Author Topic: Are you just starting Family History research?  (Read 134430 times)

ballyargus

Re: Are you just starting Family History research?
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2007, 11:25:43 PM »

Sorry I mean "Stalk" not "Stake"!!!

I don't think even Christopher would want to stake me, but then again???? :)

James

Belle Fast

« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2007, 05:56:00 AM »
James welcome to the forum, you've got an interesting family history there, I  can't even go back as far as my dads parents, too many skeletons  :)

teap

« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2007, 08:22:41 AM »
Yes James Belle is right you do have a very intresting family history, Ive got back to 1791, its a hard long slog too. Welcome to the forum

Colette

ballyargus

« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2007, 10:16:04 AM »

Hi

Many thanks to you both for your warm Welcome.
Very much appreciated!

kindest regards
James

ballyargus

« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2007, 09:36:08 AM »

This message was posted yesterday on a rootsweb board.
I think it confirms my own views
James

Dear LIST members,

I have had many problems with the accuracy of information obtained from
  www.ancestryireland.com [ UHF] and I know I am not alone.  I wondered why although
  I contacted the company I never received any response nor were any efforts
  made to correct the data.  A fellow LIST member told me to look at their
  Liability Disclaimer and I think the third paragraph clearly describes the
  only course of action open to anyone with concerns about the data on the
    www.ancestryireland.com [ UHF]  site.

**  The information, products and services included on this Web Service may
  include inaccuracies or typographical errors. Changes are periodically made
  to the information herein. UHF provides all content "as is", and without any
  warranty of any kind.

**  The Ulster Historical Foundation makes no representations concerning the
  suitability, reliability or accuracy of the content or the service provided
  on the websites for any purpose. We disclaim all warranties, expressed or
  implied, in connection with the content and the services provided, including
  conditions of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, title and
  non-infringement. If no case will we be liable for any direct, indirect,
  punitive, special or other damages including, without limitation, lost or
  delay of use, lost profits, loss of data or any other damage in contract,
  tort, equity or any other legal theory, even if advised of the possibility
  thereof.

**  If you are dissatisfied with this website or any of the websites or any
  terms of their use, your sole remedy is to discontinue using it.

Conversely, another site that I frequently use www.emeraldancestors.com
  takes a different approach which may be seen from their Disclaimer

**  Emerald Ancestors endeavours to ensure that the information contained
  within this Website and provided through all of our services is accurate.
  However, due to the nature of the service, users should note that the
  information can include inaccuracies and typographical errors.

I know that whenever I have contacted www.emeraldancestors.com they have
  been extremely quick to verify and when necessary correct any
  mistranscriptions.

Fiona

simonroxsox

« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2008, 02:06:01 PM »
I feel as though I have jumped into the deep end head first, with a suit of armor and I don't even know how to swim.  Translation: I got so excited about tracking my family history that I don't know where to go to get what information.

I was wondering if there is a simple breakdown of the resources available?  What I'm looking for is something like this:

Census - home owner name, name of wife, name of children, occupation, etc...
Covenant - name, address
Birth Certificate - full name, name/surname/address of father, name/maiden name of mother, profession, witness, etc...
Wedding Certificate - full name groom, name/maiden name bride, grooms father name, brides father name, church location, date, etc...
Medal Card - name, rank, regiment, date entered theatre of war, medal entitlements, etc..
CWGC - name, rank, date killed, location of memorial, etc...
... and so on and so on...

I have a mishmash of information on a number of relatives but am missing some vital bits (don't know my paternal grandfathers parents names).  I think if I had a reference chart, much more extensive than the one I mocked up above, I would be better equipped to attack all this information.  Any help or suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks all!

it's a minefield, more a job than a hobby but as things start to unravel it is very satisfying

missy

« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2008, 04:46:59 PM »
  Can anyone help ,looking for Sutters from Ballymenna church of Ireland. My great grandmother Sara best m AlexanderSutters 1861 as far as we know they had three children Sarah James and Alexander. If anyone in the area know either the Best or Sutters family they must have people from generations on still with the names.
                           Many thanks Messy.

