Author Topic: Are you just starting Family History research?  (Read 134413 times)

Christopher

Re: Are you just starting Family History research?
« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2008, 03:44:22 AM »
The Church is a good starting point.

cathy bell

« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2008, 03:07:37 AM »
Hi Christopher,
I will check out the church in Ligoniel next year.
I also want to thank you, Re: the info you put on this thread, I was able to go into the 1911 census and found my mothers family. I now know their ages and my great grans first name.
Thanks again, you are a gem.

cathy

Justgran

« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2008, 01:38:50 PM »
I recently spent quite a few hours at Central Record Office, Belfast and it was a very worthwhile visit. The staff were very helpful.

summers76

« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2008, 03:09:11 PM »
The International Surname Navigator allows you to search multiple databases with one entry.   

Hi Christopher, just had a go at that brilliant link you posted :) looks like I may have another busy weekend going through family names etc. .thank you for posting cheers Summers

louisapoh

« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2008, 11:47:35 PM »
Hello Moreland & Christopher,

Only today I found about this site & I'm so surprised that so many people out there are facing the problem like me.  Moreland, you are right ... it is much CHEAPER to research info on England & Wales but Northern Ireland has very little records online (or at least post 1900).  Most of the info is prior to 1900.

I am almost going to give up :-(

I hear Ulster Family does provide professional research.  Have anyone used Brian before ?

Appreciate any advice.

Christopher

« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2008, 11:54:29 PM »
I'd be inclined to find as much as possible on your own before asking a professional to do research on your behalf. Where possible use a professional who posts on the various Forums you use ... not all of them post on websites used by people that like to do their own research ... those that do deserve our  support

It might be worthwhile looking at Emerald Ancestors too as they offer a look up service if their site contains some information and indicates that more is available. www.emeraldancestors.com/services/viewdetails.asp?ID=3

louisapoh

« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2008, 08:26:55 AM »
Christopher,

Thank you for your kind reply.  Really appreciate it !  I'm actually looking for a catholic baptism cert for my fiancee.  He was baptised in Belfast.  Todate, I have found a lot of information from ascestry.co.uk about his English side (his father) but nothing much from the Irish side (his mother).

I have also contacted over 30 parish priests in Belfast but have not found any luck :(

I will go through the website you suggest this weekend & see how much info I will get.

BTW, Brian from Ulster Family said he will have to charge me 100 for the research.  Although it is VERY expensive, I feel research on my own bit by bit eventually will also cost just as much.

Thank you once again !

Christopher

« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2008, 11:14:55 AM »
Hello  louisapoh,

Forget the priests for a minute and if you've not already done so send a message to the Editors of the Belfast Telegraph for the "Searching Issues" section on the Letters Page  and the Irish News ...

The e-mail addresses are:

1. [email protected]
2. Check this link for the address www.irishnews.com/contact.asp?catid=5834

Also send an e-mail to Gerry Anderson at Radio Foyle ... www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland/radiofoyle/programmes/gerryanderson/index.shtml

It's worth a shot. Mention Belfast Forum while you're at it.

The Belfast, Ulster and Irish Studies should be able to check directories to find Hurleys for you. www.ni-libraries.net/libraries/belb/belfast-central-library-ulster-and-irish-studies

I hope you get a response.

Christopher

louisapoh

« Reply #68 on: May 16, 2008, 11:21:57 AM »
Christopher,

Thanks for your advice !  Only problem is my fiancee only wants to find his baptism cert but he doesn't want to find his mother.  She left him at age of 6 months & he is still very sore about the whole situation.

That's why the only way I can find his cert is through publicly available information.  He doesn't want me to approach the Salvation Army etc.

I guess contacting the Telegraph etc. will mean his mother may be alerted :-(

Anyway, I will try emerald website that you gave me  

L

Christopher

« Reply #69 on: May 16, 2008, 11:37:26 AM »
Hello L,

Have a look at Bob Murray's Root and Branch scale of charges ...

www.youririsheyes.com/services_and_fees.html

Christopher

louisapoh

« Reply #70 on: May 16, 2008, 11:53:16 AM »
Christopher,

Thanks for the info.  You are certainly VERY informative.  I have just written to Bob Murray & see if he can help me.

Meanwhile, based on what little info I know, I have also done a search from the GRO NI office on my fiancee's mother birth certificate.  I hope I will be able to push forward once I get some lead on where his mother was born.

I have also paid for his parent's marriage cert in Romford, UK.  Hopefully, I can see where his mother's address was at time of marriage & her father's name.

The marriage cert will arrive on 22 May.

Thanks once again for all your help !  I will be able to do research on the website you have given to me over this weekend.

louisapoh

« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2008, 12:07:19 AM »
Hmm ... unfortunately, emeraldascestors only have database  prior to 1922.  My fiance was born in 1961 & his mother possibly born in 1941.  So I am back to square 1  :(

I have written to Bob Murray to get a quote.  Hopefully, I am successful.

Thanks once again !

shirley

« Reply #72 on: July 07, 2008, 10:54:22 AM »
hi started doing the family tree about 10 yrs ago manage to do my fathers side  now trying  my mothers side not as easy. can get some details then hit a blank any one who knows any details of james dewart  born 1908 in belfast/antrim would be of great help ta.

louisapoh

« Reply #73 on: July 07, 2008, 11:08:42 AM »
Hi,

Your best bet is to try the GRO, Northern Ireland.

The website is :-

http://www.groni.gov.uk/

Good luck with the search.

j

« Reply #74 on: July 13, 2008, 06:30:06 PM »
Hi Louisapoh
Id be very wary of family ulster. Paid my 6 on 10 June and still waiting after getting a very strange email from them looking for another 100.

Tried to ring number on web page left message and sent another 3 emails and Im still waiting.
J
MOORE,SMALLWOODS-LONDONDERRY
BARR,STEWART,CROTHERS-BELFAST