Author Topic: Cromac Street and the markets  (Read 5395 times)

ech43

Cromac Street and the markets
« on: February 17, 2018, 08:33:17 AM »
Hi!  I am looking for old photographs of Cromac Street in particular but also the wider markets area.  Ideally from the 1930s-1960's (or earlier) but really ANY photos of the area before the clearances of the houses around the top of Cromac Street would be of huge interest. Even pictures where the street is in the background would be great!

I would also love to hear from anyone who might have class or other photos from Eliza Street school in the 1940's or Oxford Street CBS from 1930's.

My interest is partly my own family history (I am the grand daughter of Mick Hughes who ran a shop at the top of Cromac Street until the late 1950's with Lily Murray - I have seen reference to them on these forums before and would love to hear from anyone who remembers them!) and also because I am doing some research into the history of the area.

Any help much appreciated!

Thanks!

Dub

Re: Cromac Street and the markets
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 09:09:25 PM »
http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,6297.0.html

This link above was for the original  "Who do you know from the Market thread", it went to over 900 pages before being set back for a newer thread.which is under the Belfast history section. There should be some photo of interest on both .
                                                                                            All the best,Dub.
If you don't read the papers,you are not informed.
When you do read the papers, you are misinformed.  ( Mark Twain. )

danso

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 11:36:58 PM »
Try facebook.the real market Area plenty of photos there

ech43

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 02:31:38 PM »
Many thanks Dub and danso for your replies I will have a look at both of those.

Cheers!

jburke5

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2021, 12:28:02 AM »
Hi, Lily Murray was a relative of mine, by any chance are you related to her? Best regards, Jack

ech43

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2021, 03:50:54 PM »
Hi Jack,

Yes, if it is the same Lily, she was my aunt - although I never knew her myself.  How are you related?!

E

jburke5

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2021, 04:24:12 PM »
Hi, thanks for coming back to me! I am aware that my great-grandmother Mary Jane Doran from Kilberry, County Meath, was a first cousin of a Lily Murray who had a shop on Cromac Street, Belfast.

I can only assume that these Lily Murrays are one and the same! I have a lot of Murray information and I actually visited the family graves last Friday to leave flowers. I would love to have a chat with you - my email is jackburke1900@gmail .com, if you would like to message me there, so we can work out if we have the same Lily Murrays.

By the way I am putting a space in my email address there, as otherwise this site will not allow me to write it out! Of course, there is no space in my actual email.

Jack

ech43

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2021, 09:36:53 AM »
Hi Jack!

I sent you an email - let me know if you haven't got it and I'll re-send. I'd love to know more about the Murray!

All the best,

Ellen

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy