Author Topic: Craigavad St belfast  (Read 729 times)

kenq

Craigavad St belfast
« on: March 14, 2018, 12:33:18 PM »
I have been working on my family tree and discovered that my maternal grandmother was born at 21 Craigavad Street Belfast in 1883. She was married in Newington Presbyterian Church in 1907. I have been unable to locate this street in any of the maps I possess or on Google Earth. I would appreciate if anyone could help me find the location of the street. I suspect it is or was in the BT15 postcode district.

ms

Re: Craigavad St belfast
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 01:33:51 PM »
21 Craigavad Street
off rowan st    which is york st /north queen st area craigavad st still there 1960s
ms

1906 no 21
with thanks to mary lennon
Craigavad Street
off Rowan Street[/size]
   1. Miskimmon, Saml., labourer
   3. Blakely, R. A.
   5. Johnston, Saml., labourer
   7. McKenna, C., labourer
   9. Summerville, T., machinist
 11. Spence, Wm., labourer
 13. Frew, Thos., carter
 15. Martin, Wm., labourer
 17. Noble, N., labourer
 19. Kidd, James, carter[/size]

21. McIlwaine, Jas., labourer[/size]

23. McClements, R., labourer
 25. McGihon, Alex., blacksmith
 27. Letters, Patk., bricklayer
 29. Morrison, A., holderup[/size]

CMcG

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 01:02:49 AM »
I have placed a red cross at the top of it, in this 1938 map extract, North Queen Street and York Road are the main streets heading north-south(ish) at either end of Rowan Street, the line of other streets like Mervue Street and the Limestone Road (emerging from near top left) survive for your bearings today:

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

kenq

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 02:59:41 PM »

Many thanks ms and CMcG for the very useful information. As you can see from the Google map the area between Hanna St and the Limestone Rd must have been cleared for commercial properties at some stage as Cragavad St disappeared.
My grandmother's maiden name was Dalglish and she must have lived in Craigavad St in the 1880's and perhaps into the 90's. There is also mention of  257 North Queen St and 22 Lilliput St _____ family addresses in that period.
Again many thanks for your invaluable help.

Ardene Smyth

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2021, 01:16:38 PM »
My great Grandmother was born in 21 Craigavad Street, Belfast. Her name was Jessie Dalglish and daughter of Alexander and Mary Ann Dalglish nee Barr. Can I ask who your grandmother was ??
I have done a lot of research into my Dalglish family and am alway interested in finding out more about the family