Author Topic: HELP _- BOTANIC AVENUE BARS IN 1970'S  (Read 1559 times)

symo

HELP _- BOTANIC AVENUE BARS IN 1970'S
« on: February 27, 2018, 05:19:28 PM »

In the 70's I lived in a Flat in Fitzroy Ave and frequented a number of bars in Botanic Avenue. The York was one but I can't remember the name of a bar and nightclub at the corner of lower crescent and Botanic Ave just where the railway bridge is Can anyone help? its now Town square.

many thanks

john

Sanbrad

Re: HELP _- BOTANIC AVENUE BARS IN 1970'S
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 06:30:56 PM »
Was that the Regency Hotel?

McCusker

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 06:32:15 PM »
Was that the Regency Hotel?
yeah and Jim Paige was doorman
"You don't stop laughing when you get old, you get old when you stop laughing!"

symo

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 06:51:43 PM »
Thanks all. That's solved a great quandry  :) :D

doare.

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 08:27:21 AM »
i used to have a few when i worked on the city hospital building, the club bar wasnt too far away i would nip in at lunch time early 70s...worked with the steel fixers there...
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not? ....shaw..

river rats

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2018, 07:48:20 PM »
It was indeed Called the Regency and the night club was called the pink flamingo.
In the 70 you would often see David Dunceath in the bar on a Saturday,up the street was the York hotel now called House. The club bar was around the corner. If you just wanted a coffee you went to the university cafe across the road. If you wanted a concert you could go to mcmordie hall now Mandela hall and of course the ever popular Bot and Egg.
Hungry on the way back to town ? No problem spuds  laverys for a final pint  ringos  for a pastie  past the Europa and the whip and saddle to dear across the road to the Crown catch the last bus before the ring of steel gates were closed For the night
We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars

bjay

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 05:04:03 PM »
The Empire opened in Botanic Avenue some time later.      Personally I think turning churches into bars is a most excellent idea and one that should be encouraged.         :P :P :P

ouldoll

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 03:07:00 PM »

The Empire opened in Botanic Avenue some time later.      Personally I think turning churches into bars is a most excellent idea and one that should be encouraged.         :P :P :P

The church is the people, not the building. Once it stops being used as a church it's just a building so it can be used as anything, subject to planning permission. :)

geraldine williamson

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 10:31:02 AM »
It was indeed Called the Regency and the night club was called the pink flamingo.
In the 70 you would often see David Dunceath in the bar on a Saturday,up the street was the York hotel now called House. The club bar was around the corner. If you just wanted a coffee you went to the university cafe across the road. If you wanted a concert you could go to mcmordie hall now Mandela hall and of course the ever popular Bot and Egg.
Hungry on the way back to town ? No problem spuds  laverys for a final pint  ringos  for a pastie  past the Europa and the whip and saddle to dear across the road to the Crown catch the last bus before the ring of steel gates were closed For the night
My word...you sure know your history!!! G.

river rats

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 05:49:41 PM »
My word...you sure know your history!!! G.
LOL that as not History that was my life :)
We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars

LAM123

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2018, 03:24:35 PM »
Hi, just looking to find out some more information about jim page, the door man. If anyone has any info.... :)

GandT

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2018, 06:36:26 PM »
LOL that as not History that was my life :)

And a good deal of mine as well - must have been a good life - can't remember seeing the light of day :) :)

unrecog

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2020, 01:23:51 PM »

I used to run the bar in the Pink Flamingo. One lovely, summer day I turned up for work, did the lunchtime trade in the bar, cleared up, did the early evening trade, cleared up, had dinner in the kitchen, prepped the bar in the club, opened it, did the late licence, cleared up and locked up and walked out at 3:30am to a fresh, sunny, summer morning.

I completely missed the night  :)

JackM

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2020, 01:07:23 PM »

I remember an acquaintance of mine Ernest Strathdee who was a former Irish Rugby player, a journalist and a Broadcaster on UTV. Ernie was a long term resident of the Regency Hotel and sadly a little too fond of a drink. Unfortunately, he fell asleep whilst smoking, the room caught fire and Ernie died. That would have been around 1971, I think.   :(
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.
Justice for the RUC and British Army. Support Soldier F