Author Topic: Northern Ireland has the highest rate of suicide in the UK  (Read 4223 times)

tours

Re: Northern Ireland has the highest rate of suicide in the UK
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2018, 12:31:06 AM »
"October 16 2018"
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/union-to-erect-signs-on-belfasts-cave-hill-in-move-to-tackle-suicide-37424420.html

"Union to erect signs on Belfast's Cave Hill in move to tackle suicide"

"A west Belfast group plans to erect 12 permanent signs today aimed at discouraging people from taking their own lives in Cave Hill Country Park - despite the fact that it has not sought permission from Belfast City Council."

"Unite the Union's Shankill community branch says the organisation decided to act without informing the local authority as the number of suicides across the city has reached "epidemic" levels and it feared "red tape" would delay or prevent the signs' installation."     etcetera,...
Good for them. Bureaucracy here is a nightmare. Everyone wanting to justify their big wages, with ages taken to get anything done. Primark a prime example.

Maybe if pickets could be arranged around paramilitary homes in districts, so much more could be achieved. Pipe dream ?

derdrei

« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2018, 09:54:06 AM »
having depression has a lot to do with it very sad :( .

James James

« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2018, 10:19:33 AM »
"17 October 2018"
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6285739/British-model-21-took-life-mother-died-cancer.html

" 'Vivacious but fragile' British model, 21, posted cryptic 'never trust a best friend' Facebook message hours before 'taking her own life' 10 months after her mother died of bowel cancer"

"Mairead O'Neill has died in south Belfast after 'struggling terribly' with her grief "

jillyfred

« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2018, 02:59:36 PM »
having depression has a lot to do with it very sad :( .

==
Yes I agree Derdrei.
We all get `down`times-even get depressed for a stretch-but somehow we just have to
cover it up and get on with things-no choice.
I think perhaps the problem with others is they simply `turn inwards`-they are completely
focus on themselves and their own perspective of what life has dealt them.
That`s the only feasible reason for taking their own lives.
If they have not got a family or friends-that does not affect any other person.If they do on
the other hand-what a  burden to leave your Mother or other ones who loved you-a life
sentence for them.
I have said before-\I have two minds about suicide-\I do not accept they are `not in their right mind`.
I know of quite a few who were and it was a personal decision.
I would never have the `bottle`to do it no matter what way things went for me,so I grant them
the courage to do it.
On the other hand,\I think its the most self indulgent thing anyone could ever contemplate with
no care or respect for those who will have to live with that.
The Samaritans are a good organisation-worked well before drugs came on the scene-today its
a very different platform.
In conclusion,really the facts are-if someone wants out of this life nothing or no one will change
their mindset.
However,\I give thanks for those who try to do so.

jilly :(

James James

« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2018, 06:35:53 AM »
This isn't specifically Belfast related, but it's as relevant to Belfast as it is to everywhere else.

"24 October 2018"    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-45950902

"The day my friend stopped me walking into the sea"

"Mark Newsome is in the sea when his best mate Will rings."

"He answers."

"Mate",  Will shouts into the phone. "What are you doing?"

"The cold water is at Mark's knees. He's taken his trainers, socks and jeans off. He wasn't planning on coming back out."

"Blackpool ?" says Will."

"What a s_ _ _ place to die."

"Mark wades slowly back to the beach and sees a police officer walking towards him."

"Will's words saved Mark's life on that sunny Sunday last July."

"Now Mark, 28, is using them as the title of his one-man show about the time he hit rock bottom - and came back from the brink."

"He's already performed three sold-out shows in Manchester and will be in Camden, north London, next week."

"Even if the show, which he describes as a dark comedy, helps just one person to open up about mental health and suicide he'll be happy."

"I don't want people to think the title is what I think of Blackpool - it's just tongue in cheek."

"It's not a play about Blackpool, it's a play about mental health."   etcetera,...

Video trailer,...

https://www.youtube.com/em   bed/hVQtkC3YFkg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/4WLs5NlwrySXJR2n8Snszdg/emotional-distress-information-and-support

stickleback

« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2019, 03:25:55 PM »

Good posts, James James

I have personally known several people who commited suicide. You don't always see it coming. People store up stuff and don't want to talk about it. I will talk about two of those I knew and it hurts me to do so. I have discussed neither before.

