Author Topic: Milltown Cemetery Grave Look-up - James and Eliza Slane  (Read 289 times)

ClareKane95

Milltown Cemetery Grave Look-up - James and Eliza Slane
« on: May 09, 2018, 11:26:40 AM »
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had access to Milltown grave records or inscriptions? I know that some inscriptions are available for members of the Ulster Historical Society (of which sadly I am not a member). Would anyone be able to search for the graves of my great-great grandparents?

James Slane (died 30 April 1905) and his wife Eliza (died 23 April 1915). They lived at 7 Crocus Street.

Here is a picture of them  :)

Also the death notice for James Slane in a newspaper confirming he is buried at Milltown.

I would really appreciate your help. Or even if anyone knew whether Milltown have an email address?

Thanks!
Memory... is the diary that we all carry about with us. ~ Oscar Wilde

teap

Re: Milltown Cemetery Grave Look-up - James and Eliza Slane
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 12:18:42 PM »
Hi Clare, You can ring Milltown and give them the name and date of death and they will give you the plot number, they can also tell you how many are in the grave with the person you name, but they won't tell you who the others are you've to pay 20 pounds for that privilege, and they will print out all in the grave plus date of death address and age ..

Colette

JimG

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 10:10:13 PM »
very useful with photograph start
I tried http://www.belfastcemeterysearch.com/milltown/mgs/section-4.htmlwithoutsuccess

1901 Census

then not connectingtried1901 census
29.1 in Institution Place (Smithfield, Antrim)
SlaneJames            53       Male  Head of Family      Roman Catholic    Belfast          Coach Builder        Read and write     English            Married        -
SlaneMary  40       Female         Wife   Roman Catholic    Co Armagh, PortadownHouse Keeper        Read and write     English            Married        -
children
SlaneHenry           22       Male  Son     Roman Catholic    Belfast          Machine Fitter      Read and write     English         Not Married        -
SlanePeter20       Male  Son     Roman Catholic    Co Armagh  General Labourer            Read and write     English         Not Married        -

Smyth           Margeret     35       Female         Sister in Law          Roman Catholic    Belfast          Drawer in Preparing Room            Read and write    English         Not Married          -
I tried http://www.belfastcemeterysearch.com/milltown/mgs/section-4.html
7 in Crocus Street(Falls Ward, Antrim)
SlaneJames           48       Male  Head of Family    Roman Catholic   Co ArmaghTailor           Read and write    -          Married            -
SlaneEliza  46       Female         Wife  Roman Catholic   Co Armagh-          Read and write    -          Married       -
children
SlanePatrick          24       Male  Son     Roman Catholic    Co Armagh  Machanic     Read and write     -          Not Married           -
SlaneMaggie          22       Female         Daughter     Roman Catholic    Co Armagh  Spinner Millworker         Read and write     -            Not Married           -
SlaneAgnes            20       Female         Daughter     Roman Catholic    Co Down      Spinner Millworker         Read and write     -            Not Married           -
SlaneBernard       17       Male  Son     Roman Catholic    Co Antrim   General Labourer MillworkerRead and write     -          Not Married        -
SlaneMary  15       Female         Daughter     Roman Catholic    Belfast          Learning Linen Weaving Millworker           Read and write-          Not Married           -
SlaneJosephine    13       Female         Daughter     Roman Catholic
            Belfast          Scholar         Read and write     -          Not Married           -
SlanePeter11       Male  Son     Roman Catholic    Belfast          Scholar         Read and write     -          Not Married           -
SlaneFrancis         9         Male  Son     Roman Catholic    Belfast          Scholar         Read and write     -          Not Married           -

