Author Topic: John McCann emigrated with his wife Catherine Smythe in 1837.  (Read 326 times)

Judy Walker

I would appreciate any info on McCann family.  They sailed to New York from Liverpool with their children John Jr. and Catherine.  John Sr. was born c. 1804 and Catherine c.1805

JimG

Re: John McCann emigrated with his wife Catherine Smythe in 1837.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 10:56:19 PM »
Judy I wish you every bit of irish luck, but you have two common last names. emigrating before the times of census.  The name Smythe is easly muddled by enumerators or by the person themselves with the spelling, Smyth and even Smith .  Sometimes an occupation helps[/font][/color]
A census substitute the Tithes Applotment books c1823-37 is indexed for the only head of household  if you possibly could find McCann and Bowman you might be finding their parents in the same county, then civil parish., you just might be in the best clue area  eg there are 27 Smythe in Cos Dublin, Cavan, Cork Kilkenny Leitrim Limerick Tipperary Waterford in the six counties[/color][/font][/color]
Smythe, Andrew-Townland: Maze Year: 1834-Blaris-Antrim[/font][/color]
Smythe, Andrew-Townland: Maze Year: 1834-Blaris-Down & Antrim[/font][/color]
Smythe, James-Townland: Ballypitmare Year: 1834-Glenavy-Antrim[/font][/color]
Smythe, Samuel-Townland: Maze Year: 1834-Blaris-Antrim[/font][/color]
Smythe, Samuel-Townland: Maze Year: 1834-Blaris-Down & Antrim[/font][/color]
Smythe, Thomas-Tl: Knocknaroy Yr : 1825-Aghaloo-Tyrone[/font][/color]
Smythe, Thomas-Tl: Knocknaroy Yr : 1837-Aghaloo-Tyrone[/font][/color]
Smythe, Thomas-Townland: Cambane Year: 1834-Blaris-Antrim[/font][/color]
Smythe, Thomas-Townland: Cambane Year: 1834-Blaris-Down & Antrim[/font][/color]
Smythe, Wm.-Townland: Druminduff Year: 1833-Ballinderry -Antrim[/font][/color]
 [/color][/font][/color]
Switching to McCann there are 461 spread over most of the 26 counties[/font][/color]
Switching to McCann there are 972 spread over most of the 6 counties[/font][/color]
far too many for me to sort and index for you. Again a spelling variation possible eg mcCane if you thought it worth it, I have made a name index for the six counties which I could send extract and post by email direct. its based on the work of the irish genealogy hub who have done it by parish.. If only more details in the Liverpool passenger list existed. Without that it might a church record exists, other Belfast members are better at this than me. [/font][/color]
 [/font][/color]
genes reunited see https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/you need to join to have permission to view the trees[/font][/color]
John    McCann          1807   Ireland ...        No       Sue      Find out more[/font][/color]
John    McCann          1805   ...          No       Ian      Find out more[/font][/color]
John    McCann          1805   Lurgan Co. Armagh Ir...         No       lorraine2393Find out more[/font][/color]
John    McCann          1805   Ireland ...        No       Lisa     Find out more[/font][/color]
John    McCann          1804   Meath, Meath Co, Ire...          No       Andrea           Find out more[/font][/color]
John    McCann          1804   Meath, Ireland ...        No       David  Find out more[/font][/color]
John    McCann          1803   Sligo Ireland ...           No       Alison  Find out more[/font][/color]
John    McCann          1802   Kircubbin Down Irela...         No       swanman5     Find out more[/font][/color]
John    McCann          1802   Kircubbin Down Irela...         No       Lawrence[/font][/color]
 [/font][/color]
Catherine       Smythe           1800   Ireland ...        No       Simon[/font][/color]
 [/font][/color]
so I regret I cant help more than above,  maybe a church record will be found [/font][/color]

Judy Walker

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 11:58:08 AM »
Thank you very much for your reply.  I am hoping someday for a break through in my search so am trying every avenue I can think of.  I appreciate your help.

BigCol

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 01:15:02 PM »
I have a pic of the ships manifest showing they sailed on the ship Girard in 1837

You prob have that info but drop me an email at datacol at me dot  com

https://www.libertyellisfoundation.org/passenger-details/czoxMzoiOTAxMjM3MzIwODYyMSI7/czo4OiJtYW5pZmVzdCI7