Author Topic: Are you just starting Family History research?  (Read 134356 times)

Canadian McCullough

Re: Are you just starting Family History research?
« Reply #390 on: September 10, 2019, 08:49:55 PM »
Wow, there's so much information and history on this Forum. I have only scratched the surface of researching my Family Tree. I do know that my ancestors on my Mom's side were from the Shankill Road area of Belfast Ireland including my grandfather James McCullough who was sent over to Canada at a young age. I just returned to Canada from a visit to Belfast and I must say how incredibly beautiful it was and how delightfully friendly the people are. I really enjoyed walking the Shankill Road area and I took many photos including one of a memorial to my late great Uncle William McCullough who was killed in WWI. If any of this rings a bell, please feel free to chime in. I'll update more as I go. :)
Thanks,Larry

James James

« Reply #391 on: September 10, 2019, 09:31:34 PM »
Wow, there's so much information and history on this Forum. I have only scratched the surface of researching my Family Tree. I do know that my ancestors on my Mom's side were from the Shankill Road area of Belfast Ireland including my grandfather James McCullough who was sent over to Canada at a young age. I just returned to Canada from a visit to Belfast and I must say how incredibly beautiful it was and how delightfully friendly the people are. I really enjoyed walking the Shankill Road area and I took many photos including one of a memorial to my late great Uncle William McCullough who was killed in WWI. If any of this rings a bell, please feel free to chime in. I'll update more as I go. :)   Thanks,Larry 
Yes,... and congratulations and well done, but for your future research reference, giving zero specific identifiable details of a particular topic/person,... isn't the best or most potentially productive way to go.

https://www.cwgc.org/find/find-war-dead/results?initial=w&lastName=McCullough%2b&war=1&tab=wardead&pageSize=100&casualtypagenumber=1

FiFiLuLu

« Reply #392 on: June 17, 2020, 10:01:28 AM »
Hi Christopher

I am trying to research my husbands grandfather but am finding it hard to get anywhere and sites showing no results.  Sadly we don't have much information but we do have a date of death as a telegram was sent to his son on the day of his death so we know it's 100% accurate.  We have been told he was married three times but again can't find any records.

His name was Thomas Weir and he died on 7th March 1965 we think in Lurgan as that is where he had a farm.

Could you point me in the right direction to get a death certificate as hopefully that should show his date of birth.

Many thanks in advance, Fiona Weir

valkerr

« Reply #393 on: June 17, 2020, 10:28:20 PM »
His name was Thomas Weir and he died on 7th March 1965 we think in Lurgan as that is where he had a farm.

Could you point me in the right direction to get a death certificate as hopefully that should show his date of birth.

You need to pay for credits, 50p per credit, 5 credits to view the record.
https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk
D/1965/178/1021/19/168   Thomas   Weir   7th March 1965   79      Male   Lurgan(pre-1973 Q4)

Bread Basket

« Reply #394 on: June 18, 2020, 09:16:28 AM »
Hi Christopher

I am trying to research my husbands grandfather but am finding it hard to get anywhere and sites showing no results.  Sadly we don't have much information but we do have a date of death as a telegram was sent to his son on the day of his death so we know it's 100% accurate.  We have been told he was married three times but again can't find any records.

Hi Fiona, sent you a pm but as you are new to the Forum you will not be able to reply to me directly, just post your reply here.
Good luck.

FiFiLuLu

« Reply #395 on: June 18, 2020, 09:27:00 AM »
Many thanks. I have now been able to order a death certificate for my husbands Grandfather Thomas Weir which is fantastic progress after less than 24 hours posting on here !

Special thanks to Bread Basket and Valkerr for their help.

My husbands father was called Clarence Weir DOB 17.08.1918 and he had a full brother Ernest Weir approx 1915

Thomas Weir was married (we are told) three times.  He had two children by his first marriage, two girls named  Lillian and Ethel he then went on to marry again and had two boys, Ernest and Clarence, he then had a third marriage and three more children Jim, Joe and Ada DOB 12/01/1930.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Bread Basket

« Reply #396 on: June 18, 2020, 09:31:45 AM »
Many thanks. I have now been able to order a death certificate for my husbands Grandfather Thomas Weir which is fantastic progress after less than 24 hours posting on here !

Special thanks to Bread Basket and Valkerr for their help.

My husbands father was called Clarence Weir DOB 17.08.1918 and he had a full brother Ernest Weir approx 1915

Thomas Weir was married (we are told) three times.  He had two children by his first marriage, two girls named  Lillian and Ethel he then went on to marry again and had two boys, Ernest and Clarence, he then had a third marriage and three more children Jim, Joe and Ada DOB 12/01/1930.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Great, now that we have more information the better he chance of getting more info on Thomas
👍🏼

Bread Basket

« Reply #397 on: June 18, 2020, 09:41:34 AM »
1st Marriage

FiFiLuLu

« Reply #398 on: June 18, 2020, 09:44:15 AM »
I can't believe it, Bread Basket you are amazing !

Thank you so much for this  :)

Bread Basket

« Reply #399 on: June 18, 2020, 09:47:53 AM »
I can't believe it, Bread Basket you are amazing !

Thank you so much for this  :)

FiFiLuLu

« Reply #400 on: June 18, 2020, 09:52:17 AM »
Bread Basket, it just gets better and better, you are so helpful and I really appreciate it  :)

Bread Basket

« Reply #401 on: June 18, 2020, 10:00:21 AM »

FiFiLuLu

« Reply #402 on: June 18, 2020, 10:12:29 AM »
Bread Basket   what can I say apart from thank you, which doesn't seem enough.  You are being so helpful and my husband would like me to thank you as well, it's amazing  :)

Bread Basket

« Reply #403 on: June 18, 2020, 10:19:03 AM »
Bread Basket   what can I say apart from thank you, which doesn't seem enough.  You are being so helpful and my husband would like me to thank you as well, it's amazing  :)
just hit a wee bit of a problem.
I re-read your message and realised that your Clarence was a result of Thomasís second marriage.

Now the problem, you say that Lilian & Ethel were from his 1st marriage, they are here, see below.

And the problem is if Ethel & Lilly /Lillian are the children from the 1st marriage then that throws everything out the window as this marriage was in 1886.  the year of Thomasís birth if the details of his death are correct.... dying at 79 in 1965 makes him born in 1886

Iím off for a cup of tea and to scratch my head on this one

FiFiLuLu

« Reply #404 on: June 18, 2020, 10:30:27 AM »
Hi, Bread Basket, the info is all a bit sketchy as Clarence wasn't very informative about his family.  Are you thinking that Lilly and Ethel may have been Thomas' aunts rather than sisters ?
I am at work and it's difficult to make out the writing and dates.  I will be able to look more closely at home.  You certainly know your stuff and how to get information, thanks so much  :)