Author Topic: St jOHN'S CHURCH, LAGANBANK  (Read 549 times)

Shelleyc1

St jOHN'S CHURCH, LAGANBANK
« on: March 14, 2018, 01:09:05 PM »
HI FOLKS, MY GRANDPARENTS WERE MARRIED IN THIS CHURCH IN APRIL 1942 - WILLIAM TORRANS AND EDITH COOTE. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW MORE ABOUT THE CHURCH'S LOCATION ETC. IF ANYONE CAN GIVE ME ANY INFORMATION, I WOULD BE VERY GRATEFUL.

CMcG

Re: St jOHN'S CHURCH, LAGANBANK
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 12:19:55 AM »
The following article is from the Belfast Newsletter of 8 August 1942:

CMcG

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 12:24:48 AM »
This from the Belfast Newsletter of 24 November 1942:

CMcG

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 12:43:31 AM »
Here it was (circled) in the following map extract from 1938, the building on the left was the Main Church, the other was the Sunday School:

CMcG

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 12:51:13 AM »

This from the Belfast Newsletter of 24 November 1942:

Interesting to think that your grandparents were standing here about 7 months before this picture...

CMcG

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 01:45:48 AM »
Although the area is virtually unrecognisable today, it is quite easy to pinpoint the location of the church as it was in a direct line west-east with May Street, which was the street emerging just below the Royal Courts of Justice in the 1938 map extract (follow the dot-dash line).  That reads across, give or take a few yards, to this:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.5965027,-5.9154823,3a,75y,267.21h,104.95t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sbRSXTvc-zjq23QeVIF3DGw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Shelleyc1

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 09:57:01 AM »
Thankyou so much for this information. Don't suppose you'd know if this one has anything to do with St John's on the Castlereagh Road in East Belfast? So strange to see places as they were in my grandparents day.. how did you manage to access these pics? Are they available online?

CMcG

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 07:16:59 PM »

Thankyou so much for this information. Don't suppose you'd know if this one has anything to do with St John's on the Castlereagh Road in East Belfast? So strange to see places as they were in my grandparents day.. how did you manage to access these pics? Are they available online?

Available online, but only by subscription. In relation to St. John's on the Castlereagh Road, this from the Belfast Newsletter of 31 January 1955:

Shelleyc1

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2018, 07:37:54 PM »
CMcG you have been very helpful. Thanks again..

Bellmik

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2018, 06:00:19 PM »
I am interested in this topic as my Great grandparent's were married at St. John's church Laganbank.  I can't see any details in these post.  You mention articles and pictures but they don't appear for me.  I am new to the Belfast Forum.  Am I missing something here?

jillyfred

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2018, 02:08:08 AM »
I am interested in this topic as my Great grandparent's were married at St. John's church Laganbank.  I can't see any details in these post.  You mention articles and pictures but they don't appear for me.  I am new to the Belfast Forum.  Am I missing something here?

===
Welcome to the Forum Bellmik.
I cannot see them either.
Perhaps its because the papers are dated in the 40`s and 50`s -and the `links`given are out
of date since CMcG posted them.
However,he did say they are available on line by subscription.
Perhaps one of the Members who are knowledgeable about this will come on and advise you.

jilly :)

wb54

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2018, 11:22:54 AM »
Hi Bellmilk,

If you live in Belfast, round the back of the main library is the Newspaper Library.
                Have been there myself and the person on the desk will help you, if youíre not sure.
                Itís free to use just sign in.
                Best to use a memory stick so as to down load any bits from the micro film.
                You pay for any photo copying done.   Looking through the old newspapers you can
                take a photo if you have a camera.   You need to fill a form relating about copyright.

Itís easier when you have the dateís. My fathers side where from St Johnís Church.
                Good luck in your search.

Billy.