Author Topic: Are you just starting Family History research?  (Read 112097 times)

Christopher

Are you just starting Family History research?
« on: August 05, 2006, 02:09:25 AM »
The Federation of Family History Societies First Steps in Family History looks as though it may be useful. Here's more helpful information for the beginner including the truth about a couple of old myths.  Are you looking for sites that might have information about your ancestors. Make a cup of tea or pour yourself a drink, then sit down and click here to see some great websites. You'd better get a top up and make a sarny :D This could take some time. The genealogylinks.net site looks a good one. You needn't look at them all at once. Refer back to this thread whenever you need some info. Have a look at Wikipedia Genealogy occasionally too.

Some of your ancestors may have settled in Britain or come from Britain to Ireland. Click here for information regarding searching for British ancestors. Another site worth a look is Jean McCarthy's Genealogical Website

Let's have a closer look at genealogy in the north of Ireland. First there's the North Antrim Genealogy Site.

moreland

Re: Are you just starting Family History research?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 01:23:59 PM »
Hi Christopher,
I am just starting to research my family tree and i am strugling with the irish side as the records don't seem to be as straight forward as ours (English) and some you can't access without paying fees which are higher than any fees i have had to pay to view English records. Do you know of any good sites that may help me in my search? Any help would be appreciated.
 :)

Christopher

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 01:51:37 PM »
Hiya Moreland,

Have you posted details of the family you are researching on the genealogy board? Where are you located? It is sometimes a good idea to come to Belfast to have a look at records yourself. Colette and Joebhoy tell me that you get great value for money when you go into the Ulster Historical Foundation in Belfast. I'm not conversant with fee paying sites so am unable to tell you the good ones and bad ones.

All the Best, Christopher

moreland

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 01:55:56 PM »
HI Christopher,
Yes i have just started my research. I have got as far back as my Grandparents and would like to trace there lines back further. I will post the details on the genealogy board as you said and se if that turns anything up. I am from England and at the moment a trip to Ireland is not an option. When i asked if you new of any sites that could help i was meaning sites that i could view info from without having to pay. Thanks for responding so soon.

tiglet

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 02:44:40 PM »
Hi your in the same boat as me. I've been looking slowly gathering bits for over 2 years now and am escaping from the children and husband to come over for two days of research in Belfast.

Free resources to look at are the
Ulster Covenant 1912 on line
Griffiths Valuation taken around 1851-1861 on line
An LDS (Mormon) Family History Centre which have the Irish BMD Index.
Belfast 1901 and 1911 census parts are on line
Fragments of the 1851 census
Familysearch.org free some accurate BM entries.

And just as useful GOOGLING the surname and place of birth if known. There are a number of forums and websites on the web with bits and pieces. Read every page and follow every link!!!

Unfortunately key things you need will not be free.This is part of my research so far, not for my husbands eyes!! :-X

My gran was born in Ireland luckily I knew her date of birth in 1907 and that she came from Larne. To get any further I ordered her birth certificate (11 groan!! >:()as I hadn't a clue who her parents were. With that information I was able to search the ULSTER COVENANT (free) for all surnames in the same area and found her Dad and possible father and brothers. A check on the "familysearch" website gave me the ages of some of these brothers and names of the parents.
Next was her parents wedding on the UHF site (6)
Then using the LDS (Mormon) Family History Centre I ordered 6 films of the 1901 and 1911 census (2.70 each) with that I found my grans brother, sisters ages, her  maternal grandmothers name and age and confirmed the brothers and mother of her father.

I hope this helps a little and I'm not going to add how much it cost to find out about 10 people!!! :'(

Teresa :)

maitland

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 09:59:39 AM »
im researching my grandfather andrew henderson who on his job application give his address as Rossory in fermanagh,i have now found a man same name as his father in inishmacsaint,could anyone shed any light on this place anything at all will be very welcome
bob

summers76

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2006, 10:52:24 AM »
 :)Hello everyone, looks like I will be on this part of the site soon as I research 'Scanlon' relations that left Belfast to live in the North of England.

For years I have said  .must start family history...ahh!! then we had a short break in Ireland last year (been back since...magic) and when I got home I thought ....right now the time is right. .so be kind to a newbie and if I can help others with links you only have to post a message.

cheers Summers :)

Christopher

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2006, 02:15:18 PM »
Hiya Summers,

Welcome to Belfast Forum.

There is a Newcastle Forum too .. for Tynesiders. Have you had a look at it. It's not so busy as the Belfast one though but it may get busier. It started shortly after the Belfast one but has fewer members so please tell your friends about it and let's see if we can help to improve it. Quite a large number of Irish people went to that area of Britain rather than emigrate to America.

All the Best, Christopher 

summers76

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2006, 11:56:14 PM »
Hi Christopher,
 Many thanks for the welcome, and for the info you posted  . After reading the posts above I have a number of sites (free ones) that will help others on the family trail. I hope to post the list over the weekend, if thats okay?
Meanwhile can I ask when did this Forum  begin? the site is great, so congratulations to webmaster for the hard work.....cheers Summers :)

Christopher

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2006, 01:40:37 PM »
Hiya Summers, the register of members shows this site began just over a year ago. Several of us, who are also members of Rootschat, spotted a message on another genealogy board and joined at the end of May when the genealogy board was added as we thought that was one of the things the site lacked. Most of the members are working very hard to make it a great site although some have yet to post their first message. Please tell everyone you know with Belfast connections about this site. People who want to learn about Belfast but have no connections are very welcome to join  the Forum too as there are plenty of threads where they can join in the crack (craic).

joanne

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2007, 07:52:49 PM »
Hi I have been looking for a while for some of my relatives if any who live in Belfast.My father William Thomas Irwin was born in Belfast in 1905,his mother was Mary Compton.He was sent to CAnada sometime after he was born,I'm not sure when.I have no more info on this and I don't know my father's father,my grandfather mary compton's husband .If anyone knows of any such pple I will be very happy,thanks Joanne.

teap

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2007, 08:30:41 PM »
Hi Joanne I think i found your grand father and grand mothers marraige

Record Type Civil Marriage
Date of Marriage 22 Jun 1903
Groom Name William John IRWIN
Bride Name Mary CAMPTON
Church Saint Annes Church of Ireland
Parish Shankill
Civil District Belfast
County Antrim

;D

Hope this helps

Colette

Christopher

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2007, 08:45:59 PM »
Hiya Joanne,

Welcome to the Forum.

I'm wondering why your father was sent to Canada rather than go to Canada with his parents. There are probably several reasons that could explain why, if he did go without his parents. The early death of his mother and relatives who could raise him living in Canada are a possibility.

Colette, that looks as though you may have found Joanne's grandparents ... just one query ... do you think the registrar may have written Campton instead of Compton?

Chris

teap

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2007, 08:49:33 PM »
It looks that way Chris.

Colette

Christopher

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2007, 08:57:08 PM »
It looks that way Chris.

Colette

Colette,

Have you any ideas why a child would be sent to Canada? I wonder if Acheux might have any information on this one. Would it be stretching it to say William Thomas went to Canada when he was twelve or thirteen? His Dad could have died in the war and maybe his Mum was dead too.

Now we have to try to find great grand parents. 

Chris