Author Topic: Political, Social/Culltural life of Shipyard. Candid Memories and Accounts  (Read 248 times)

brendain122

Hi. I'm doing some back ground research on the shipyard and I'm looking to collect memories/first hand accounts of shipyard workers about working in the Shipyard during 1950s and early 1960s. What I need are honest, candid and to the point sharing and replies. I would like to ask questions about the labour and trade union movement inthose years, the senstive issues people are often reluctant to talk about such as sectarianism, influence of the Orange Order, Ulster Protestant Action, alternative narratives addressing 'the informal' day to day life such as the 'card schools, visits of workers to corn market cinemas such as the Royal and the Empire during workinghours, pitch and toss gambling, the life of the 'Bishops' - evangelical Christians.  Let kick off with a proposition I'm aware off and I invite honest and forthrightbut respectful reaction to it in terms of agreeing, disageeing etc.  I 'm simply offering the opportunity to use this forum for an honest and forthright exchange of views.  here is it,
 It was the so called ‘beating heart’ of Ulster loyalism, the epicentre of loyalist working class power in Belfast. This was where the well-oiled power structure of the unionist establishment manipulated the Protestant working class ‘to do as they wished’, in return for their ‘loyalty’, a stage-managed merry go round for jobs, perks and party politics in a loyalist theme park; the Achilles heel of Ulster loyalism.
[/font]
I invite your reaction please.
[/font]

roycraw.

Re: Political, Social/Culltural life of Shipyard. Candid Memories and Accounts
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 07:30:12 AM »
Hi. I'm doing some back ground research on the shipyard and I'm looking to collect memories/first hand accounts of shipyard workers about working in the Shipyard during 1950s and early 1960s. What I need are honest, candid and to the point sharing and replies. I would like to ask questions about the labour and trade union movement inthose years, the senstive issues people are often reluctant to talk about such as sectarianism, influence of the Orange Order, Ulster Protestant Action, alternative narratives addressing 'the informal' day to day life such as the 'card schools, visits of workers to corn market cinemas such as the Royal and the Empire during workinghours, pitch and toss gambling, the life of the 'Bishops' - evangelical Christians.  Let kick off with a proposition I'm aware off and I invite honest and forthrightbut respectful reaction to it in terms of agreeing, disageeing etc.  I 'm simply offering the opportunity to use this forum for an honest and forthright exchange of views.  here is it,
 It was the so called ‘beating heart’ of Ulster loyalism, the epicentre of loyalist working class power in Belfast. This was where the well-oiled power structure of the unionist establishment manipulated the Protestant working class ‘to do as they wished’, in return for their ‘loyalty’, a stage-managed merry go round for jobs, perks and party politics in a loyalist theme park; the Achilles heel of Ulster loyalism.
[/font]
[/font]
its ok b122,    i've found it.      roy  c.

roycraw.

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 07:59:06 AM »
[/font]
[/font]
  hi b122, i'll cover what i can on your post,  i 'served my time'  in the yard from 1953 and left there in1960,  i served my first few years in the queens works boiler shop before going out onto the 'boats' at the fitting out wharfs,  after a while out there i did notice a change in some things, sectarianism was alive and well in a way i had not found in the boilershop.  the unions were very strong but they were definitely influenced by the various protestant movements, to what extent it is hard to say. but i know for a fact that there were those in the union who would have none of this and who fought solely for the working man,     my own uncle:  sammy cree was one of those.        on a lighter theme: gambling in the 'yard',     was there ever,   each boat on the fitting out had its own wee bookie and crown and anchor man who appeared each lunchhour,      here's how it worked:  on each boat there would be someone who would look after the crown and anchor board ,  it folded up and together with its box and dice was kept in a locked toolbox.   the same man just before lunchtime would tape up on a bulkhead the days racing papers all ready for action,   but how did these bookies etc. just get there?  simple,   they hopped on a tram in and hopped out the same way , brilliant.     each guy who minded the board etc. was of course on a few quid a week.  the bookie bit was owned by a legit. bookie.   joe mckee,     don't know about the crown and anchor men,       and yes there was a lunchtime 'toss'  with serious money involved mostly held at the deep water wharf with a couple of belfast hardmen to keep order.    politics?  yes the unionist party played us like puppets.     got more to tell you and i will get back to you on that.   cheers,   roy  c.   

brendain122

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 05:56:05 PM »
Hi Roy. Much appreciated. That kind of memoir. information just the kind of sharing i needed. You can go so far with books but first hand accounts you can't beat. Interrresting stuff about the gambling. Look forward to the political you indidated. Cheers.