Author Topic: Belfast coin  (Read 619 times)

Eddie Sterling

Belfast coin
« on: March 10, 2018, 09:33:15 PM »
My mother (Etta Booth) came from the Shankill's Battenberg Street. Once, when I was visiting my grandparents, I was given a couple of 'makes' (not sure of the spelling) to visit a wee fair close by - I think they just wanted me out of the way! I have always wondered where that word came from.

Just the other night I was in a Carrickfergus pub when I met another man with Shankill roots. He, too, remembered 'makes'.

I think it was just pennies. Can anyone out there enlighten me?

doare.

Re: Belfast coin
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 01:16:46 AM »
a make was a "happeny" or one halfpence...a sprazzy wa
s a tanner or sixpence...
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?” ....shaw..

Eddie Sterling

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 11:49:19 PM »
We're talking the 1950s here, and I somehow thought it wouldn't be a penny. In the back of my mind it was a halfpenny. There wasn't enough money in the family to send me traipsing off to a fair with a pocketful of pennies. I wonder where the word 'make' came from. I've Googled it ... and nothing comes up.

CMcG

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 12:19:51 AM »

... I wonder where the word 'make' came from. I've Googled it ... and nothing comes up.

No doubt found its way from Scotland via Ulster Scots, as so much of our language has:

http://www.dsl.ac.uk/entry/snd/maik

Eddie Sterling

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 08:39:13 PM »
Thank-you so much. I had Googled 'maic Ulster-Scots', but no joy. You obviously know your stuff. I'm going to print that out and show it to my mate in the pub tonight. He'll be pleased, too.

CMcG

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 12:23:21 AM »
You're welcome, we are now one up on ‘The Hamely Tongue’, which is 'widely acclaimed as the authoritative record of contemporary (surviving) Ulster-Scots in its heartland of County Antrim', for it describes its origin as obscure  :)  :

http://www.ulsterscotsacademy.com/words/hamely-tongue/m/maik.php

JackM

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 01:17:32 PM »
Growing up I remember the expression for someone who was poor or broke. `He hasn't a make`.  :)
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.

Bread Basket

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 11:41:36 PM »
Belfast and it’s people are historic with some of their words and sayings. My Granda used some of these strange names and terms.
I have’nt a make
I have’nt a sou

Makes and Sou’s were references to “small denominations of coins”  namely Sterling & French Francs.
You do not need to be Pythagorus to work out that these were words from WW1 era.  the men were saying...I’m skint