Author Topic: Belfast Floral Hall  (Read 2007 times)

White dee

I'd like to help you out,which way did you come in.

Creaky

Re: Belfast Floral Hall
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 08:52:40 PM »
It's a disgrace that such an iconic building has been allowed to fall into the state which it is now in. Hopefully, it will be saved and its external façade not altered too much. It really is in the ideal spot for the proposed uses.
Love will always  change to sorrow, but everyone must play the game. We're here today and gone tomorrow, but the world goes on the same.

jillyfred

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 09:13:44 AM »

It's a disgrace that such an iconic building has been allowed to fall into the state which it is now in. Hopefully, it will be saved and its external façade not altered too much. It really is in the ideal spot for the proposed uses.
====
Totally agree Creaky.
Wonderful memories of the dances there.
 :)

Bread Basket

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 07:44:01 PM »
Tuesday & Thursday evenings in the Floral Hall in the mid 60’s were brilliant.....Roller Skating🏣😜😜👍🏼👍🏼

stickleback

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 02:19:01 AM »

I agree, The Floral Hall was a beautiful art deco building in a beautiful setting and should never have been left to fall into such a state of disrepair. Belfast City Council should have undertaken the revamp. Instead, Signature Living, a Liverpool-based property development company are biting at the cherry now. Signature Living recently created The George Best Hotel in Belfast. It's a new, one might say strange enterprise, where every room is owned by private investors who might otherwise have bought a flat. The longer you hang on to your room the better the returns, so that if you can afford the mortgage after 20 yrs you will finally see a profit. Meanwhile, you have just paid for him to sit on a property for twenty years and he can raise the service charges as he likes until you leave. Then he sells up and moves on. Lawrence Kenwright is is name. A rags to riches fellow, if you believe the hype.

I somehow doubt he has the well-being of Belfast at heart.

Bigali

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 10:26:41 PM »
I assume because of its unique Art Deco architecture it's a listed building ?
Tout Prest

White dee

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 10:41:48 PM »

I agree, The Floral Hall was a beautiful art deco building in a beautiful setting and should never have been left to fall into such a state of disrepair. Belfast City Council should have undertaken the revamp. Instead, Signature Living, a Liverpool-based property development company are biting at the cherry now. Signature Living recently created The George Best Hotel in Belfast. It's a new, one might say strange enterprise, where every room is owned by private investors who might otherwise have bought a flat. The longer you hang on to your room the better the returns, so that if you can afford the mortgage after 20 yrs you will finally see a profit. Meanwhile, you have just paid for him to sit on a property for twenty years and he can raise the service charges as he likes until you leave. Then he sells up and moves on. Lawrence Kenwright is is name. A rags to riches fellow, if you believe the hype.

I somehow doubt he has the well-being of Belfast at heart.

Sticky, is he the same person who bought the Crumlin Road Court House,for some rediculous sum ?

Some info on Lawrence Kenwright,

http://lawrencekenwright.co.uk/saving-a-belfast-gem-from-dereliction-floral-hall/[/size]

CMcG

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2018, 07:23:31 AM »
Amazing building and setting, shame what they've let happen to it over the years...

1936:

1952:

jillyfred

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2018, 07:47:03 AM »

Amazing building and setting, shame what they've let happen to it over the years...

1936:

1952:

=====
Great photographs CMcG.
Thank you for posting.

CMcG

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2018, 07:50:55 AM »

=====
Great photographs CMcG.
Thank you for posting.

It's like a spaceship has landed, jilly.  :)

James James

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2018, 08:30:16 AM »
https://tinyurl.com/Ballroom-of-romance

"Published on youtube Feb 28th, 2015"   Campaign to restore Belfast's ballroom of romance

"Strictly Come Dancing has given momentum for a campaign to breathe new life into a derelict ballroom in Belfast."

"Floral Hall is now boarded up and unsafe to enter, but in the 1940s and 1950s, it was known as the city's ballroom of romance."

"More than £5m is needed to return the building to its former glory.
Chris Buckler BBC reports."

Surely Arlene and her posse could spare that amount. ?!

Creaky

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2018, 08:44:44 AM »

Sticky, is he the same person who bought the Crumlin Road Court House,for some rediculous sum ?

http://lawrencekenwright.co.uk/saving-a-belfast-gem-from-dereliction-floral-hall/[/size]

The Crumlin Road Courthouse was originally sold to Barry Gilligan for £1. He sold it on for £500,000 to (I believe), this same person who wants to develop The Floral Hall.
Love will always  change to sorrow, but everyone must play the game. We're here today and gone tomorrow, but the world goes on the same.

White dee

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2018, 08:47:21 AM »
The Crumlin Road Courthouse was originally sold to Barry Gilligan for £1. He sold it on for £500,000 to (I believe), this same person who wants to develop The Floral Hall.

Thank you Creaky,I thought that's what I read somewhere,

tours

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2018, 11:59:09 AM »
Keep Joe (no neck) Mc Gaw, Paul Shaw, Winky Irvine, Bunter Graham, Harry Stockman, Mo Courtneys sticky hands off the Hall....😊 Protest in your areas peolpe.

Bigali

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2018, 10:51:08 PM »
Keep Joe (no neck) Mc Gaw, Paul Shaw, Winky Irvine, Bunter Graham, Harry Stockman, Mo Courtneys sticky hands off the Hall....😊 Protest in your areas peolpe.

???
Tout Prest