Author Topic: Belfast trial of two Rugby players for rape  (Read 28755 times)

James James

Re: Belfast trial of two Rugby players for rape
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2018, 02:23:37 AM »
Those electronic communications in the media report in the picture above, that were sent by some of the participants in the court case have already been published in media reports of the evidence given in the court case court case.
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/paddy-jackson-and-stuart-olding-bragged-of-sex-exploits-to-friends-in-series-of-text-messages-court-hears-36548957.html

ExBuckfastdrinker

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2018, 12:26:11 PM »

100 percent correct.

If I correctly understand the picture post above, it is a media newspaper report of the evidence that was presented in the case in court, and which was then published in the media, and reporting and publishing such accounts of the proceedings in a court by the media is perfectly legal, in fact in a democratic society it is one of the public duties of the media, and the public discussion of such reported court proceedings by the public is also perfectly legal.

It would only be illegal, if evidence that was to be presented in a future court case was published and or publicly discussed before the case had started, because doing that would be prejudicial to the defendant/defendants and or to the plaintiff/plaintiffs in any future legal court case, and might also prejudice and undermine the impartial prosecution of the case, and had any future jurors have seen such material before they had to hear and consider the case in court, that would have undermined their  impartiality.

Joe 90

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2018, 03:17:07 PM »
If I correctly understand the picture post above, it is a media newspaper report of the evidence that was presented in the case in court, and which was then published in the media, and reporting and publishing such accounts of the proceedings in a court by the media is perfectly legal, in fact in a democratic society it is one of the public duties of the media, and the public discussion of such reported court proceedings by the public is also perfectly legal.

It would only be illegal, if evidence that was to be presented in a future court case was published and or publicly discussed before the case had started, because doing that would be prejudicial to the defendant/defendants and or to the plaintiff/plaintiffs in any future legal court case, and might also prejudice and undermine the impartial prosecution of the case, and had any future jurors have seen such material before they had to hear and consider the case in court, that would have undermined their  impartiality.

Please note that I specified CURRENT cases. What is said after the trial is over is not under the same restriction. Secondly, once someone has been charged with an offence, the rules on subjudice come into force. Even commmenting on the character of defendants or witnesses is risky. Newspapers may report the evidence of a trial, but must not make any comment or express any opinion that could be prejudicial to the result. They can say virtually anything they like when the trial is over.
There have been cases here in England where members of the public have made unwise statements on social media , only to find themselves in court later on. The police can and do track down those who make such comments - an alias may not protect you.
I don't think I need to say any more on this.

ExBuckfastdrinker

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2018, 05:20:57 PM »

Thats all very well and good but none of what you just said applies to any post on this thread.

Please note that I specified CURRENT cases. What is said after the trial is over is not under the same restriction. Secondly, once someone has been charged with an offence, the rules on subjudice come into force. Even commmenting on the character of defendants or witnesses is risky. Newspapers may report the evidence of a trial, but must not make any comment or express any opinion that could be prejudicial to the result. They can say virtually anything they like when the trial is over.
There have been cases here in England where members of the public have made unwise statements on social media , only to find themselves in court later on. The police can and do track down those who make such comments - an alias may not protect you.
I don't think I need to say any more on this.

Bigali

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2018, 05:31:41 PM »
Thats all very well and good but none of what you just said applies to any post on this thread.

Your reply at #1  
Support Soldier F Support Soldier B

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

ExBuckfastdrinker

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2018, 05:47:12 PM »

I doubt it. But if you think differently go ahead and report it to the authorities.
Let me know how you get on.  O0 

Your reply at #1  

Bigali

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2018, 05:53:24 PM »
 ::)
Support Soldier F Support Soldier B

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

James James

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2018, 07:54:45 PM »
"Thursday, February 1st"
https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/ireland-rugby-manager-refuses-to-comment-on-attendance-of-irish-players-at-rape-trial-825926.html

"Ireland rugby manager refuses to comment on controversial attendance of Irish players at rape trial"

"Friday, February 2nd"
https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/rory-best-declines-to-comment-on-attendance-at-rape-trial-826093.html

"Rory Best declines to comment on attendance at rape trial"

"2nd February 2018"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-42919523

"MLA asks why Ulster players attended rugby rape trial"

"Alliance MLA Paula Bradshaw has said she has written to Ulster Rugby to ask what guidance was provided to team members over attending the rape trial of Paddy Jackson and Stuart Olding."

