Author Topic: 9 lavina street  (Read 1428 times)

CMcG

Re: 9 lavina street
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2018, 02:12:49 PM »
Just thinking this through a bit more and I'm wondering, have you seen a copy of the birth registration for Norman or any of his siblings, if so, did it state the mother's maiden surname as McCallan? If not, is the knowledge that William Hoy married Sarah McCallan based on family lore? Or from another source?

The reason I'm asking is that I've now found a viable marriage for a Sarah McCallan, daughter of David McCallan a flax-dresser, the address of 41 Wolfhill Avenue is different to the 1911 census return address of 18 Legnavea Street (house 9 = street no. 18), but there's literally only a few hundred yards between the two addresses.  And her age is close enough.  The 1910 Belfast street directory shows D McCallan at 18 Legnavea Street, the 1918 directory shows him gone from that address (a different person is there) and shows a D McCallan at 41 Wolfhill Avenue.  Anyway, here's the marriage:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1916/09784/5551327.pdf

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

sunflower38

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2018, 02:16:26 PM »
Hi CMcG,

Yes  by looking at the census it does suggest this !!! but this is going by the census information. as my grand dad is named William Hoy also i do know my nan is named Sarah Mccallan .  that is fact .

Once looking at the census i did have to take a double look just to make sure i was reading it right.

based on the census ive worked out the year my nans sisters and brother birth year, and gone from there.
where would i find my aunts and uncles birth certificates . they all lived at lavina street when they were born .

Austin HOY
Raymond Hoy
Farley HOY ( i think he emigrated to Austrailia)
Norman Hoy (my dad came to england in 1950/60) D.O.B 06/11/1924
William Hoy
Rachel Hoy
Everlyn Hoy
Enid Hoy
Ann or Annie HOY whom i believed married a James Slater they came to visit my dad in the early 80s
 There is 2 more but i do not know there names that 1 more brother and 1 more sister

sunflower38

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2018, 02:19:07 PM »
hi
Just as i sent the reply yours came through,
i will have to look into this a bit more , you must admit , it is very intriguing just hope ive not open up a can of worms , maybe your theory is correct  :)
[size=78%] [/size]

CMcG

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2018, 05:53:27 PM »
I don't know, this has left me scratching my head so it has, lol.  :D  Just take the forename Farley, in all my 50+ (ahem) years, the only other person with the forename Farley that I've heard of, was the actor Farley Granger, perhaps most famous for the Hitchcock films 'Rope' and 'Stranger on  a Train' - great films.

By way of example of its rarity here in Ireland, the 1911 census only lists two people with Farley as a forename, two out of 4,384,518 people.   

I know you mentioned the possibility that Farley Hoy emigrated to Australia, but a Farley Hoy with a birthdate of 1930-1932 was listed in the UK electoral registers under a residence date of 2003-2009 at 7 Winchester Crescent, Carryduff, which is just south of the outskirts of Belfast. And there is the following 'In Memoriam' entry in the Belfast Telegraph of December 2010:
http://classifieds.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/advert/northern-ireland/family-notices/in-memoriam/103439/Hoy-Farley-In-Memoriam

What are the chances of that? Could it be a co-incidence?

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

cyndyjones

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2018, 03:33:43 AM »
My maiden name was Hoy and the Ezekiel Hoy (farmer)  from Ballymagarrick was my great grandfather. He married Mary Anne Reid and William Hoy was one of their sons - my grandfather (also named Ezekiel) was another son. To confuse things even more - my dad was also called Ezekiel Hoy!

I live in Canada now and will have to check my information but I am 99% certain my grandfather had a sister called Rachael as well.

cyndyjones

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2018, 03:25:34 AM »
Hello. I replied to another post written by you. My grandfather, Ezekiel Hoy, and the William Hoy you wrote about seem to be brothers.  Their father was also called Ezekiel - as was my father.  My brother (and his son) also have Ezekiel as their middle name.
Best wishes.

[email protected]

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2020, 01:12:55 PM »
I believe my great grandfather was Ignatius McGall. His son William James McGall was my grandfather. He had 5 daughters, one of them being my mum Minnie McGall.
I was born in Edinburgh andIíve been looking into my Irish roots, unfortunately I hardly knew my grandfather and my mum never really spoke about Ireland. Though I believe she went there as a young woman on holiday
Im planning to visit Ireland this year and would like to visit places where the McGalls lived and worked, plus any other information you may have. Any help would be much appreciated.