Author Topic: Are you just starting Family History research?  (Read 111970 times)

teap

Re: Are you just starting Family History research?
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2007, 09:02:23 PM »
well if Joanne gets the wedding cert details it will give boths bride and grooms fathers names and place of residence at time of the marriage. (if both were under 21 their mothers names will be on the wedding cert details too.

The wedding details are on   http://www.ancestryireland.com but it will cost 6 to view them there and then, or else you can ask   http://www.familyulster.com for the details for 4 it takes a few days and they will reply by email all you do is give them the bride and grooms names and wedding date.

colette

Christopher

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2007, 09:11:09 PM »
The name William J. Iriwin appears twice in the Ulster Covenant. The addresses were  

5, Beechpark Street

58, Christopher Street

They may not have lived in Belfast though. The marriage probably took place in her parish.

teap

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2007, 09:12:36 PM »
wheres beechpark street?

Christopher

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2007, 09:17:08 PM »
wheres beechpark street?

Thanks Colette, I should have mentioned the location. Sorry about that.

121a, Oldpark Road to Manor Street.

Clifton, N. Belfast (UK)

Oldpark (NI)

Those are the political wards and are only applicable after 1922.

I've just looked at the 1880 directory on the Lennon Wylie site  

Compton, W. J., R.I.C., 20 Upton Street

We may have a problem, Colette. The following also appeared in the 1880 directory ...

Campton, James, litho. printer, 10 Sidney Street

Sherry

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2007, 08:49:32 PM »
Hi Christopher,

Thank you for the information, with the help of the sites provided I've been able to find information on my family!!  :)

Thank you once again - this was a great help :)

Kind regards,
Sherry

Christopher

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2007, 12:40:05 AM »
Hello Heather,

Welcome to the Forum.

192.com shows people named Vaughan and Cooke still in the Portadown area. Post them a letter telling them about your research and asking if they might be related. Send an email to [email protected] as they regularly publish family history search messages. I understand that the posters get a reasonable response.
Christopher

pepher

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2007, 05:52:30 PM »
I feel as though I have jumped into the deep end head first, with a suit of armor and I don't even know how to swim.  Translation: I got so excited about tracking my family history that I don't know where to go to get what information.

I was wondering if there is a simple breakdown of the resources available?  What I'm looking for is something like this:

Census - home owner name, name of wife, name of children, occupation, etc...
Covenant - name, address
Birth Certificate - full name, name/surname/address of father, name/maiden name of mother, profession, witness, etc...
Wedding Certificate - full name groom, name/maiden name bride, grooms father name, brides father name, church location, date, etc...
Medal Card - name, rank, regiment, date entered theatre of war, medal entitlements, etc..
CWGC - name, rank, date killed, location of memorial, etc...
... and so on and so on...

I have a mishmash of information on a number of relatives but am missing some vital bits (don't know my paternal grandfathers parents names).  I think if I had a reference chart, much more extensive than the one I mocked up above, I would be better equipped to attack all this information.  Any help or suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks all!

Christopher

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2007, 12:22:11 PM »
Hiya pepher,

I hope I've understood what you require. The last time someone asked for places where a relative could visit to find information about their ancestors while they were in Belfast I spent a couple of hours compiling a list of places. The member posted a message telling me that the information I had compiled was not what they requested and left the site. I've no time for that sort of nonsense and hate seeing anyone assisting on a genealogy site being treated in such a manner. There are a large number of people searching for ancestors in Ireland ... many of them have been waiting years for a reply so when a person receives a prompt reply it's somewhat surprising to receive an abusive reply for making the effort and trying to help them. Most of the voluntary look up sites contain a message requesting that a specific query is asked when you post them a request for information. The phrase "and so on and so on..." covers a lot of ground. People taking the trouble to reply are not mind readers so they may well omit a few important details that you require. 

You may have to visit PRONI to look at the Census but the Belfast Family and Community History site contains the 1901 and 1911 Census for part of the city.

The 1912 Ulster Covenant is online.

There are several sites that tell you where to look for BMDs in the UK and Ireland. Funnily enough the Vancouver Public Library Online History and Government Division contains excellent information about the British Isles Civil Registration Records.

The Great War 1914-1918 site contains good information on how to get started in your search for British Service Personnel.

There are several Directories online such as www.lennonwylie.co.uk which also contains an excellent Look Up site. I understand that at some stage in the future PRONI will be putting a number of directories online

The Local Studies departments at the BELB, NEELB, SEELB, SELB and WELB of the Northern Ireland Library Service are a great source for information. When people email a specific query to any of them they usually get a prompt reply which in many cases will be very detailed. 

