Author Topic: McNamee/Mclaughlin.  (Read 1271 times)

CMcG

Re: McNamee/Mclaughlin.
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2018, 04:14:20 PM »
No problem Eileen, come back when you're ready, BTW do you have a rough year for the siblings moving to Scotland and the USA?

Tipperdarby

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2018, 10:11:35 PM »
I would say the time period would be between 1885 and 1887 CMcG. Sarah was born in Tyrone in 1885 and Daniel was born in Belfast in 1887 and when Mary was born in 1889 they were living in Ligoniel and my Mom said “they moved to Belfast and settled in Ligoniel and James settled in the Dock area.

My story.....My great aunt Ann Jane (Annie) Mc Namee married Thomas Halfpenny in Holy Cross Church in 1906 and they had 2 sons Thomas Hubert in 1908 and Edward in 1913 and the family emigrated to New York in 1916. I have a copy of the passenger list for Annie and the children. Thomas went in 1914,I have the passenger list for him also. Annie died in 1919, her husband wrote to her mother saying she had died “from a woman’s complaint” ....this is in my Mom’s note. Thomas remarried a woman from Scotland named Margaret Gilhooley and they had a few more children....I only found this out a couple of nights ago.
I was inputting the data and up pops a “hint” telling me some other people are researching this family also. I was able to check the trees of 2 of them, one is private and to my shock Annie has been wiped out of the history of the family. They have it that Thomas and Margaret had 2 sons in Belfast Thomas H and Edward. . Thomas H was 10 when his mother died and Edward was 5. Somehow the history of Annie being ther mother has not been passed down the generations. I sent the owner of the tree a message but to my disappointment I have not had a reply. Now, I don’t know where he is on the tree but if Thomas H or Edward are his ancestors then he has McNamee blood in his veins not Gilhooley.
If he is interested I have lots of info for him on the McNamees. 
So, that’s my interesting little story. I have had other hints on some relatives but most people haven’t been on ancestry for “over a year”. One person appears to be the daughter of my Mom’s first cousin. He lived in Ontario and only died in 1990. .my parents were living in Calgary by then...wouldn’t she have loved to have been able to have a chat with him. She knew he was somewhere in Canada but we had no way of finding him. I am really enjoying this very interesting hobby, just wish I was better at it. I am stubborn though, I will get better....
Eileen

Agneisq

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2019, 10:22:01 AM »
This thread is very interesting, as I have Bernard McNamee from Newtownstewart in my tree, married to Margaret Lynch.  We've not found a death record for him yet, but would I be right in thinking that he's NOT the Bernard whose death was at Sion Mills?

Eileen - some of my McNamees went to Canada in 1904.  I also have a record for my Bernard's son Edward dying in Glasgow in 1906, if that's any help in locking down dates.  I suspect they're all related somewhere down the line!

Tipperdarby

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2019, 03:40:38 PM »
Hello Agneis,
You and I have been in touch on Ancestry. .CMcG has been so helpful to me in researching my McNamees and I have come a very long way in the past year. He is a wonderful researcher and is so helpful to many many people.

Just this past weekend I have been able to satisfy myself that the death of Margaret that CMcG mentions on Feb 18 2018 is indeed our Margaret Lynch/McNamee. I was puzzled by the statement that her daughter Ellen was in attendance at her death as she didn’t have a daughter Ellen but I found out [size=78%] that her son James first wife was Ellen Campbell and they were married in LondonDerry in July 1888[/size]
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1888/10775/5929588.pdf

I believe that the daughter Jane in attendance at her death was in fact her daughter in law.

The Bernard McNamee in Newtownstewart married to Jane Harkin is not ours. Our Bernard lived in Sion Mills and the death that CMcG posted about is him alright. I have had that on my tree for quite a long time.

The James I mentioned earlier is a younger brother to your Edward. As I said I just found his first Marriage this past weekend. They had a baby named Bernard in Feb 1902 who died in Aug 1902 but I can’t find a death for Ellen. James remarried in June 1903 and is described as a widower.

Recently I have found who I believe is Bernard’s father  .named Edward. I have no documentation but a recent strong DNA match has led me there and other matches....people who I couldn’t figure out where the connection was...now make sense. Check out my tree on Ancestry.

Eileen