situation was "not acceptable."

"She told the crowds gathered outside City Hall that a law change would be a "win" for everyone in Northern Ireland."

"Saturday's rally was organised by the Love Equality campaign - an umbrella group made up of organisations that support a law change."

https://loveequalityni.org/

"Ms Canning questioned why same-sex couple were treated differently in Northern Ireland - same-sex marriage is legal in the rest of the UK and in the Republic of Ireland."

"We pay our taxes, we are governed by the same laws, we love deeply and we love dearly - why should we not be afforded the same rights in marriage?" she asked."

"Equal marriage is not a green or orange issue, a demand of just one side or the other and it shouldn't be a political football."

"Ms Canning said she had dreamed of marrying the woman she loved and had shared her dream with Lyra before it was "snatched away"."

"Ms Canning has already challenged the prime minister to legislate for same-sex marriage in Northern Ireland."

"She said she spoke to Theresa May at Ms McKee's funeral, asking her to change the laws at Westminster if local politicians failed to act."

"On Saturday, she reiterated this challenge and said Westminster must legislate on the issue in the continued absence of local government."

tours

« Reply #331 on: May 19, 2019, 02:11:13 AM »
Is Lyra Mc Kee's brutal murder to be over shadowed, by those in the lgbt community using it for their own agenda??
It's simply going to turn alot of people off.
One minute she is an atheist, a politician, the next a journalist, and then a lgbt woman.
It's as if Lyra and her memory is being fought over by hungry Parasitical opportunists.
Yet in the end she is dead, and her family grieve. That's the bottom line.
An innocent young girl brutally murdered by people with nothing to offer.
Her memory being pulled from pillar to post.
I hope Our Lord shows her mercy.... Its for him to decide.

James James

« Reply #332 on: May 19, 2019, 02:48:20 PM »
Using her death and memory for their own agenda. ?!!!

Quite the contrary,... they and their heterosexual supporters, are celebrating HER agenda  and  her life and work and personal values.

She was a vigorous campaigner for gay and transgender legal and civil rights and societal tolerance and acceptance, and she had the support of her family.

This is a video of an 11.5 minute lecture that she gave about such matters.

https://www.ted.com/talks/lyra_mckee_in_memory_of?language=en

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ymU-5Y3rkY

"In Memory Of | Lyra McKee | TEDxStormontWomen"

"How uncomfortable conversations can save lives"

"Growing up as a gay teen in Northern Ireland, Lyra McKee had her share of disagreements with the Church and, as a journalist in her 20s, found herself estranged from religious institutions."

"It wasn't until 2017 and an unexpected conversation about LGBTQ rights in an Orlando mosque that she found herself reckoning with the influence of religion on marginalized lives."

"I realized that I couldn't run away from religion anymore because religion shapes how LGBT people are treated in the world," she says."

"In this hopeful talk, she points out plentiful evidence that religious institutions are capable of embracing LGBTQ rights and that the process begins with having that first difficult conversation."

"This talk was presented to a local audience at TEDxStormontWomen, an independent event."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight for LGBT equality is a fight for hearts and minds. Lyra McKee argues that changing religious teaching on LGBT people will literally save lives."

"Lyra McKee is a freelance journalist based in Belfast, Northern Ireland. She has written for publications including BuzzFeed, The Atlantic, and Private Eye."

"In 2006, she was named Sky News Young Journalist of the Year."

"In 2016, Forbes Magazine named her one of their 30 under 30 in media in Europe."

"She is represented by Janklow & Nesbit, a literary agency based in London and New York, and is currently working on her second book, with the first soon to be published."

"She is also an editor of Mediagazer, a media news site based in Silicon Valley."

Monkey Nuts

« Reply #333 on: May 20, 2019, 06:58:09 PM »

Well said J.J. 100% correct.

gray_marian

« Reply #334 on: May 21, 2019, 09:38:31 AM »
but as you say if it had been a young Constable murdered there wouldn’t have been a quarter of the hue and cry.

Unless of course Ali they were gay, or so it would seem!! ::)

misssmyth1

« Reply #335 on: May 21, 2019, 03:13:19 PM »
freedom of choice is a basic right in everything if two people love each other and want to get married where is the harm to anyone else .

brixmis

« Reply #336 on: May 21, 2019, 05:18:15 PM »
freedom of choice is a basic right in everything if two people love each other and want to get married where is the harm to anyone else .
I therefore refer you to my earlier posts nos #14 and #33
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers.
Support Soldier F. He's my brother.
Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dot/dash

« Reply #337 on: May 21, 2019, 06:14:47 PM »

#   338   
brixmis link=topic=71460.msg2136021#msg2136021 date=1558455495]

what a den of iniquity we'd live in if       ..      adult and child/uncle/aunt niece or nephew        .    were

legally allowed to marry           under the auspicious of          they love each other      freedom of choice

is their basic right            therefore are harming no one           

love me          love my gelding     

misssmyth1

« Reply #338 on: May 21, 2019, 10:40:38 PM »
I have gone back and re read posts 14 and 33 .I will clarify what I meant .I meant if two people of the same gender wish to marry I dont see any thing wrong with it , as for siblings or anyone marrying their mother i believe from reading about it it was illegal for medical reasons as any genetic problem was magnified with marrying so closely  in to the same family .. the  ancient Egyptians inter married .sisters brothers mothers to keep their line pure they believed but there is evidence of genetic problems being made stronger/more serious   by them doing this .correct me if I am wrong please .  I don't care if someone wants to marry their cat personally .