Christopher

pepher

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2007, 02:29:27 PM »
Thank you very much for your reply Christopher.  I do appologize if you or anyone else misinterpreted my request as something compiled of 'nonsense'.  As a newbie to the forum and Genealogy process as a whole, I found my self rather excited when I uncovered information on people I once knew and am related with.  I have used this forum and received a great deal of help and tips from numerous members and tried to put a little something back offering what little I could with a single membership to Emerald Ancestors (it does expire tomorrow, July 25 though). 

Through the assistance of numerous experienced and very kind people in the Belfast Forum as well as a few other sites, I've been able to add to what my parents have told me, confirm or clear up some details, and recognize where some of the 'holes' are that I will need to investigate and fill in myself.  It is here that I post my original question.

For example, I do not know the First Name of my Grandfather's Father nor do I know the First Name and Maiden Name of my Grandfather's Mother.  I know I can get both (including their address) from my Grandfather's Birth Certificate but that would mean I need to know my Grandfather's Birthday.  I know my Grandfather grew up on Collyer Street but don't know how old he was then, when he left, where he worked, or any other details that would lead my queries towards an answer.  A bit of chain reaction occurs when information is missing so having an idea on what documents are out there that may hold some detail of missing information would be great (perhaps this is the 'ideal world' senario).

I thought that a useful tool from the forum to newbies would be a Guide/List of potential resources (not necesarily websites or buildings) but a detail of what actual information certain documents contain.  Last week, my father dug out his Birth Certificate.  It was the first time I had seen one from that era (1929) and I was happy to confirm my Grandfather's middle name, something I did not have nor did my parents know.  I was also able to confirm their address as well as my Great Aunt's address as she turned out to be detailed under Signature, Qualification and Resident of Information on the certificate.

Anyway, I am sorry to go on like this.  I felt a bit as though I should defend my original post as though I may have been asking too much.  If that is the case, forget I asked, please.  Perhaps my original request was misinterpreted?  If that is the case, perhaps I could try to be more clear next time. 

I have greatly benefited from the assistance received from everyone here on the forum as well as enjoyed reading everyone elses journey and stories.  In no way do I wish to leave a negative mark when my original attempt was to simply seek out assistance.  A list of documents and the information they include could be something that is constructed over a long period of time and added to by members voluntarily.  It would certainly become a useful tool to new members and I would be glad to help contribute throughout my journey given the support I've recieved in the recent past.

Thank you for taking the time to read all this and have a great day...

Christopher

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2007, 02:51:08 PM »
Thank you very much for your reply Christopher.  I do appologize if you or anyone else misinterpreted my request as something compiled of 'nonsense'. 

There's no need to apologise, pepher.

You posted a reasonable request. Many others  find themselves in the same position as yourself ...
I feel as though I have jumped into the deep end head first, with a suit of armor and I don't even know how to swim.  Translation: I got so excited about tracking my family history that I don't know where to go to get what information.

Posters need to be fairly careful when quoting the detais of the information contained on certain documents as that may involve Crown Copyright. There'd be no harm giving links to the relevent documents  and more comprehensive information can probably be posted by an email, a letter or a PM

Christopher

prester

« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2007, 10:26:29 AM »

help i have just been sent this info, Name born belfast1/no1/202 4th quarter
    can anyone tell me where to look it up?
this world is but a narrow bridge,this bridge we all must cross.
so when you cross this narrow bridge be careful  how you walk.

charles w

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2007, 02:56:13 AM »
help i have just been sent this info, Name born belfast1/no1/202 4th quarter
can anyone tell me where to look it up?

Chichester Street, General Birth / deaths records.  The 202 is the page number.

Have you the Name?  I am going to the records office tomorrow.

prester

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2007, 11:34:57 AM »

george black. ?   

this world is but a narrow bridge,this bridge we all must cross.
so when you cross this narrow bridge be careful  how you walk.

joyce

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2007, 04:44:45 PM »
Click here to read the Table of Contents of the A - Z of British Genealogical Research.
I have tryed to sign up to this with no success any ideas ??? >:(
The Irish Newspaper Archives is a subscription site. Check if your local library or research organisation ... LDS, PRONI, UHF or a professional genealogist you may use subscribes to this website. The Archives do not have any Ulster papers at the moment but keep your eye on the site as they are updating regularly. This archive consists of continuous news publications from 1763 up to current month.

Christopher

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2007, 10:56:04 AM »
Hiya Joyce,

I assume you mean that you've tried to register on the Irish Newspaper Archives site. The registration form looks simple enough. If you could describe the problem you are having someone may be able to assist.

Christopher