Author Topic: Hamill/McStravicks/Monagh rd Turf lodge/ 1940s-1966 john st/  (Read 395 times)

Colleenhamill

Im looking for any info. Stories pics of my family or the area

My Grandparents and mum last address monagh rd turf lodge
 Patrick Hamill floor layer
 Vera (veronica trainor)Hamill
 Kids george,patrick,mary,veronica,siobhan, sinead,dierdre. Left 1966 for western Australia

George hamill patrick  bro at dif address or passed poss
 Annie hamill married a McStravick
 Jean hamill married William Otoole
 A few more sisters as well I think
 Their parents
 John and maryann hamill nee johnston

Paula mc

Re: Hamill/McStravicks/Monagh rd Turf lodge/ 1940s-1966 john st/
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 11:26:22 AM »
Hi Colleen do you now at number they lived at

Colleenhamill

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 11:54:15 PM »
Hi paula
I believe it was 121 monagh st or possibly have been 21.
This was in the late 60s.
Im also trying to find where ny pop. Patrick hamill lived with his father and sibligs lived before he married my nan veronica trainor who lived at john st her mother emily and father patrick worked in new york when he passed

Paula mc

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 12:51:34 AM »
Hi Colleen I know the house your talking about it is 121 Monagh road turf lodge in a small cul-de-sac that leads to holy trinity primary school I lived  at 51 Monagh road and went to the primary school I still live in turf lodge I do ancestry if you want give me a few days and I'll see what I can get for you. Regards
Paula

Paula mc

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2018, 11:08:30 AM »
Hi Colleen first of all if you type into google turf lodge it brings up a short film called edge of the world their is a man called Hugh creagan talking who would have known your grandparents, he still lives their I know him well I hope to go see him and ask does he remember them,also type in 121 Monagh road it will show you the house,after your grandparents left Mrs Madeleine Murray moved in and I went to school with her daughter bernadette, now the family who live there are called Morrison and their daughter Maria is my daughters friend.

Here is some information I got for you,
Patrick hamill son of John hamill @ Maryann Johnston num 9 Balkan street 
Maryann is the daughter of Joseph Johnson same address.

John hamill married Maryann Johnston 16th Aug 1911 St. Peter's,

Veronica trainor  daughter of Patrick trainor @ Emily Cochran 21 John street
Head of house Patrick trainor from 1918 to 1932 then Patrick must have died because Emily becomes head of house until 1959, then 1960 it is a woman called miss Emma stitt.

Here is some information on Emily family
1901 census living @ 7.2 institution place head of house John Cochran age 40 widowed 

Daughter Kate age 17 spinner,
Daughter Emily age 15 mill layer,
Son William John age 13 scholar,
Son Andrew age 5 scholar,

1911 census living @ 8 institution place head of house John Cochran age 51 widowed
Dock labour

Daughter Emily trainor age 23
Son-in-law patrick trainor age 22
Daughter Maryann age 16
Son Andrew age 14

Colleen when you are reading this if you think somethings don't add up like ages and names on one census and not on another you only filled in the information for that day so if someone was out their name may not have been added.

Hope this is of some help to you and your family
Paula

Colleenhamill

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2018, 05:29:21 PM »
Wow thank you so much Paul's.  Some of this info I have but some I did not. But it all adds up and confirms some questions I had regarding info I had gathered. In ref to Patrick Trainor I found eventually that he travelled to America new York for work in1929 and died there around 1946 I think. I'm not sure if they were still together but I imagine he sent money home.thank you again I will use what you have given to look into further.
One thing I'm finding a struggle is I have recently found my pop had a brother. I never knew of hI'm.  The problem being he died somewhere in his late 20s early 30s I don't have a dob but I'm assuming there was not a large age difference from my pop 1926. And I've been told they called him Jordy but I can't even find a sniff of info