Author Topic: West Belfast - August 1969 - can anyone tell me which street this is?  (Read 5497 times)

billh35

Re: West Belfast - August 1969 - can anyone tell me which street this is?
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2018, 09:50:44 AM »
Highway 66 - Absolutely amazing pictures!

Your photo with the bus shows Belfast Corporation engineers replacing wrecked wheels on Daimler Fleetline No. 699 (699 FZ) which I am sure is the vehicle in the colour image that started this thread. It proves there was another Fleetline in Cupar Street - not just No. 666 (666 FZ) which blocked the Falls Road end of Cupar Street.

Your photo of halfcab No. 410 (OZ 6664) has solved a 49 year mystery. Do we know where exactly that spot was?

In the image with the bus No. 699 (699 FZ) the two vehicles on the right are Corporation engineering vehicles - just on the the edge of the shot is one of the Tower Wagons originally used to maintain the trolleybus overhead but latterly used for towing. The BMC FG No. L109 (2552 MZ) was carrying replacement wheels and cylinders of oxygen for reinflating flat tyres. These guys were run off their feet recovering buses which had been used as barricades all over Ardoyne and the Falls Roads.

Please share more of your amazing images and thank you so much for what you have shown already. They are truly unique pictures!

I simply cannot thank you enough for sharing these images.

billh35

« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2018, 12:20:43 PM »
Hi billh,    here's some more photos that I took that day. They may not help you in your quest but I'm sure people from around that area might find them interesting.
If you look at the last photo you can see the Cupar street name plate above John Todd's shop that is no 233 Cupar street

On closer inspection this is not the vehicle in the picture that started this thread - this bus 699 has an advert for Gordons on the rear between the upper and lower decks which the bus at the side of the Mill doesn't have! So it's another one!

JackM

« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2018, 12:56:20 PM »

Junction of Cupar Street and Falls Road.  :)
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.

JackM

« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2018, 12:59:41 PM »

Closer view of the above photo. Daley's pub at the Falls Road / Cupar Street junction.   :)
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.

JackM

« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2018, 01:16:04 PM »

As has already been stated this is Cupar Street with its junction with Lawnbrook Avenue and the Falls Flax Mill to the left. Todds shoe / boot shop is in view and the Soldier is standing at the Cupar Street junction with Clonard Gardens outside the `Mecca` fish and chip shop.
Todd's had a drapery shop opposite the shoe shop and also a Butchers shop a few doors down from that. My parents were friends of the Todd family for many years. The large building above the houses to the left is indeed the `Workshops for the Blind` which was there for many, many years. Wish I had a tenner for every time I walked down here, I would be a multi-millionaire instead of just a plain old millionaire.  :)

JackM

« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2018, 01:18:48 PM »

This again is Cupar Street, looking towards the Springfield Road.  :)

JackM

« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2018, 01:21:56 PM »
Is this Bombay street with Kane street to the left ?

I believe it is.   :)

jjmack

« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2018, 08:42:19 PM »

This again is Cupar Street, looking towards the Springfield Road.  :)

Yes, Cupar Street looking towards the Springfield Road. If you look at the roofline of the houses, Lanark Street was where the gap is  :)
Wear your RED POPPY with PRIDE.  Lest we forget. BUY BRITISH.  Support the forces of LAW and ORDER, PAST and PRESENT. Justice for the BRITISH ARMY.

harrydunn

« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2018, 05:01:11 PM »
It looks like some sort of metal clad industrial building to the left of the bus, perhaps a factory or storage building. ?

Closer view of the above photo. Daley's pub at the Falls Road / Cupar Street junction.   :)
Building on right is side wall of The Diamond Picture House

shamrock249

« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2018, 07:07:01 PM »
I believe the original photo in post one is indeed Cupar St. The extreme right of the photo shows the side of the Diamond picture house.

Signed   Mrs Cullen's wee son Jimmy.

billh35

« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2018, 11:32:37 AM »
You are correct shamrock 249. I never looked at the building work before, but it is clearly the same building.

arkie two

« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2018, 12:00:54 PM »
You are correct shamrock 249. I never looked at the building work before, but it is clearly the same building.
  and Charlie daleys pub at the other end of st. the dimond was out of this world. you'd have needed to wear waterboots when entering. the y  always showed the three stooges. just loved it.

jjmack

« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2018, 07:59:39 AM »

Junction of Cupar Street and Falls Road.  :)

Just noticed this, to the right the 'Centre Half' bar, owned by Mickey Hamill. He of Belfast Celtic, Glasgow Celtic, both Manchester clubs and of course Ireland fame. He also managed Distillery. The Hamill family also owned the 'Hamill  Hotel' in Great Victoria Street.  :)
Wear your RED POPPY with PRIDE.  Lest we forget. BUY BRITISH.  Support the forces of LAW and ORDER, PAST and PRESENT. Justice for the BRITISH ARMY.

Colin Brady

Cuper street. Dalys pub was on the corner left side at the Falls Corner

billh35

Colin Brady - any association with Deerpark (for you I mean)?