Girl 1

« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2008, 01:42:22 PM »
 :) Hi everyone, thought I would jot down a couple of names to see if anyone else out there is looking at the same family. McCartney's/Magill's who I am led to believe came from Belfast. My Great Grandad G. McCartney was I think married to Elizabeth Mitchell and had six children.

The other side is Great Grandad Arthur Magill who married a Mary? Mount and they had seven children. Haven't managed to get any further back than that so any help/info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Paula  O0

Meg

« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2008, 07:59:55 AM »
Hello
regarding the postings about the Stitt family
i too would be gratefull for any information
the Joseph Stitt in the 1907 sd had a wife Catherine who was previously married to a Joseph Matthews ,in 1901 2 of Catherine's children where living with the family and i have been trying to trace what became of them .

kind regards
meg

Christopher

« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2008, 03:46:55 PM »
Hi Fiona,

Thanks for your post re the message about the UHF on RootsWeb. It's a good idea to draw the attention of others researching their roots to such messages.

There's a genealogical golden rule which needs to be applied no matter which database you are using when searching for your ancestors ... always check the facts and if necessary double check the facts. Most of the databases contain inaccuracies although some of them are worse than others. Some of the people who run a data base are extremely helpful ... whenever they receive an e-mail from a person using their site regarding incorrect information on their database they correct the errors immediately. Others ignore such messages and let the matter lie which helps nobody and merely annonys researchers.

Christopher

marketman

« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2008, 07:30:19 PM »
Hello there, I need help with a search that I am doing into my family history.  What I need to know is if there is any records of Ship captains, I know that my Great-great grandfather was listed as deceased in 1879 because of a marriage certificate.  His name was John Hughes and he came from 23 McCleery street also his daughter was called Mary and his wife's name was Martha.  I have came to a stop if anyone can help that would be great, thanks.

Christopher

« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2008, 08:23:30 PM »
Hello marketman,

PRONI have lists on Microfilm  ...

Shipping Agreements and Crew Lists. [Copy of TRANS/2A] MIC.574.

Christopher

cathy bell

« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2008, 01:30:20 AM »
Hi Christopher,
I wonder if you could point me in the right direction.
My grandfather James Donaghy & a Mr McPeak were shot & killed by the Black & Tan. They were shot on a tram going to work one morning in 1916 or 1917, they both lived in Ligoniel at the time. That is all I know, I was wondering if at that time it would have been in any newspaper. As I plan to go back to Belfast next year I would like to know where to start.

Thanks, Cathy

Christopher

« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2008, 02:19:09 AM »
Hello Cathy,

The article "Belfast riots go back centuries" dated Friday, 11th January, 2002, on the BBC website http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1752949.stm  doesn't mention 1916-1917 although there is a chart on the page which mentions "1920s: Serious gun battles, hundreds die"

Have you anything specific to show who killed your grandfather and Mr McPeak?  Their deaths may have been caused by ricochet bullets. The dates seem peculiar to me as it wasn't until 1920 that the British government reinforced the RIC with British ex-soldiers who were known as the "Black and Tans." Don't forget some of those guys were fighting beside their fellow Irishmen in the trenches in France in 1916-1917. 

Christopher

cathy bell

« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2008, 02:51:21 AM »
Christopher,
Do you stay up all night ?  if I remember I think you are in Belfast.
Well about my grandfather I can only relate what my mother told me. She was born in 1912 and said she was 5yrs old when her father died so Im' assuming he died in 1916/1917. He had cousins of the same name who were in the IRA and someone pointed him out as being in the IRA because of his last name, he was not in in IRA nor was Mr McPeak.I did read some where that the Black & Tans did not arrive untill 1920 . So Im' just going by the story my mother told which as you know can change as years go by. my mother died in 1992 and Iam the only one left in my family. Do you think I could start at St. Vincent DePaul church in Ligoniel and see if there is any records ?
Thanks for your quick reply,
Cathy