Author Topic: 2019 LEONARDO DRAWINGS Exhibition - Ulster Museum  (Read 564 times)

Bread Basket

Re: 2019 LEONARDO DRAWINGS Exhibition - Ulster Museum
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 09:10:35 AM »
A bit of a claim to fame here. I actually held in my gloved hands a complete book of these and similar sketches from the Royal Collection. I happened to be in a room when the Curator and a book restorer were doing some work on the volume. The Curator informed me and my colleagues that the sketches were worth about 1m each.... there were blinking dozens of them 😳😳.
True story. Early 80s

James James

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 09:37:43 AM »
Stunning !,... WOW !,... the actual originals !,... did you get to open the book and look at the drawings ?!,... have you got the slightest idea, which I'm sure that you probably have, what a tiny minority that must make you a member of. ?!

I'm guessing,... and it's none of my business, nor anyone else's,... but,... Brigade of Guards. ?

I first saw those in a book of his drawings that I got from a library when I was at school,... and even then I thought that they were incredible.

This is believed to be a self portrait.

Bread Basket

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 08:57:36 AM »
Fire👍🏼. Yes the Curator flicked through some. Awesome

James James

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 09:42:22 AM »
Awesome indeed !,... and could he ever have even possibly imagined that he would have been so famous today.

He was so far ahead of his time in so many ways, and even though he was a pacifist he used his creative abilities to create many new types of weapons, in an age in which warfare was pretty much constant.

Amazingly the remains of what may well be a weapon based on one of his designs was found in 1968, and rather prophetically perhaps, it was found in Croatia.

https://steemit.com/history/@getonthetrain/leonardo-da-vinci-s-weapons-of-war

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/croatia/8569045/Leonardo-da-Vincis-machine-gun-cannon-discovered-by-archeologists.html