"Ulster players Mr Jackson and Mr Olding both deny raping a woman in Belfast in June 2016."

"On Wednesday, Ulster players Rory Best, Iain Henderson and Craig Gilroy were pictured attending the trial."

"Asked on Friday why he had attended, Rory Best replied "no comment"."

https://twitter.com/PaulaJaneB/status/959360299806674944

Etcetera...

tours

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2018, 08:57:49 PM »
'A culture of entitlement' within Rugby in general.
Make you think..hmm

ExBuckfastdrinker

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2018, 08:59:26 PM »

Thought as much. Back to the crayons for you i guess.
Have a good weekend.

::)

ExBuckfastdrinker

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2018, 09:02:29 PM »

Rory asked 3 times and the 3rd time a rep from Irish Rugby had to answer for him. Big brave man on the pitch, coward at a press conference.

"Thursday, February 1st"
https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/ireland-rugby-manager-refuses-to-comment-on-attendance-of-irish-players-at-rape-trial-825926.html

"Ireland rugby manager refuses to comment on controversial attendance of Irish players at rape trial"

"Friday, February 2nd"
https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/rory-best-declines-to-comment-on-attendance-at-rape-trial-826093.html

"Rory Best declines to comment on attendance at rape trial"

"2nd February 2018"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-42919523

"MLA asks why Ulster players attended rugby rape trial"

"Alliance MLA Paula Bradshaw has said she has written to Ulster Rugby to ask what guidance was provided to team members over attending the rape trial of Paddy Jackson and Stuart Olding."

"Ulster players Mr Jackson and Mr Olding both deny raping a woman in Belfast in June 2016."

"On Wednesday, Ulster players Rory Best, Iain Henderson and Craig Gilroy were pictured attending the trial."

"Asked on Friday why he had attended, Rory Best replied "no comment"."

https://twitter.com/PaulaJaneB/status/959360299806674944

Etcetera...

jjmack

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2018, 11:19:53 AM »
Trial by Forum ?  ???
Wear your RED POPPY with PRIDE.  Lest we forget. BUY BRITISH.  Support the forces of LAW and ORDER, PAST and PRESENT. Justice for the BRITISH ARMY.

ExBuckfastdrinker

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2018, 04:11:50 PM »

James James

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2018, 05:01:52 PM »
"3rd February"
http://www.ayradvertiser.com/news/15918544.Rugby_captain_to_be_character_witness_in_Ulster_teammates____rape_trial/

"Rugby captain to be character witness in Ulster teammates’ rape trial"

"Ireland and Ulster rugby captain Rory Best says he is to be a character witness at the trial of two teammates for rape."

"Best, who led the Irish team to victory against France in the Six Nations tournament on Saturday, was spotted at Belfast Crown Court on Wednesday where Stuart Olding, 24, and Paddy Jackson, 26, are standing trial accused of rape."

"The Ireland and Ulster rugby players are accused of raping the same woman at a property in south Belfast in June 2016. Jackson is also charged with sexual assault."

"Speaking at a press conference after the match in Paris, Best was asked if the Irish Rugby Football Union had given him permission to attend the trial."

"He told reporters: “We sign out on Tuesday night, Wednesday is our day off, so technically we don’t need permission to do stuff on our own time." "

" “The reason I was there, it’s on the record I’ve been called as a character witness." "

" “I was advised it was important to attend, so I got both sides of the story." "

" “Because it’s an ongoing legal matter, I will make no further comment than that.” "

Fellow Lions, Ireland and Ulster star Iain Henderson were also seen at the court last week.

Ireland and Ulster winger Craig Gilroy was also present at the trial on Wednesday, as was Ulster prop Kyle McCall.

Alliance Party Northern Ireland Assembly member Paula Bradshaw said she had written to Ulster Rugby asking what guidance was provided to its team members in relation to attending the rape trial.

Olding and Jackson deny the charges.