Author Topic: TELEGRAM BOYS  (Read 13038 times)

Wilco

Re: TELEGRAM BOYS
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2008, 10:46:17 PM »
I done my test on a BSA Bantam..a mate lent me a brand new one...my Tiger cub seized the night before the test.
Test centre was in Duncairn gardens almost opposite Gerry Gribbens shop. :-[

Herman

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2008, 10:00:23 PM »
My father and father in law were both telegram boys.Both are now retired but they still talk about the B.S.As.My father in law loves to tell the story how he used to carry an iron bar,wrapped in newspaper, in his pouch to defend himself from dog attacks in the Antrim Road area.With the fall in use of telegrams,telegram boys became Postal Cadets.They were really apprentice postmen,I myself became one on June 30th 1986. This meant that I was 3rd generation postal worker,my grandfather worked in the telecoms section putting up poles.This was before BT.My brother in law started on the same date as myself.Through him I met my future wife :smitten:.He was a 2nd generation postie.We rode crappy mopeds that broke down at the slightest drop of rain >:( We delivered late giros,notice of overtime to postmens houses and even 100th birthday telegrams. We also worked in various roles in Tomb St and worked various BT buildings delivering the internal mail.I'm not sure what the cadets are called now but they do NVQs etc.

Helens Bay

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2008, 10:09:33 AM »
I was in charge of the telegram boys late 60`s to early 70`s.
they were a breed apart especially during the troubles when there was no postal dely the telegram boys always got through.
I also managed Post Office Youth Club Team and we played in the Dunmurry League
Love to hear from any of the Boys

Jackied

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2008, 08:06:58 PM »
I was one of those Telegram Boys in the late 60's.Helens Bay is quite right about the boys always geting through!!,but they were also very happy times as well.

Helens Bay

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2008, 08:18:56 AM »
wOULD BE INTERESTED TO KNOW IF I CAN REMEMBER YOU.
PLEASE SEND A PM

jdr

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2008, 02:50:03 PM »
started in 74 on moped's, and still there.worst luck.

teragram

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2008, 09:49:04 AM »
started in 74 on moped's, and still there.worst luck.
Do you mean you're still working in Tomb St?  If so, can you say who you are?
If you don't do it you won't get caught.

Gerri

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2008, 03:57:01 PM »
My brother Tommy McCreesh (R.I.P.) was a telegram boy around 1978 to 1981

jdr

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2008, 12:18:17 AM »
Not in tomb st anymore had to move to mallusk in 2000.

teragram

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2008, 12:23:42 AM »
I knew a Jim McCreesh in Tomb St

teragram

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2008, 12:33:41 AM »
Sorry mate, I got that wrong. The bloke I knew was Jim McNiece from North Belfast

jdr

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2008, 07:47:06 AM »
I think Jimmy mc neice is still working in tomb street.

jake

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2008, 06:03:50 PM »
I became a telegram boy 22-8-1960 and Gerry Hanna the PHG changed my name from John B to Jackie B,Billy Loughheed was in charge of POYC he hated referees,Remember Sam Young,sammy Rainey,Wesley Black,Buckets McGahey,Ray Clarke,Manny Sterling,Minnie McDonagh,Budgie O,Boyle,Plum McCartney,Mo,Maurice Denny,Tich McFall,George Jones,Desi Lewsley,Oliver Philips.and lots more.Bomber Brown the Mechanic in West Street.

jake

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2008, 06:07:33 PM »
Lillykins,I used to fancy a girl from Smithfield who used to come round to Charlemont Street with her mate maguire,we went to a few parties with them JAKE

jake

« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2008, 04:37:46 PM »
When I started as a telegram boy 1960 we were taken to meet the head postmaster of Belfast and you had to plead allegiance to the Queen  and you received your shilling.Then you had to go up and meet Archie McManus[chief inspector]Alec Bell was his deputy,Then you had Stewarty Coulter,Arthur McConnell,Paul Kennedy,Roy Houston,Rod O,Hagan,Bob Haggan,Paddy Clarke,Tommy Richardson,Oscar Henderson,Bobby Stewart,Billy Lockheed,George Kelly.George Silo,Freddy McAllister.Barney Boyle,Roy Dornan,Jackie Gibson,Tommy Blair,Jake Laird,Davy McShane,Tommy Rafferty[night-duty]Do you remember Cecil Coulter with his cigarettes and tobacco which you could get on-tick until next pay day.We went up to Billy Cathcart to get our dinner vouchers for the canteen.Run by Barney Boyle,Martha was the cook,and Margaret Hughes [Paddy,s daughter] from St.James, Road,Isobel and Margaret Tierney also worked in the canteen.Does anybody remember Yo-Yo Mullan and Billy Graham[doormen at Berry Street exit]When I went on to nights there was Cecil Coulter,Paddy Coyle.Gusty Spence,Norman Russell,Jackie Fitzimmons,Andy Truesdale,Albert Leslie,Bubbler Boyd,Joe Woods,Eddie Hutchison John Cunningham,All to the Bakers,Club above the Aero Arms on Bridge End.Charlie Walsh and Artie McIlwaine used to get a sing-song going with their version of Flanagan and Allen.and you could walk round the city centre in peace during your break,when the London flight mail arrived,brought in by Bill Sykes,Eddie Shaw those were the days and hand sorting Jake.