Author Topic: Belfast trial of two Rugby players for rape  (Read 23113 times)

James James

Belfast trial of two Rugby players for rape
« on: February 01, 2018, 04:25:23 PM »
This case is currently being heard in Belfast.

"February 1st 2018"
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/ireland-rugby-players-rape-trial-sometimes-she-wept-but-she-also-displayed-a-steely-determination-36553645.html

"Ireland rugby players rape trial: Sometimes she wept, but she also displayed a steely determination"

ExBuckfastdrinker

Re: Belfast trial of two Rugby players for rape
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 04:50:11 PM »
So far it is not sounding good. The whats app messages alone make them sound like right scum bags. I noticed one of them(cant remember there names) had his family go in to court with him on the 1st day and after the whats app part came out, the next day he was on his own going to court.

James James

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 05:53:56 PM »

"Composite image shows Ireland and Ulster rugby players Paddy Jackson (left) and Stuart Olding (right) arrive at Belfast Crown Court  Image: Brian Lawless/Liam McBurney/Liam McBurney/PA Wire/PA Images"

http://www.newstalk.com/Belfast-rape-trial-hears-evidence-from-alleged-victim

ExBuckfastdrinker

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 09:43:10 PM »

Anybody know how long the court case will be? 

ExBuckfastdrinker

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 12:52:27 PM »
Picture of the disgusting whats app messages.

Joe 90

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 05:59:48 PM »
I'm sorry, it is not my wish to offend you, but I think you need to be very careful what you say online about a case in progress. You could find yourself accused of subjudice - a very serious offence. I would suggest this discussion is taken down.

ExBuckfastdrinker

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 08:57:04 PM »

I'm sorry also but that is untrue. sub judice only applies to members of the jury in this trial, not the general public.

I'm sorry, it is not my wish to offend you, but I think you need to be very careful what you say online about a case in progress. You could find yourself accused of subjudice - a very serious offence. I would suggest this discussion is taken down.

CMcG

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2018, 09:08:06 PM »

I'm sorry also but that is untrue. sub judice only applies to members of the jury in this trial, not the general public.

I don't understand your point, the gist of contempt law is that it bans comments, including those on internet forums like this one, of any comments or information that might seriously prejudice active legal proceedings, such as this case being heard before a jury.

CMcG

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2018, 09:16:10 PM »

I don't understand your point, the gist of contempt law is that it bans comments, including those on internet forums like this one, of any comments or information that might seriously prejudice active legal proceedings, such as this case being heard before a jury.

I'm not saying that well.  I thought that anyone could be sub judice, not just the media?

Joe 90

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2018, 10:14:10 PM »
I think you will find that ANYONE Who comments on a public forum or in the media on a current court case could be guilty of subjudice. Any comment implying guilt or innocence of defendants, or questioning the honesty of a witness runs the risk of legal consequences.

ExBuckfastdrinker

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2018, 12:10:20 AM »

Then the PPS is going to be busy for the next couple of years as it is being discussed on ever media facebook page and internet media site in the U.K.
 :D

[/size]
[/size]

[/size]
I'm not saying that well.  I thought that anyone could be sub judice, not just the media?
[/size]

[/size]
I think you will find that ANYONE Who comments on a public forum or in the media on a current court case could be guilty of subjudice. Any comment implying guilt or innocence of defendants, or questioning the honesty of a witness runs the risk of legal consequences.
[/size]

ExBuckfastdrinker

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2018, 12:12:30 AM »
So guys when is UTV, ITN, RTE and BBC getting hit with sub judice for discussing the case live on air  :D

James James

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2018, 01:58:14 AM »
If I correctly understand the picture post above, it is a media newspaper report of the evidence that was presented in the case in court, and which was then published in the media, and reporting and publishing such accounts of the proceedings in a court by the media is perfectly legal, in fact in a democratic society it is one of the public duties of the media, and the public discussion of such reported court proceedings by the public is also perfectly legal.

It would only be illegal, if evidence that was to be presented in a future court case was published and or publicly discussed before the case had started, because doing that would be prejudicial to the defendant/defendants and or to the plaintiff/plaintiffs in any future legal court case, and might also prejudice and undermine the impartial prosecution of the case, and had any future jurors have seen such material before they had to hear and consider the case in court, that would have undermined their  impartiality.