Author Topic: Looking for photos of the Botanic Bungalows  (Read 633 times)

Bill Sloan

Looking for photos of the Botanic Bungalows
« on: April 19, 2018, 03:43:10 PM »
Hello - my family (the Sloans) lived at 58 Botanic Bungalows from around 1953 to 1958, after which my family emigrated to Canada.  I would love to see a photo of the area in Belfast where I was born in 1956.  I would be also be interested in hearing a bit of the history of the Bungalows if anyone knows it.  My understanding is that the Bungalows were prefab post war houses and that they were later demolished and the area redeveloped.  Can anyone tell me when the neighborhood torn down? And can anyone describe the streets that bounded the neighborhood? My thanks.

bjay

Re: Looking for photos of the Botanic Bungalows
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 06:07:47 PM »
Hi Bill, the Botanic Bungalows started to be cleared in the late 1960's. As a family were rehoused  by the Belfast Corporation the vacated bungalow was demolished in a phased process.  The bungalows had all gone by 1971 when an exhibition called Ulster '71 was held in the area. The site is now owned by Queens University and a large part is now their car park for the PEC. Belfast Corporation swapped the back  part of Botanic Gardens to Queens in exchange for Cherryvale. There is a thread on the forum with relevant information relating to the bungalows and some residents.

Bill Sloan

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 10:14:26 PM »
Hello bjay - thanks for the reply and for the information.  My family was gone from the Bungalows by early 1958, as the family emigrated to Canada in March of that year - so well before they started to tear them down. I am not sure how long the family lived in the neighborhood, but one of my brothers was born there in 1953. I was only a toddler when the family left Belfast, so I have no memory of the area.  I have an older brother who would have been ten when the family left for Canada, so I am sure he would have some recollection of it. I was aware of the Botanic Bungalows thread.  I posted on the Old Belfast Photos Forum as I was hoping to get hold of a photo of the neighborhood. It would have been interesting to see what the neighborhood where i was born looked like. There was a link to a photo on the Botanic Bungalows thread, but the link doesn't work any longer (the post was years ago).  Can you tell me if there if a "maps" thread where I might be able to contact someone who has a historic street map that might show the neighborhood? I was in Belfast last year and wandered about the Botanic Gardens and area.  I wonder if I inadvertently walked over the old homestead?!

The Murph

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 03:40:43 AM »
Hello bjay - thanks for the reply and for the information.  My family was gone from the Bungalows by early 1958, as the family emigrated to Canada in March of that year - so well before they started to tear them down. I am not sure how long the family lived in the neighborhood, but one of my brothers was born there in 1953. I was only a toddler when the family left Belfast, so I have no memory of the area.  I have an older brother who would have been ten when the family left for Canada, so I am sure he would have some recollection of it. I was aware of the Botanic Bungalows thread.  I posted on the Old Belfast Photos Forum as I was hoping to get hold of a photo of the neighborhood. It would have been interesting to see what the neighborhood where i was born looked like. There was a link to a photo on the Botanic Bungalows thread, but the link doesn't work any longer (the post was years ago).  Can you tell me if there if a "maps" thread where I might be able to contact someone who has a historic street map that might show the neighborhood? I was in Belfast last year and wandered about the Botanic Gardens and area.  I wonder if I inadvertently walked over the old homestead?!

Hello Bill, have a look at this address
https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/services/search-proni-historical-maps-viewer
Click on the green panel thats a little way down the page and you will be directed to a page that has maps available. On the top is a "layer" looking symbol, click there and you will be able to see maps from about 1900 to present day. Hope this helps.
The Murph (Joe)
Blessed are the cracked, they will let in the light.

Bill Sloan

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 01:54:05 PM »
Hello Joe - thanks for pointing me to these maps. I was able to find one historic map that showed the Botanic Bungalows - or at least the street layout that the houses would have been laid out around.  The houses must have been mostly knocked down by this version of the map, but this helps enormously to better understand exactly where in Belfast I was born. I am still hoping that I will be able to find a lead to a photo of the Bungalows themselves.  The map indicates there was a primary school very close to the Bungalows.  I imagine my older brothers would have attended that school if it existed in the 1950s. Doesn't give a school name unfortunately.  My thanks again.  Cheers.

bjay

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 05:59:11 PM »
Bill,  the school is Botanic PE school and would have been open in the 1950's so it is probable your brother went there . Behind the school is the QUB PEC carpark where the bungalows were mainly located. There was also a single terrace of bungalows facing the embankment and looking out over the river.

Bill Sloan

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2018, 06:45:38 PM »
Hello bjay - Thank you for the information about the name of the school. Next time I am back in Belfast I'll have to take a photo and sent it to my brothers.  Perhaps the older school records are available.  I can see one building on the map I found that does face the embankment.  That is likely the one you were talking about.  Otherwise, the original layout of the bungalows is a little sketchy from the map; likely some of the houses had been removed by the time of the map printing.  From a 1951 Belfast Street Directory transcript it appears that there were 72 families living in the Botanic Bungalows at that time.  My family was not there in 1951, but was by 1953, when one of my brothers was born there. The family was gone by 1958. Thanks again for the reply.  Cheers.