I tried http://www.belfastcemeterysearch.com/milltown/mgs/section-4.htmlwithout satisfaction so hope you phoned

back in Griffiths Valuation see http://www.failteromhat.com/post1845.php
Slane            Mary             Cavanakill                                               Ballymyre                   
Slane            Catherine   Knockavannon                                      Ballymyre                   
Slane            Sarah           Charlemont                                            Loughgall                     
Slane            Peter            Newton Hamilton. Armagh St         Newtownhamilton   
Slane            Peter            Newton Hamilton. Newry St           Newtownhamilton   
Slane            John              Tullyvallan                                             Newtownhamilton   
Slane            John              Newton HamiltonDundalk Street  Newtownhamilton   

from  1918  John Slane   death Co      Armagh  missing

births
see https://www.emeraldancestors.com/
1871Mary SLANE           F         Emmerald   Emmerald   Emmerald   Armag
1871Bridget SLANE      F         Emmerald               Armagh
1872Anne SLANE          F         Emmerald               Armagh
1872Anna Maria SLANE          Emmerald               Armagh
1874Catherine SLANEF         Emmerald               Armagh

marriages
1874Catherine SLANEF         Emmerald   Emmerald   Emmerald   Armagh
1881Peter Emmerald  Elizabeth  SLANECastleblayney        Armagh
1884James EmmeraldBridget  SLANE     Newry          Armagh       
1891Peter  SLANE          Mary Anne  Emmerald   Castleblayney        Armagh
1897Matthew SLANE  Catherine  SLANE            Castleblayney        Armagh       
1898Matthew SLANE  Sarah  EmmeraldCastleblayney        Armagh
1898Joseph SLANE       Sarah  EmmeraldCastleblayney        Armagh
1900Michael SLANE    Ellen  Emmerald  Castleblayney        Armagh
1904James EmmeraldAnnie  SLANE        Newry          Armagh       
1906Michael SLANE    Mary Anne  Emmerald   Castleblayney        Armagh1922Peter  Emmerald  Mary Elizabeth  SLANE  Armagh        Armagh[/size]

ClareKane95

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 04:47:38 PM »
Hi Clare, You can ring Milltown and give them the name and date of death and they will give you the plot number, they can also tell you how many are in the grave with the person you name, but they won't tell you who the others are you've to pay 20 pounds for that privilege, and they will print out all in the grave plus date of death address and age ..

Colette

Thank you Colette! I'll have to ring them then! Do you know what time Milltown's office is open?

ClareKane95

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 04:52:39 PM »
Thanks Jim, but I had already tried Belfast cemetery search but I think as they are older graves they haven't' been recorded yet.

I also know their location during the 1901 and 1911 census as well as their birth/death details etc. (I have been researching the family tree for a while so have managed to gather quite a lot of information). I just wanted to find where they are actually buried.

Thanks anyway!

All the best.

teap

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 08:26:42 PM »
Thank you Colette! I'll have to ring them then! Do you know what time Milltown's office is open?

Hi Clare Milltown is open Monday to Friday 8.30am to 4pm and Saturday 9am to 12.

028 90613972  this is the phone number.

Where abouts are you? if you cant get to Milltown and do get the plot number I will go look see if there' a headstine etc and take some pics for you

Colette

ClareKane95

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 02:28:18 PM »
Hi Clare Milltown is open Monday to Friday 8.30am to 4pm and Saturday 9am to 12.

028 90613972  this is the phone number.

Where abouts are you? if you cant get to Milltown and do get the plot number I will go look see if there' a headstine etc and take some pics for you

Colette

Thank you Colette! I rang up today and got the location (MB83, Section B). I'm based just outside of Belfast but I visit Milltown regularly for my granny's grave so I should be able to locate it myself. Thank you for offering though! :)

teap

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2018, 06:02:34 PM »
Thank you Colette! I rang up today and got the location (MB83, Section B). I'm based just outside of Belfast but I visit Milltown regularly for my granny's grave so I should be able to locate it myself. Thank you for offering though! :)

Brilliant news fingers crossed there's a headstone. Did they tell you if there were any others in the grave?

Colette

ClareKane95

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2018, 08:04:26 PM »
Hi Colette,

I went to Milltown today and found it! There wasn't a headstone as such but there was a marker that said Slane.

It was actually right in front of the grave of the Mcmahon family that were murdered during the War of Independence!

They didn't say if there was anyone else buried with him but I might ring up again tomorrow and ask :)