Author Topic: Ewarts Mill  (Read 549 times)

Nicdun

Ewarts Mill
« on: March 25, 2018, 07:41:14 PM »

HI all,

I am looking for information about Ewart's Mill, my grandmother and some of her sisters may have worked there in late 1920s early 30s, their last name was Bunting. They lived on Distillery Street. Just trying to fill in some information about their jobs and work life. Thanks  :)

amcclements

Re: Ewarts Mill
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 09:41:36 AM »
I also would like more information about Ewarts Mill - male occupations.

My great great grandfather Thomas Craig born abt. 1833 lived at Ewarts Mill in 1855 according to the certificate of his marriage to Isabella Neill. He was 22 years old at the time and his occupation was brass  ? (Ineligible).

Later in his life, his occupation was listed as ‘plumber’ and ‘gas fitter’.

What type of occupation did he have at the mill? I am also trying to understand why he also lived there at that point.

Regards, Angela

Jimmy Patterson

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 11:42:37 AM »
Amcc a lot of the workers in those days were from outside belfast. So the mills provided accomodation for them. I think ewarts row was built by the mill to accomadate it's workers.

amcclements

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2019, 09:21:06 AM »
Thankyou Jimmy, I had not considered he may have been an out of towner. This gives me more ideas now to go further with my tree. Regards, Angela

amcclements

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 10:13:29 AM »
Possibly my grandfather in 1855 was a Brass Founder. The second word from his marriage certificate regarding occupation could be ‘founder’ though it’s a bit hard to read. It could even have an ‘r’ after ‘F’, something like Frounder. Is it likely a brass founder was employed by and living at Ewarts Mill in 1855? His marriage certificate says he was living at Ewarts mill. Thankyou, Angela

Jimmy Patterson

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2019, 10:29:59 AM »
Probably a brass founder I think that was a trade in those days.

amcclements

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2019, 10:34:41 AM »
Thanks Jimmy, I was just reading about brass founders working at brass foundaries. Maybe they needed a brass founder at Ewarts Mill for a period in 1855.

Jimmy Patterson

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2019, 10:50:32 AM »
It could have something to do with gas. I think a lot of the fittings were made of brass.

amcclements

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2019, 10:54:03 AM »
Thanks, he was listed as a gas fitter and plumber later in life, so that seems to fit.