Author Topic: Corky  (Read 394 times)

Jean Harford

Corky
« on: June 07, 2018, 08:23:32 PM »
Corky was a woman who walked around the streets in the area of the Crumlin Road.  As children, we were scared of her as she cursed and swore, swinging her handbag to hit anyone who got too near her.
This would have been in the mid fifties and before.

I wonder what her story was? Does anyone remember her?

Convent pupil. 

McCusker

Re: Corky
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 08:27:58 PM »
For a period of time she lived in an apartment block in Gt. Victoria Street
Near where I lived
You are right --nasty --spitting etc
Her real name was Mrs. Lightfoot
"You don't stop laughing when you get old, you get old when you stop laughing!"

Jean Harford

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 09:18:43 PM »
Perhaps she had Tourettes - anyway we thought she had a cork leg which was why she had a limp. Poor old Corky, now long gone gone to her reward!

Convent pupil

Bigali

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 11:59:46 PM »
Interesting story and reminds me of a woman of similar temperament when I was growing up in Ballymoney during the late sixties and early seventies .

Her name was Rachel Barr and she would have attacked anyone who looked sideways at her . She was the original crazy cat lady who lived in a once grand but neglected bungalow and apparently her family were of some standing in the town at one time . I have a memory of coming out of the post office with my Mum who had me by the hand when Rachel attacked another woman and my Mum and two postmen had to intervene and get her away . As a child , to me , she was just a mad old witch but it turns out she drove ambulances on the Western Front during the First World War and this sent her over the edge into near insanity , today it's called PTSD , perhaps Mrs Lightfoot had a similar story.
Tout Prest

belle

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 08:37:54 AM »
aww, how sad is all this. You never know all about people.  :(
Love like you've never been hurt,
Dance like no one's watching,
Sing like no one can hear you.

Dot/dash

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 10:04:35 AM »
this poor lady            was most likely a schizophrenic             how very sad            :(
love me       love my gelding    

barney bhouy

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 10:21:55 AM »
Corky was a woman who walked around the streets in the area of the Crumlin Road.  As children, we were scared of her as she cursed and swore, swinging her handbag to hit anyone who got too near her.
This would have been in the mid fifties and before.

I wonder what her story was? Does anyone remember her?

Convent pupil.
jean there are numerous posts about this lady on the forum if you type the name into the search at the top of the page you will get all the info you want :)