Author Topic: Tudor Lodge Private Nursing Home. Downshire Road, Newry  (Read 1940 times)

AJC130

Tudor Lodge Private Nursing Home. Downshire Road, Newry
« on: February 03, 2018, 12:30:09 AM »
This is where I was born 1947 could anyone tell me more about this place ?

BC50

Re: Tudor Lodge Private Nursing Home. Downshire Road, Newry
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 11:44:47 PM »
If this residence was built before 1850 and was the only Tudor residence on Downshire, it used to belong to my Great Great Great Grandfather John Corbett Esq.  My 2 x Greaat Grandmother delivered her 5 children at the residence.  Twins daughters in 1839, another daughter in 1841 and a daughter in 1844.  The last child, my Great Grandfather was born there in 1850.  I was there last May and was able to drive by the residence but I did not want to disturb anyone by asking to see the inside.  I was told it is now, again, a private residence. 
John Corbett Esq was the N.P. in Newry in the early 1800's and the Churchwarden at the old church on the hill. 

I am not sure if this is of interest to you or if you were looking for more currant information.  This is all the information I have.  I am still trying to find the location and name of my 3x Great Grandmother (John's wife) and of my 2x Great Grandmother (Marianna Corbett Blayney).

Marleen

DonalAnthony

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 02:58:52 AM »
From the age of about 8 until I was about 17 I lived opposite Tudor Lodge on the Belfast Road (Downshire Road) in Newry. That was from the mid 1950s to the mid 1960s.  It was still a Nursing Home then, run by a lady known by everyone as Matron McCabe. In fact her name was synonymous with the “Tudor Lodge” name at the time. Matron McCabe was a Scott and the sister-in-law of a respected Newry GP, Dr William Rafferty. They were old family friends of my mother’s. After Matron McCabe retired it ceased to be a nursing home, I think in the early 60s. Dr Rafferty and his family, wife, two daughters and two sons moved from their town centre home out to Tudor Lodge and it became a family home for the Raffertys and McCabes. (Interesting detail for golf fans: one of the Rafferty grandsons was Ronan Rafferty who had a period of success as a professional golfer, including being part of a British Ryder Cup team who won a notable, and at that time rare, victory over the American team.)

AJC130

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2020, 12:15:25 AM »
Thank you. I’m more interested in the years preceding I.e. 1947 July when I was born there.  I have the name of the person present at my birth but it as the McCabe.

BenMcDowell

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2020, 03:13:12 AM »
Hi Donal, AJC130, BC50
My name is Ben McDowell, I am the son of Sheila Rafferty and grandson of Margaret McCabe and Dr William Rafferty. I was looking for information on my mother's side of the family. Tudor Lodge was the home of my grandparents where I spend many very happy days. My grandfather passed away around 1972, my grandmother a year or two earlier.
My own mother passed 12th August 2019 here in Melbourne, she was 82.
We are living in Australia currently.. always have a desire to live back in Ireland again.
My grandparents had 5 children

Desmond -  - passed (Ronan & Stephen's  father)
Liam  - passed lived in Canada
Rosaleen - passed lived Boston
Patrick - passed last year (lived in Killarney)
Sheila - My Mum passed last year here in Melbourne.

Aunt Rose McCabe was my grandmother's sister and she also lived and worked at the nursing home. She was a beautiful woman who lived for her work and babies. She rarely travelled and was a very devout woman.. she was one of a kind.
I took my Mum back to Ireland, it was her final trip.. we were heading from Dundalk to Belfast and as we drove out the Downshire Rd I decided we have to stop and say hello. I parked the car at the gate and I went up the drive.
I was met by a lovely lady and after mentioning to her my reason for my visit, she asked "Is your mother in the car"? I said yes, she said "go down and bring her up".. we had a lovely visit and we were asked to come in for a cup of tea. It was a terrific experience to go into the house again an it was very familiar after nearly 50 years.

I am rambling now.. I am very keen to know more about the family. I was born in Drogheda and grew up on a farm south of Dundalk. Moved to Australia when I was 18 .. long time ago.

It was really nice to see your posts.. 

JohnKelly

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2020, 06:29:14 AM »

Truncated Post. ....I was born in Drogheda and grew up on a farm south of Dundalk. Moved to Australia when I was 18 .. long time ago.

:hi: - G'day Ben, I moved to Australia in 1964 when I was 19 and never looked back, retired in 2007 after having spent 40 years in uniform.

Went back in 1999 to tour Ireland, England and Scotland and had the same friendly welcome when I/we visited houses/places that I used to live which was mainly in County Down and later in the outskirts of Belfast near Stormont.

The locals referred to it as 'Tracing Your Roots'

The Irish Diaspora is an interesting study, especially in relation to Australia, America and Canada and the influence the Irish had in the development of those countries.

Cheers.