Author Topic: Porters School  (Read 1307 times)

MaggieP

Porters School
« on: May 25, 2018, 10:17:49 AM »
Does anyone have a photograph of the old school that I can download?  I discovered recently that my Mum went there and it would be good to have a picture to add to the family tree book I have been doing.

Sammy Hawthorne

Re: Porters School
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 11:25:40 AM »
I went to Porters School in 1949-50, after 4 years at McQuiston Primary across Donegal Pass.

Never came across a photograph though. In them there days photies were rare.

Remember the crane and steel ball clearing the waste ground between Donegal Pass and Porters. All the workers had Bloody hands from handling the bricks and mortared stones.

Belfast was full of waste grounds after the war. It was at least 1950-53/4 before they were all cleared and built on. Some were still used as Used Car Sales premises.

eastbelfastbabe

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 08:18:29 PM »
There is a thread on the Belfast Forum of the Donegall Pass with some photos of Porter's Primary School.

MaggieP

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 12:00:24 PM »
Thanks ebb, but I have trawled through them and lots on Donegall Pass Memories, but can't find a picture of the actual building only groups of children.  Expect I passed it many a time as a kid when we were over on holiday, but i don't remember Mum saying that was the school she went to.  I do at least remember her saying they were married at St. Mary Magdalene in the Pass and took some photos of that when I was over.

Sammy Hawthorne

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 02:58:59 PM »
Can't find the thread you mention. Perhaps the needle got lost in the Co Down haystacks?

My father went to the BB in St. Mary Magdalene, around 1920, as he was as born 1906. Was it 1st Belfast Co.?

Where were you visiting from? I live in Paris France.

MaggieP

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 04:54:16 PM »
Bonjour Sammy,
I live in the New Forest, Hampshire, so only a short hop over to France which we love.  Mum was born in 1923, so would have been around too late for your Dad and too early for you.  She met my Dad during the war when his ship was in Belfast, then came over here when they married but we went back to see my Gran in Vernon Street every summer and sometimes Christmas as well and I have very happy memories of the times spent there.  Unfortunately Mum died of cancer when I was 22 which is why I know so little about her younger days, wasn't interested as a teenager, now there are so many things I wish I had asked.
The Donegall Pass Memories site is on Facebook, not that I am, but I found it by accident and discovered I could download a lot of pictures from it.

Sammy Hawthorne

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 05:25:03 PM »
Hi Margaret P,
I had a lovely Aunt Maggie, but that short name for Margaret seems to have gone out of fashion. I still like the name!

I lived in Spruce St. Just off Vernon St. We played there a lot.

My Greek Lady is on Facebook, but not me ( hate it ). So I will look up Donegal Pass memories. Thank you.

I spent a lot of time in the New Forest from HMS Collingwood ( Gosport/Fareham ), in the 1957/8 years and later, and should have married a young girl from Fareham when we met at the local Baptist Church. She was younger by a few years than my girlfriend and I, ( at 17 years, one at 13/14 seems very young ) but her Mum & Dad were very welcoming to us young sailors.

Met her some years later when she had married one of us Navy Apprentices of her own age. What a wee cracker she turned out to be. I was Gob Smacked the night we met again. Her husband was then on board ship, and we (I) didn't like to make my play. Just told her she was lovely???

That's all, the noo Maggie P

Sammy Hawthorne

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2018, 05:59:48 PM »
Hi Maggie P,

Just found another post from about 120 days ago, from a Mc Cune ?, but can't connect us with it.

I googled ' Donegal Pass Memories ' and found a 4 minute video you might like to view. Think there is a view of Vernon St. with the posh porches.

Keep em coming M P.

MaggieP

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2018, 07:18:54 PM »
Will send you a PM in the next few days with some memories and other links.
Maggie

eastbelfastbabe

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2018, 10:25:14 PM »
If you google Porters School Donegall Pass Site.
Scroll down to Donegall Pass - Belfast Forum
 then go to page 7 you will see photos of Porter's school and McQuiston's school.

hudson

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2019, 01:20:14 AM »
unfortunately Porter's school has recently been knocked down.

vinnym

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2019, 12:54:48 PM »
unfortunately Porter's school has recently been knocked down.

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/6196442

Confirmation of the demolition.

vinnym

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2019, 02:26:51 PM »