Author Topic: TELEGRAM BOYS  (Read 13181 times)

Lillikins

TELEGRAM BOYS
« on: January 21, 2008, 11:21:55 AM »
It's been quite a few years since I last saw a Telegram Boy around Belfast.
I can still remember them driving around on their lightweight motorcycles - very tidy uniforms complete with pillowbox hat. Think the uniforms were a dark blue with a little red trim on them.
They would carry small pouches in which they kept the Telegrams they were delivering.
When you saw them drive up to someones door, you could be sure that it was VERY IMPORTANT news being delivered and the quickest way for that delivery was by sending a Telegram. All the boys were mostly fresh out of school and had to go thru a test before being employed as a T.Boy. It must have been an exciting job for the young men, and it made them feel important too when they motorcycled  around the town wearing their uniforms.
But unfortunately like many other ways of life, the Telegram Boy has been replaced by Technology - emails etc.

Gerd

Re: TELEGRAM BOYS
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 12:05:37 PM »
Sounds like you had a thing for telegram boys all those years ago.

Funnily enough, I do have a blue uniform with a little red on it.   I also have a little pouch I got from a dead kangeroo. 

Now if I could find that bloody motorcycle, I could whizz round and deliver to your door.     Dont know about fresh faced but a little rouge might help !!!!!

"Telegram, for Mrs Lillikins".     Hope there is a good tip in it ?????

If you cant say anything nice then dont say anything !

Lillikins

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 12:17:08 PM »
A good tip you say  ::)  Well that would depend on whether you were delivering good news or bad Mr Gerd ;) But I do like a man in uniform  ;) ;D

Gerd

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 12:45:47 PM »
Yes, the Band of the Coldstream Guards did mention that !!!!!!!

Lillikins

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 02:21:14 PM »
Git away er that with ye, ya cheeky wee get!  >:( ;D

BigAgiesMan

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 08:56:31 PM »
George Jones used to be a telegram boy O0. Did he ever give you one Lilli? 8)

giannineo

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 09:01:32 PM »
I wanted to be a telegram boy. My parents wouldn't let me have a motor bike and I thought this would be a way around it as they got nice red B.S.A. Bantam motor bikes.My uncle was consulted as he was a Post Office Inspector.....the moment motor bike was mentioned the deal was off as my parents reckoned I would kill myself if let loose on a motor bike. .it is 10 years now since I have crashed a motor bike. ::)

EllCee

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 09:19:26 PM »
"I also have a little pouch I got from a dead kangeroo. "

Better to be safe than sorry.  Does it fit?

;)

"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

EllCee

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 09:22:10 PM »
"they got nice red B.S.A. Bantam motor bikes"

My first motorbike was a BSA Bantam.

"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

twocoats

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 10:59:16 PM »
I wanted to be a telegram boy. My parents wouldn't let me have a motor bike and I thought this would be a way around it as they got nice red B.S.A. Bantam motor bikes.My uncle was consulted as he was a Post Office Inspector.....the moment motor bike was mentioned the deal was off as my parents reckoned I would kill myself if let loose on a motor bike. .it is 10 years now since I have crashed a motor bike. ::)

Now why does that story not surprise me? :idiot2:
Homophobia, racism, sexism, bigotry and sectarianism is still alive..

giannineo

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 11:05:22 PM »
evening Tc, a hotel jumped out in front of me in Greece  and "Beng"....brand new  motor bike , but I talked my way out of it. .went to a shop for first aid stuff as I was shredded from top to tail....Greek eejit poured neat alcohol all over me and the sweets in his shop....aaaaagh....eejits , they use alcohol for eery wound in Greece...same thing when I banged my head in a bar. .guy pours neat alcohol over my bleeding bonce.....aaaaaagh.

Gerd

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2008, 11:08:20 PM »
Just as well you weren't getting circumcised then !!!!   

giannineo

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2008, 11:41:43 PM »
I never give tips Gerd ;)

Gerd

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2008, 07:56:37 AM »
Just as well as that would tip me over the edge !!!!

charles w

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2008, 09:59:57 PM »
Telegram boys on a Friday evening would have been seen delivering telegrams (wages)  I learnt to ride a motorcycle as my two brothers  were telegram boys.  RLB445, still remember the bike reg, a B.S.A. Bamtam 125.  Some of the boy's thought that they were Jeff Duke's and forgot about the speed limit's.