James James

« Reply #339 on: May 21, 2019, 11:14:11 PM »
Text and video statement  news report.

"April 28 2019"
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/samesex-marriage-referendum-in-northern-ireland-could-break-political-impasse-fianna-fail-38058060.html

"Same-sex marriage referendum in Northern Ireland could break political impasse – Fianna Fail"

"Party leader Michael Martin made his remarks at the annual Easter Rising commemoration at Arbour Hill in Dublin."

"A commitment to hold a referendum on marriage equality in Northern Ireland may be a way of breaking the political logjam in the region, the leader of Ireland’s main opposition party has said."

"Fianna Fail leader Michael Martin also backed the SDLP’s proposition to suspend the petition of concern in the Assembly as another way of allowing powersharing government in the region to resume."

"He made the remarks at the party’s annual Easter Rising commemoration at Arbour Hill in Dublin on Sunday."

"In his speech, Mr Martin said: “The use of the petition of concern to block marriage equality or other measures designed to respect rights not undermine them is an unquestionable abuse.”

"The mechanism was designed to ensure that contentious legislation could only be introduced with cross-community support."

"Opponents of the device argued it was used to block legislation, such as abortion and welfare reform."

“Alternatively, an immediate commitment to a referendum which would quickly follow restoration might be a way out – and a large majority in Westminster would quickly enable the required legislation,” he added."

"The ongoing ban on same-sex marriage in the region has divided the parties."

"Political leaders have come under significant pressure to restore the institutions following the killing of journalist Lyra McKee in Derry."

"At her funeral last week, Catholic priest Father Martin Magill challenged politicians as to why it had taken the death of the 29-year-old, who was shot by dissident republicans, to unite them."

"It is now more than two years since powersharing in Northern Ireland collapsed amid controversy over a renewable heat incentive."

"On Friday the British and Irish governments confirmed a new round of political talks aimed at re-establishing institutions in the region would begin on May 7. All of the main parties will be invited."

"Mr Martin told the crowd gathered that Fianna Fail welcomed the decision of the two governments to re-engage more actively with the parties."

“Clearly, Sinn Fein and the DUP have deep problems with how they deal with each other as well as other parties,” he said."

“No matter how much people try to claim otherwise, they (the institutions) weren’t pulled down on high principle or to improve democratic legitimacy, they were pulled down to score political points.”

"After his address, Mr Martin told reporters: “We agree with the SDLP proposition about the suspension of the petition of concern as a basis for the immediate restoration of the Assembly and the Executive."

“An alternative idea, if this would break the logjam, would be an immediate commitment to a referendum on marriage equality which might be a way to deal with the issue.”

"Mr Martin added that the institutions should never have been collapsed over the heating scandal."

“When scandals happen in any political system or within any government, you deal with the scandal, you have the inquiry but you don’t collapse parliament and I think that was a fundamental mistake that was made,” he said."

tours

« Reply #340 on: May 22, 2019, 01:03:02 PM »
I have gone back and re read posts 14 and 33 .I will clarify what I meant .I meant if two people of the same gender wish to marry I dont see any thing wrong with it , as for siblings or anyone marrying their mother i believe from reading about it it was illegal for medical reasons as any genetic problem was magnified with marrying so closely  in to the same family .. the  ancient Egyptians inter married .sisters brothers mothers to keep their line pure they believed but there is evidence of genetic problems being made stronger/more serious   by them doing this .correct me if I am wrong please .  I don't care if someone wants to marry their cat personally .
"I don't care if someone wants to marry there cat"  
This is exactly the immoral abyss, where many would and are taking us. Make no mistake. This type of 'anything goes' society. Its satanic.

James James

« Reply #341 on: May 23, 2019, 02:44:31 AM »

Text and video news report.

"7 May 2019"
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/northern-ireland-talks-same-sex-marriage-westminster-sinn-fein-latest-a8903381.html

"Northern Ireland: UK government promised to introduce same sex marriage, says Sinn Fein"

"As fresh talks got underway in Belfast, Conor Murphy MP said that Westminster would pass the legislation if power sharing failed"

"Sinn Fein​ has claimed that the UK government made it a promise to introduce same sex marriage for Northern Ireland at Westminster."

"The comments emerged this morning as Sinn Fein​ and the DUP prepared to engage in fresh talks at Stormont, aimed at restoring power sharing to the region after almost two and a half years."

