Author Topic: Duncairn Gardens  (Read 2097 times)

Yvonne Evans

Duncairn Gardens
« on: April 17, 2018, 10:02:42 AM »
Hi. I used to live in 121 Duncairn Gardens my dad was in charge of the lamp lighters. I went to St Barnabas Church cannon the choir and attended the GFS. Maiden name was Black. Anyone else remember??? Mum also worked for Jimmy McKeown running the Daintee home bakery in the gardens too, and us two girls worked in the shop after school.

Willty

Re: Duncairn Gardens
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 10:43:47 AM »
Yvonne,although I didn't live on the gardens I was there nearly everyday.went to the cinema twice a week,bought clothes from the outfitter at Syringa st.the chippie at the "stumps"was good and I always had a look in the pawn shop when passing.
I remember that it was a nice broad road,but now with all the cars parked it seems to have lost the "Gardens"look.

geraldine williamson

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 09:41:31 AM »
Hi. I used to live in 121 Duncairn Gardens my dad was in charge of the lamp lighters. I went to St Barnabas Church cannon the choir and attended the GFS. Maiden name was Black. Anyone else remember??? Mum also worked for Jimmy McKeown running the Daintee home bakery in the gardens too, and us two girls worked in the shop after school.
I lived off Duncairn Gdns in the 40's with my family.  We had a lamp-post just outside our door (16 Trainfield St) and I remember (I was around 10/11 years old at the time), the man coming around and climbing his ladder to light the lamp every evening...such lovely memories.  Thought about about him when I recently viewed a BBC commentary programme about "Old Lamplighters"...there is even a song about them too called "The Old lamplighter of long long ago" lovely lyrics and music too. I even remember all the lyrics of this song! Geraldine in UK. :)

derdrei

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 02:54:49 AM »
I lived off Duncairn Gdns in the 40's with my family.  We had a lamp-post just outside our door (16 Trainfield St) and I remember (I was around 10/11 years old at the time), the man coming around and climbing his ladder to light the lamp every evening...such lovely memories.  Thought about about him when I recently viewed a BBC commentary programme about "Old Lamplighters"...there is even a song about them too called "The Old lamplighter of long long ago" lovely lyrics and music too. I even remember all the lyrics of this song! Geraldine in UK. :)
hi geraldine where about in UK, I spent a few years in LIVERPOOL before coming to OZ.

margaret gibson

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 02:07:50 AM »
hi Yvonne, I used to chum around with a girl from duncairn gardens, liz kerr but kerr would have been her maiden name,me and my other friend would meet at her house Friday and sat nights to get ready for our night out the pub and then the dance hall late 60s anyone know her? thanks Margaret.

tommytwotoes

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 12:10:35 AM »

Yvonne heres one of the old lamp lighters in the Duncairn area ya never know it cud be a rellie of urs lol
regards tommy

i never drop players ,i only make changes (shanks) justice for the 96

derdrei

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 12:39:27 AM »
Yvonne heres one of the old lamp lighters in the Duncairn area ya never know it cud be a rellie of urs lol
regards tommy
love to see this Tommy,are they air raid shelters in the street.

barney bhouy

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2018, 10:45:31 AM »
looks like stratheden st could be wrong though

Yvonne Evans

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2018, 07:18:27 PM »
That's a lovely photo of the lamp lighter thank you very much

dendar

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2018, 11:55:28 PM »
Hi Evonne my sister nora and my cousin virginia were members of the gfs. I think my sister sang in the barneys chior
My cousin was from glenrosa st
Cheers
Dendar

Yvonne Evans

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2018, 10:48:02 AM »
Hi, I sang in St Barnabas choir too. But names after all this time escape me, sadly. Boo hoo. We left Duncairn Gardens when I was about fourteen I think, but thoroughly enjoyed my time in the GFS and choir. We moved to Strandmillis, then on to Cregagh Road. Remember some good times. In the GFS I remember Naomi McKinley and Hillary McCandless.

belle

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2018, 07:22:47 PM »
I loved in Adam Street off the Duncairn Gardens.
Love like you've never been hurt,
Dance like no one's watching,
Sing like no one can hear you.

Bigali

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2018, 08:53:32 PM »
I loved in Adam Street off the Duncairn Gardens.

Tell us who it was you loved Belle  ;)
Tout Prest

belle

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2018, 05:00:33 PM »
Tell us who it was you loved Belle  ;)

::)  ack love it's me age.... :D :-*
Love like you've never been hurt,
Dance like no one's watching,
Sing like no one can hear you.

eric

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2018, 05:20:08 PM »
Lamplighters, looks like Copperfield street?