Author Topic: Protestant church leaders urge Pope to visit Northern Ireland  (Read 463 times)

James James

"4th May 2018"
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-44007643

"Protestant church leaders urge Pope to visit NI"

Quote,...

The leaders of the Protestant churches in Ireland have written to Pope Francis telling him he would help peace if he visited Northern Ireland.

Pope Francis is due to visit Dublin for the world meeting of families in August.

There are currently no plans for the pontiff to cross the border.

However, in a letter to the Pope the four church leaders said he could promote "peace and reconciliation" by coming to Northern Ireland.

The letter was sent in December 2017 and has been obtained by the Irish Catholic newspaper.

It was signed by the Church of Ireland Primate, Archbishop Richard Clarke; the Presbyterian Moderator, Dr Noble McNeely; the Methodist President, Dr Lawrence Graham and the President of the Irish Council of Churches, Bishop John McDowell.

"We know that members of the Catholic church, both north and south of the border, will be greatly encouraged if these visits were to come about," they wrote.

'Peace and reconciliation'

"The potential that a visit to Northern Ireland could have in promoting the cause of peace and reconciliation throughout this island cannot be underestimated."

My note,... I think they really meant to say "overestimated" there.  ::)

In a statement to BBC News NI, Archbishop Richard Clarke said:...

"While a visit to Northern Ireland is clearly a matter for the Pope himself to decide upon, I am happy to reiterate that I would welcome it - both as an encouragement to members of the Catholic Church and for its potential in promoting peace and reconciliation throughout the island of Ireland."

However, there has been some opposition to the church leaders' move.

Wallace Thompson from the Evangelical Protestant Society said that there were deep doctrinal differences between the Protestant churches and the Roman Catholic church.

"I'm all for reconciliation within our community," he said.

"But I'm not really sure why they're so keen to bring him up to Northern Ireland other than to forward their own ecumenical agenda."

"Within their own churches I know, from my own experience, that there are many evangelicals who would share my views.

"So they're not speaking for all of their own congregations."

Massive crowds

The last pope to visit the Republic of Ireland was Pope John Paul II. He drew crowds of over 2.5m at a number of locations - more than half the state's population - in 1979.

White dee

Re: Protestant church leaders urge Pope to visit Northern Ireland
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 02:01:14 PM »
"4th May 2018"
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-44007643

"Protestant church leaders urge Pope to visit NI"

Quote,...

The leaders of the Protestant churches in Ireland have written to Pope Francis telling him he would help peace if he visited Northern Ireland.

Pope Francis is due to visit Dublin for the world meeting of families in August.

There are currently no plans for the pontiff to cross the border.

However, in a letter to the Pope the four church leaders said he could promote "peace and reconciliation" by coming to Northern Ireland.

The letter was sent in December 2017 and has been obtained by the Irish Catholic newspaper.

It was signed by the Church of Ireland Primate, Archbishop Richard Clarke; the Presbyterian Moderator, Dr Noble McNeely; the Methodist President, Dr Lawrence Graham and the President of the Irish Council of Churches, Bishop John McDowell.

"We know that members of the Catholic church, both north and south of the border, will be greatly encouraged if these visits were to come about," they wrote.

'Peace and reconciliation'

"The potential that a visit to Northern Ireland could have in promoting the cause of peace and reconciliation throughout this island cannot be underestimated."

My note,... I think they really meant to say "overestimated" there.  ::)

In a statement to BBC News NI, Archbishop Richard Clarke said:...

"While a visit to Northern Ireland is clearly a matter for the Pope himself to decide upon, I am happy to reiterate that I would welcome it - both as an encouragement to members of the Catholic Church and for its potential in promoting peace and reconciliation throughout the island of Ireland."

However, there has been some opposition to the church leaders' move.

Wallace Thompson from the Evangelical Protestant Society said that there were deep doctrinal differences between the Protestant churches and the Roman Catholic church.

"I'm all for reconciliation within our community," he said.

"But I'm not really sure why they're so keen to bring him up to Northern Ireland other than to forward their own ecumenical agenda."

"Within their own churches I know, from my own experience, that there are many evangelicals who would share my views.

"So they're not speaking for all of their own congregations."

Massive crowds

The last pope to visit the Republic of Ireland was Pope John Paul II. He drew crowds of over 2.5m at a number of locations - more than half the state's population - in 1979.

Good for those Church leaders,and I totally agree with them,I've always said,there's good in all sectors of Ireland.North and South,

I'd like to help you out,which way did you come in.

stiofan

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 02:17:42 PM »

Not a good move by the CofI and the other churches.

As a Head of State, the Pope can't just nip across the border when he feels like it. I'm sure that neither the Queen nor her government would have any objection to his going North, but the all the protocol and diplomatic rigmarole involved would mean that there would have to be a substantial agenda and reason for going there.

Faced with that reality, both the Pope and the British Government would probably prefer that he stays down South. Doubtless, however, the "no Pope here" mob would then claim that as a major victory.

belle

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 05:08:39 PM »

As a Head of State, the Pope can't just nip across the border when he feels like it. I'm sure that neither the Queen nor her government would have any objection to his going North, but the all the protocol and diplomatic rigmarole involved would mean that there would have to be a substantial agenda and reason for going there.

Faced with that reality, both the Pope and the British Government would probably prefer that he stays down South. Doubtless, however, the "no Pope here" mob would then claim that as a major victory.
O0
Love like you've never been hurt,
Dance like no one's watching,
Sing like no one can hear you.

derdrei

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 09:53:56 AM »

putting it like that best not to.

jillyfred

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 11:31:31 AM »

The Pope made his decision to make a State visit to the Free State.
If he had wished to make one to the UK I have no doubt he would have been facilitated.
No right thinking person would have any objections to him visiting Northern Ireland if
this had been his wish.
I wish all those who travel down to see him have a really enjoyable time.
God Bless.

Dot/dash

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 12:33:10 PM »
perhaps best     . . . .     leave well alone     . . . .     :)
love me       love my gelding    

derdrei

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 01:06:13 PM »
perhaps best     . . . .     leave well alone     . . . .     :)
I would say  yes let it be. :)

jillyfred

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 01:17:16 PM »

Yes-but lets put it on record that the majority of those of us living in Northern Ireland have no problem
with him visiting his people here.
I think that`s very important.

belle

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 06:52:54 PM »
Yes-but lets put it on record that the majority of those of us living in Northern Ireland have no problem
with him visiting his people here.
I think that`s very important.

Do you know, i agree with you. It's the head cases you need to look out for.
Love like you've never been hurt,
Dance like no one's watching,
Sing like no one can hear you.

ExBuckfastdrinker

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2018, 01:13:00 AM »
The amount of Christians in the U.K and Ireland are dwindling so i believe they are sincere.