Liam

Liam was a guy I met in a short lived restaurant enterprise in Belfast. He was from the north coast. He was a dishwasher, like me. He was about 20, I was 17. People didn't warm to him for reasons unknown to me. I think it was the fact he was big, over six feet tall and spoke with a gruff north Antrim accent. He always wore the same great big overcoat and a cap; he looked a bit like Casey Jones. In many respects, he was older than his years. He was lonely as hell in Belfast as he grew up in a country village. I used to bring him back to mine and we'd sit and chat and laugh over a few drinks into the wee small hours, then he would crash out on the sofa and his snoring would keep me awake all night. What I found about Liam is that he was a very honest and decent guy beneath the gruff demeanour. He had a bit of a crazy side where he would literally steal a bus and drive home and park it outside his front door and go to sleep as if nothing had happened. I think he wanted to be wanted. He wrote to me a week before he ended his life. He gave no indication that he was suicidal. He said he was 'okay'.

Alison

I met Alison at work. She was a client. She was 27 yrs old and a former model. A stunning looking girl, albeit anorexic. I used to take clients to a free-to-enter comedy club and she always came along. Alison was a graduate and from a wealthy background. There were associative issues. Alison moved on but wrote to me shortly before her suicide and pleaded with me to contact her. I spoke to my halfwit manager at the time who said: that would not be appropriate. ( despite Alison saying she was lesbian, which I stated) To my eternal shame I didn't contact her.

One week later I learned she ended her life.

tours

« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2019, 12:03:06 AM »

Good posts, James James

I have personally known several people who commited suicide. You don't always see it coming. People store up stuff and don't want to talk about it. I will talk about two of those I knew and it hurts me to do so. I have discussed neither before.

Liam

Liam was a guy I met in a short lived restaurant enterprise in Belfast. He was from the north coast. He was a dishwasher, like me. He was about 20, I was 17. People didn't warm to him for reasons unknown to me. I think it was the fact he was big, over six feet tall and spoke with a gruff north Antrim accent. He always wore the same great big overcoat and a cap; he looked a bit like Casey Jones. In many respects, he was older than his years. He was lonely as hell in Belfast as he grew up in a country village. I used to bring him back to mine and we'd sit and chat and laugh over a few drinks into the wee small hours, then he would crash out on the sofa and his snoring would keep me awake all night. What I found about Liam is that he was a very honest and decent guy beneath the gruff demeanour. He had a bit of a crazy side where he would literally steal a bus and drive home and park it outside his front door and go to sleep as if nothing had happened. I think he wanted to be wanted. He wrote to me a week before he ended his life. He gave no indication that he was suicidal. He said he was 'okay'.

Alison

I met Alison at work. She was a client. She was 27 yrs old and a former model. A stunning looking girl, albeit anorexic. I used to take clients to a free-to-enter comedy club and she always came along. Alison was a graduate and from a wealthy background. There were associative issues. Alison moved on but wrote to me shortly before her suicide and pleaded with me to contact her. I spoke to my halfwit manager at the time who said: that would not be appropriate. ( despite Alison saying she was lesbian, which I stated) To my eternal shame I didn't contact her.

One week later I learned she ended her life.
God Bless Liam and Alison. RIP.

Danny.
Danny came from a big family, the 3rd youngest of 11. He went to grammar school and University. Much more intelligent than me and could pull the woman at the drop of a hat.
He always reminded me of Jim Morrison of the doors. We listened to the Doors amongst others, before hitting the local bars.
He had a free and easy spirit... and an infectious laugh.
Danny hooked up with a girl in Glasgow for a few years, split up with her, came home and put a vacuum hose onto a car exhaust, the other end in the car window....Outside the family home.
I still haven't worked out Danny's thought process. Rip. Don't suspect I ever could.

Julie.
On a more cheerful note.
My daughters 17yr old friend Julie, is slowly on the mend after taking an overdose in November. Taking an overdose over a boyfriend, at 17yrs old.
Julie received 7 A's 3 B's in her recent GCSE's. She's a smart kid.
She is on the mend, and gradually getting back to school. 2 days a week atm.
I met Julie over Christmas and was thinking how lucky someone found her quickly and phoned an ambulance. Every day a bonus for her now.
What thought process to drive her to take 30 tablets at one go ??  Did she understand fully the consequences ?
I don't think she even knows herself.

James James

« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2019, 03:59:10 AM »
Thankyou. That pretty much says it all. The seemingly obvious afterwards, isn't always so obvious beforehand.

James James

James James

« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2019, 05:47:01 PM »

"1 FEB 2018"
https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/health/dont-suffer-your-mental-health-14232947

"Throughout this month we have a message which we want to reinforce: tell someone you're struggling"

"If you feel that you require support contact Lifeline on 0808 808 8000 or the Samaritans 116 123."