"Speaking on BBC Radio Ulster’s The Nolan Show, Conor Murphy MP said that if the Northern Ireland Assembly failed, or blocked the issue of same sex marriage, Sinn Fein​ “had an assurance that it would be passed in Westminster”.

"Mr Murphy implied the commitment was made by the UK government to the Sinn Fein​ negotiating team in February 2018, when talks last failed."

"He added: “They were very clear about it.”  etcetera,...

brixmis

« Reply #342 on: May 23, 2019, 06:53:50 AM »

#   338   
brixmis link=topic=71460.msg2136021#msg2136021 date=1558455495]

what a den of iniquity we'd live in if       ..      adult and child/uncle/aunt niece or nephew        .    were

legally allowed to marry           under the auspicious of          they love each other      freedom of choice

is their basic right            therefore are harming no one           
I agree. The point I am making is that up to recently the act of sodomy was illegal. Now, "Just because they love each other", it is "their right" and god help you if you disagree.
The real reason is more probably for financial security. Therefore, for example, why can't two elderly spinster or bachelor siblings not get married to protect the family finances from inheritance taxes? Yes, it is illegal FOR NOW.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers.
Support Soldier F. He's my brother.
Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

James James

« Reply #343 on: May 25, 2019, 08:39:42 PM »
"25 May 2019"
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-48396081

"Bangor councillor nips out of meeting to get hitched"

"It was a short trip from civic duty to civil partnership for a newly-elected County Down councillor."

"Councillor Ray McKimm and partner Pól Hayes booked their partnership ceremony at Bangor Castle some time ago."

"Mr McKimm later discovered the first meeting of Ards and North Down Borough Council was scheduled for the same time as the ceremony on Wednesday."

"Luckily, councillors agreed to put back the meeting to allow him to nip across the corridor to sign the legal papers."

"As first reported in the County Down Spectator, Mr McKimm was taken aback by what happened next."

"The next moment took me by surprise - everybody broke into applause right across the chamber," he said."

'Mind shift'

"The new councillor has taken this as a sign of changing attitudes."

"There's a mind shift right across the chamber here," he said."

"The couple began planning the ceremony two years ago in the expectation they would be able to get married as in other parts of the UK."

"Mr McKimm said they thought the law would change."

"He now hopes that, if there is no return to a Stormont executive, legislation allowing for same-sex marriage in Northern Ireland will be introduced at Westminster."

"Mr McKimm was elected as an independent candidate for Bangor Central in the the elections on 2 May."

"He stood on a platform of urban regeneration for the seaside town, having worked on development projects for the World Health Organisation in the past."

"Bangor Council were very accommodating and were able to move the meeting to 1pm so I could nip out in the lunch break and sign our civil partnership papers and back in," he said."

'True English gentleman'

"Wednesday's council meeting was one of the most important of the year as Alderman Bill Keery was appointed mayor."

"The mayor is elected on the D'Hondt system, similar to that used to select ministers in the Stormont executive, and requires all the councillors to be present."

"When the council's chief executive first mentioned the date of the meeting to Mr McKimm he said he thought:"

"I'm doing something that day and then 'Oh, my word!'"

"Mr McKimm described partner Pól as "a true English gentleman" who backed him up during the election campaign and was "very supportive" when the clash of dates came to light."

"The couple had mistakenly thought the elections would be held later in the year."

"Ray and Pól have invited 100 people to a celebration of their union on Saturday, including a picnic in a teepee."

"We are committed to each other as though it were a wedding," he told the BBC."

"Pól and Ray with Ray's daughters Eister and Hannah"

James James

« Reply #344 on: May 26, 2019, 10:03:30 AM »
"May 26 2014"
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/general-election-2017/three-gay-politicians-on-newly-elected-belfast-city-council-30304675.html

"Three gay politicians on newly elected Belfast City council"

" 'Imagine no longer the only gay in the village,' tweets Sinn Fein councillor"

Quote,...

There will be three openly gay politicians – two lesbians and a gay man – on the new Belfast City Council.

The news was revealed in a celebratory tweet from Councillor Mary Ellen Campbell of Sinn Fein after her election.

"Aren't the electorate amazing... Imagine no longer the only gay in the village," the north Belfast woman posted after hearing she had been returned to the new super council.

The two newcomers are Julie Anne Corr of the Progressive Unionist Party and Jeff Dudgeon of the Ulster Unionists.

Mr Dudgeon, a former civil servant, was once the best known gay activist in Northern Ireland.

In 1982 he took a landmark case to the European Court of Human Rights which resulted in male homosexuality being legalised here for the first time.

He said last night that he did not know the two women councillors and would wait to meet them before deciding whether they could cooperate on particular issues.

Ms Corr, who represents Oldpark in north Belfast, is a board member of gay helpline Carafriend.

https://cara-friend.org.uk/

However, she stressed that she also had other priorities.

"Whilst I am open about my sexuality, I will not let it define me or allow anyone to fit me into a neat category," she said.

The PUP and Sinn Fein support same sex marriage, while the UUP allows a free vote on the issue.