Author Topic: West Belfast - August 1969 - can anyone tell me which street this is?  (Read 23965 times)

James James

Re: West Belfast - August 1969 - can anyone tell me which street this is?
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2018, 05:17:21 PM »
It's been said above that no view of the Belfast mountains was possible from North Howard Street.

This picture is looking north into North Howard Street from it's junction with the Falls Road.

JackM

« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2018, 01:14:08 PM »
It's been said above that no view of the Belfast mountains was possible from North Howard Street.

This picture is looking north into North Howard Street from it's junction with the Falls Road.

Nice photo. Pity its not Black Mountain.  :D             ::)
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.
Justice for the RUC and British Army. Support Soldier F

Highway66

« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2018, 08:57:48 PM »

billh35

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2018, 10:28:46 AM »
Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this debate and for identifying the street as Cupar Street viewed from the Falls Road end. All the buses that are shown in these images appear to have been recovered intact. I believe there was a bus burnt out at Cupar Street Clinic in August 1969 and the location of another burnt out bus in the area is what I am looking for. (I am aware of the one burned at Percy Street). can anyone tell me any more?

Highway66

« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2018, 08:56:24 PM »
Hi billh, would this be what you were thinking about ?

billh35

« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2018, 12:17:05 PM »
It's that sort of image I am looking for - so if anyone has anything like this from anywhere in N.I. during the troubles, please let me know.

This vehicle is on of six destroyed in August 1969. Where was this picture taken? I had always thought this particular vehicle OZ 6664 was burned at Brookfield Street on the Crumlin Road.

Highway66

« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2018, 03:31:03 PM »
I took this photo in August 1969 ! I wasn't too familiar with that particular area but remember turning off the Falls road and heading up Cupar street and I snapped a few photos of the burnt out houses and vehicles, so that was definitely in the Cupar street area. I'll check and see if I have any other photos from that day that might throw more light on it.

ps I wonder if anyone recognizes any of the children in that photo that could really identify the street ?

billh35

« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2018, 03:35:39 PM »
That would be fantastic - thank you! Your photo is a major step forward to indentifying the locations of vehicles burned. As I said, it was previously thought that this particular vehicle had been lost at Brookfield Street on the Crumlin Road. Cupar Street now seems to have had three buses at least there although one possibly two only were burned.

James James

« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2018, 03:37:53 PM »
It looks like some sort of metal clad industrial building to the left of the bus, perhaps a factory or storage building. ?

JackM

« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2018, 05:51:55 PM »

I believe, rightly or wrongly this to be Cupar Street. Where the van is parked I believe to be Urney Street with Frank Tully`s pub on the corner. The clad building to the left is I believe part of the Lawther & Harvey complex. Looking through the bus one can see Black Mountain, I think ? Everything seems to fit but I am unsure ?  ???
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.
Justice for the RUC and British Army. Support Soldier F

jjmack

« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2018, 07:36:03 PM »

At a guess, Cupar Street, junction of Argyle Street?
Wear your RED POPPY with PRIDE.  Lest we forget. BUY BRITISH.  Support the forces of LAW and ORDER, PAST and PRESENT. Justice for the BRITISH ARMY.

Highway66

« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2018, 09:53:15 PM »
Hi billh,    here's some more photos that I took that day. They may not help you in your quest but I'm sure people from around that area might find them interesting.
If you look at the last photo you can see the Cupar street name plate above John Todd's shop that is no 233 Cupar street

jgt2426

« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2018, 01:19:39 AM »
Hi. The last photo is taken in Cupar Street, as someone has said you can see Todds shop and the barricade is at the bottom of Lawnbrook Avenue with the the large building further up the street being The Workshops for the Blind. I walked up and down that street for more than 11 years to have forgotten it. The steel fence on the left at the barricade is the entrance to the mill. 

James James

« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2018, 06:09:18 AM »
I haven't had time to view this fully, but you might be able to spot something relevant, the Mill certainly seems to be shown.  https://tinyurl.com/y8n5e9fp     https://tinyurl.com/yas9d39r

Highway66

« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2018, 08:50:48 AM »
Is this Bombay street with Kane street to the left ?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy