Author Topic: 50s childhood  (Read 2305 times)

derdrei

Re: 50s childhood
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2018, 01:47:14 AM »
at one time I had to be taken to hospital while waiting on my freind outside her place I started to stand on the railings and fell. one foot stuck up there ,they had to get an  ambulance to get my twisted foot out. :o

misssmyth1

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2018, 09:45:36 AM »
I know how you felt dedrei i had my arm up to the elbow    trapped in a railing trying to retrieve something that had fallen in mum came with margarine slathered my arm in it bit of twisting turning    and got me out but took ages and i had a sore arm and got a big telling off never did it again/  can laugh about it now .we were  all always getting in to some sorta trouble but all innocent .

dadojohn

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2018, 01:51:46 PM »
the hatchet field, gullies, cliffs, guiders anything or anywhere that you could get hurt we played

derdrei

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2018, 01:39:07 AM »
i think all of that fresh air and being very active stood us all in good stead and lots of pals to play with no one was lonely or molly coddled  I was always falling off something ,, bike ,a wall etc but got up and got on with it .   lots of kids all doing the same things laughing a lot too .Did anyone have a GUIDER ?   my dad helped me build one two big wheels at the front and two ball bearings at the back and  the string to 'guide it'  a big wooden box was the 'carriage'   I loved mine . my mother said she used to despair thinking id never be a girlie girl but I became that a bit later when I started secondary school ...we all had fun and it was usually harmless in most cases .playing marbles and skipping  and taking a neighbours dog to Barnets Park for the day .
the Guider I loved. my dad made mine to they were great times.

derdrei

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2018, 08:52:45 AM »
I know how you felt dedrei i had my arm up to the elbow    trapped in a railing trying to retrieve something that had fallen in mum came with margarine slathered my arm in it bit of twisting turning    and got me out but took ages and i had a sore arm and got a big telling off never did it again/  can laugh about it now .we were  all always getting in to some sorta trouble but all innocent .
yes I know what you mean, had to keep it in plaster for six weeks.

derdrei

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2018, 09:01:12 AM »
the hatchet field, gullies, cliffs, guiders anything or anywhere that you could get hurt we played
do you remember you could see from town the hatchet field.Ican see it now in my mind. :(

dadojohn

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2018, 10:44:19 AM »
big trees still there where you made the swings with rope tied to the branches

deerpark67

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2018, 12:22:51 PM »
I don't think I ever had a guider but I remember setting a Lion or Victor annual on a single roller skate, sitting on it, and heading down Alliance Crescent at a fair speed in the middle of the road.  Gutties made good brakes.   :)

derdrei

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2018, 01:30:30 AM »
I don't think I ever had a guider but I remember setting a Lion or Victor annual on a single roller skate, sitting on it, and heading down Alliance Crescent at a fair speed in the middle of the road.  Gutties made good brakes.   :)
they were great fun , yes many times you had to bash into anythink that would help you to stop. :D .

boxer1949

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2018, 09:17:27 PM »

derdrei

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2018, 02:08:24 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqiMDYV87Zw
thank you boxer all the old memories .forgot about the old hop scotch and scrubbing the ole front step.

harrison

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2018, 03:00:28 AM »
We would climb. the black mountain to the .Old .Quarry cave and go across to the hatchet field above where Dermot hill is now it was great.

river rats

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2018, 03:47:47 PM »
My biggest adventure was a day at the Waterworks when you had to have a key to get in to the ponds.  I was amazed to see men racing full scale models of sailing yachts.  It was all very genteel. ;)
My father hated the place the fact that you had to have a key to get in it was only for the middle class in the old days. My father and his mate tried to climb in and his mate was impaled on a spike. but no matter he was only a working class lad from the Shankill. I hope he did not yell too loud to upset the genteel folk.
We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars

derdrei

« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2018, 04:22:10 AM »
it would be great to go back to happy times. :-*

VLA

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2018, 07:02:10 PM »
I remember playing in a place called "the glen" at the back of Glendale Park.  On summer days we used to get a flat cardboard box, climb to the top of what was a large hill (all grass), jump on, slide down really fast, often going over the edge into the river.  My Mum used to go mad at the state we got into.  We also used to throw stones into the tall nettles to see the rats jump out.  It's wonder none of us ever got bitten.  There was a garage at the top of this hill at the time.
Happy days.
VLA