Author Topic: Are you just starting Family History research?  (Read 111972 times)

abh1retired

Re: Are you just starting Family History research?
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2007, 08:21:53 AM »
 I'm hoping to get at least a start on this. My last name is Stitt. My Father lived on May Street in Belfast as a child. He was born on June 25, 1918. If anyone can give me a direction in which to go I'd appreciate it very much. I'm a retired US Navy veteran trying to find my roots.

Sincerely,

Billy Stitt

teap

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2007, 08:36:05 AM »
Hi Billy i just had a look at the 1907 Street directory

May Street Little
(Cromac Street to Alfred Street)

39. Stitt, J., tailor

maybe your grandfather?

Colette

abh1retired

« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2007, 08:49:42 AM »
 Could possibly be. My late Father came from a rather large family 13 brothers and 2 sisters. He also mentioned that he had 11 cousins growing up next door.

Thank you very much Colette. My email address is [email protected]

Respectfully,

Billy Stitt

maddog

« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2007, 08:49:58 AM »
billy there r a lot of stitt family's who still live in the markets area beside may street i'll ask about and see if there is a connection and get back to you.

maddog

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2007, 08:50:57 AM »
Could possibly be. My late Father came from a rather large family 13 brothers and 2 sisters. He also mentioned that he had 11 cousins growing up next door.

Thank you very much Colette. My email address is [email protected]

Respectfully,

Billy Stitt
does henry stitt come to mind

abh1retired

« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2007, 08:53:32 AM »
 Age about 71 y/o my Dad's brother and also the youngest of the family.

Billy

maddog

« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2007, 08:55:07 AM »
yep thats right there sister died 2 months ago mary she lived close to me and henry lives down the street.

abh1retired

« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2007, 09:01:15 AM »
 Yes thank you very much. Sad to hear about my Aunt though.

Thank you,

Billy

maddog

« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2007, 09:02:55 AM »
what would u like me to ask henry.

Christopher

« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2007, 02:58:26 AM »
Hello,

There are so many helpful sites on line now compared with 5 years ago
I found it best when researching my own family  to locate them first in Griffith's Valuation of 1860 and then move on from there via the cancellation books to the 1901 census.

I found www.ulsterancestry.com to be very helpful. They replied quickly to my e mail requests and were polite and professional in their approach.
They were able to get me  vital information were other agencies had failed.

best wishes
James

Hello James,

I get the impression that you paid Ulsterancestry.com for a professional search. As a matter of interest did you mention that they'd succeeded to those agencies who had failed to get the information you required? If they were made aware of that fact they might well endeavour to raise their standards. I'm not a hundred per cent certain that feed back to sites such as the Forum and RootsChat is adequate. It would be better to complain to the CEOs of the agencies who fail to deliver the required information as well.

Christopher

Christopher

« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2007, 02:30:56 PM »
I'm just wondering, James, whether the Ulster Historical Foundation was one of the agencies you said failed which could be the reason you posted a large amout of misinformation about the Foundation. Do you possibly have any connection with the organisation who you say "replied quickly to my e mail requests and were polite and professional in their approach. They were able to get me  vital information were other agencies had failed."

The UHF charge members 10 for a half hour search and non members 15 for a half hour search. They DO NOT, I repeat NOT, ask anyone to join before they undertake research on their behalf. What they do ... which is standard practice for genealogists ... is ask for an advance and the balance is charged when the work is completed

teap

« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2007, 02:44:49 PM »
Christopher are you stalking james  ;) ;D

Christopher

« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2007, 03:14:40 PM »
Christopher are you stalking james  ;) ;D

Something like that Colette.

The guy appears to be attempting to sell a certain genealogy site. He's made five posts here and none on RootsChat or the one he mentioned so he paid them money for their search. I wonder what they charged him?
I could be mistaken, Colette, but did you when you went to the UHF at the corner of Wellington Place and Fisherwick Place or even upstairs in Fisherwick Place do any research for a friend. If you did were you charged anything like 50 and told you could pass it on.

There's one thing everyone either does not know or has forgotten or possibly conveniently forgets. The UHF were the first Irish centre to put their records on line and got not one penny of government assistance for that exercise. They took a chance and invested a fair amount of money to put their records on line.   

Christopher

TIMETRAVELER

« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2007, 05:08:47 PM »
There is a YDNA surname project for the Meharg/McHargs at www.familytreedna.com/public/McHarg_McHargue.  It's a new project and rather small at this point.  HOWEVER, we have tested McHargues from the states, a McHarg from Scotland and a Meharg from Northern Ireland.  The DNA says we are all related to varying degrees with the Scot and the Irishman being more closely related.  We are all also descendents of the Ui Neills as researched by Trinity College who determined their genetic markers.  If you are a Meharg or McHarg and would like to find if there is a connection between you and others of the variation of the name, please go to the website and read about the project.  There is also general YDNA information at www.familytreedna.com.  This can assist in the paper trail genealogy when there is a close degree of relatedness.

ballyargus

« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2007, 11:23:49 PM »
 Posted by: teap      Posted on: November 10, 2007, 02:44:49 PM
Insert Quote

Christopher are you stalking James

Yes, Christopher you are staking me, and agressively too.

My family connections to Belfast and its environs go back over 200 years.[How far do yours go back?]
My fathers great great grandfather was born in Templepatrick and went on to serve at Trafalgar with Captain Boyd of Glenarm one of Nelsons captains.
When Captain Boyd built his Linen Factory on the Salt Water Bridge in Belfast c 1820 William went to work for him and lived in a small house where the  Europa Bus Station car park is today.
I started researching my family history in 1988 and in that time I have used all manner of people and research agencies to bring me to where I am today. [An unbroken family tree from 1740-2007]
I could list many people who have helped me in my search, including John McCabe, Brian Mitchell, John Greer and Ulster Ancestry.
I found the Genweb centers generally to be of no use at all and yes I did use the UHF]
I mentioned Ulster Ancestry simply as they did a very detailed piece of work for me and made many major breakthroughs. It was excellent research [as were the others]
I have [as you quite wrongly suggest] no connection to any of them at all, apart from as a satisfied customer.
My issue with the UHF is that [I feel] they charge substantial sums of money, promise the moon and the stars, and then give little or nothing of value in return.

I now live in happy and contented retirement in County Donegal and visit PRONI and the Linen Hall as and when I can, to continue my research.

Your remarks Christopher, both to me and to other forum members about me, are unfair, unjustified and
most unwelcome.

James.