Author Topic: West Belfast - August 1969 - can anyone tell me which street this is?  (Read 5658 times)

Paula mc

Re: West Belfast - August 1969 - can anyone tell me which street this is?
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2018, 11:56:23 PM »
Sorry joe I don't I will ask my brother his is older than me we were burn't out in 69

Falls

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2018, 03:14:29 PM »
I'm sure the army vehicle is parked yards away from Charlie Daley's pub. .in Cupar street.

James James

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2018, 04:05:21 PM »
Folks, from looking at old maps and old pictures, here's the way it seemed to work.

First of all the picture in post 1 does look very much like Greeve's Mill, which was 6 stories, the picture only shows 4 stories, but there is a partial structure standing above those, and it looks as if the top 2 stories might have collapsed.

Conway Street runs northwards from it's southern junction with the Falls Road, and the way that it seemed to work was that Greeve's Mill was on the right hand/eastern side of Conway Street near the Falls Road end of Conway Street,... then a short distance to the north of Greeve's Mill and also on the right hand/eastern side of Conway Street was Conway Street Mill which is still there and is now a museum.

The picture in reply 2 is the northern end of Conway Street Mill looking south towards the Falls Road, but the comment about the windows and the lack of rebuilding is misleading, the windows in the picture below, which is taken from the junction of the Falls Road and Conway Street looking north into Conway Street, shows the other/southern end of Conway Street Mill and the windows match the windows in the pictures in reply 7,... which is also looking north along Conway Street,... and that picture is also shown and identified on the link below as being Conway street Belfast 1969 and Greeve's Mill was destroyed in August 1969.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g186470-d1734181-i30539045-Belfast_Attractions-Belfast_Northern_Ireland.html

So the sides of the buildings on the right hand side of that picture are showing the western sides of those buildings.

However, the picture of what appears to be Greeve's Mill in post 1 is looking north towards the hills, so that must be the eastern side of the the building on the left hand side of the picture, so it can't be Conway Street,... and so if that is Greeve's Mill, the street on it's eastern side would be North Howard Street, which fits jack's suggestion in reply 5 of North Howard Street.

He's also correct in reply 12 about Cupar Street making a sharp turn to the left in a northwesterly direction away from Conway Street.

I believe that the works shown above First Street on this map was a foundry.

Does the far end of the street in the picture in post1 also seem to bend sharply to the right ?, which would match the North Howard Street location on the map below.

Looking north into Conway Street from the junction at its southern end with the Falls Road.  https://s7.postimg.org/527ci30u3/Conway_Street.png

James James

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2018, 04:48:04 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/oldbelfastphotographs/photos/a.1729512510611138.1073741827.1729510197278036/2140705139491871/?type=3

"An historic shot from 1870 this time and we are on the Falls Road at its junction with Conway Street.

J & T M Greeves established their flax spinning mill here in 1862 - it was taken over by Herdmans in 1959, and closed soon after.

The Conway Mill of the Falls Flax Spinning Co can be seen further down Conway Street.

It remained open until 1976, being the longest operating flax spinning mill in West Belfast.

Greeves Mill was destroyed by arson during civil unrest in August 1969, (today it is the site of Jobs & Benefits) but the Conway Mill still stands today as an important community facility.

The small street from which this image was taken has long since disappeared under modern redevelopment of the road - you may remember it as Balaclava Street"

https://twitter.com/Inter_Arch/status/953645839112638464
"The corner of Falls Road and Conway Street after riots in Belfast, August 1969.

http://www.reelstreets.com/films/odd-man-out/
The chimney of Greeve's Mill,... from the 1947 film "Odd Man Out".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odd_Man_Out

arkie two

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2018, 09:17:27 PM »
I'm sure the army vehicle is parked yards away from Charlie Daley's pub. .in Cupar street.
    CONWAY ST.

The Murph

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2018, 11:31:25 PM »
Sorry joe I don't I will ask my brother his is older than me we were burn't out in 69
Thanks Paula, Brendans family were also burnt out. they went to glengormly from memory
Blessed are the cracked, they will let in the light.

arkie two

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2018, 12:06:50 PM »
BRILL. JAMES JAMES. THAT MAKES IT DEF. CONWAY ST.

JackM

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2018, 12:50:12 PM »
  Fig 1

Showed this pic (fig 1) to a friend last night who immediately identified it as  ...Greeves Mill, Cupar Street. Where the crane is situated is where Lawther & Harvey (Anglo Continental Containers / Roadferry) had one of their yards as well as the one in North Howard Street. Looking from the Falls Road one can see the `tail end` of Black Mountain. He assures me no view of Black Mountain would have been possible from either Conway Street or North Howard Street.

Fig 2

If you look at this pic (fig 2) one can clearly see the water pipe going into Greeves Mill, Conway Street. There is nowhere else this pipe could come from, except Greeves Mill,  Cupar Street as in Fig 1.      So, Cupar Street it is. ...unless someone knows better ?  :) 
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.

Falls

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2018, 09:42:49 PM »
It is Cupar street.

billh35

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2018, 11:41:10 PM »
Thank you Falls & Jack M.

I am right in saying that the photographer was at the Falls Road end of Cupar Street looking towards to the Black Mountain?

The reason behind this research is that I am working on a project on the use of buses as barricades in August 1969. A Corporation bus blocked the end of Cupar Street at the Falls end and I suspect this is the same vehicle in the photo.

I am curious for any information on buses used as barricades or burned during the period of August 1969. If you have any memories, please get in touch.

Thank you everyone for your help with this.

Gusty

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2018, 11:48:00 AM »
Conway St looking towards Falls Road
The lower floors Greeves Mill at the end was at that time use as a showroom by Isaac Agnew
My great, great grandfather and his brother set up this mill and my grandfather was its chairman until his death in 1956.
Some more pictures including some buses which the original poster was interested in

JackM

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2018, 12:45:40 PM »
BRILL. JAMES JAMES. THAT MAKES IT DEF. CONWAY ST.

On the contrary, JJ has just proved, inadvertently perhaps, that its definitely not Conway Street, or North Howard Street.   ::)
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.

JackM

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2018, 12:50:48 PM »

Again in this view the water pipe can be seen coming from the direction of Cupar Street.  ::)

JackM

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2018, 12:53:03 PM »
Thank you Falls & Jack M.

I am right in saying that the photographer was at the Falls Road end of Cupar Street looking towards to the Black Mountain?

The reason behind this research is that I am working on a project on the use of buses as barricades in August 1969. A Corporation bus blocked the end of Cupar Street at the Falls end and I suspect this is the same vehicle in the photo.

I am curious for any information on buses used as barricades or burned during the period of August 1969. If you have any memories, please get in touch.

Thank you everyone for your help with this.

Correct.  :)

JackM

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2018, 01:02:27 PM »
Conway St looking towards Falls Road
The lower floors Greeves Mill at the end was at that time use as a showroom by Isaac Agnew
My great, great grandfather and his brother set up this mill and my grandfather was its chairman until his death in 1956.
Some more pictures including some buses which the original poster was interested in

Here is a photo of Agnew`s showroom in North Howard Street, which I believe ran the breadth of the Mill to Conway Street.  :)