Author Topic: Trinity Church with St Silas and Immanuel  (Read 1070 times)

Joy McVeigh Maze

Re: Trinity Church with St Silas and Immanuel
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2018, 07:02:51 PM »
If I am correct and speaking about the original church, it may have been Trinity C.of.I. somewhere off Clifton Street. I was three years old when I recall attending Trinity around 1939.  It was bombed during the blitz.  I well remember sitting in the Pew with my mother, brother and two sisters and if we became restless, she very quietly withdrew from her handbag. . . the mighty tawse and showed them to us.  We settled down very quickly, lololol

Creaky

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2018, 07:13:15 PM »

Thank you Creaky for those pictures. What a difference 100 years makes. My Father I recall

did mention Cavehill, but I don't know if he lived there or worked there. I know he was born in

Osborne Street 1918 and left Arosa Parade during March 1940 after his Father died in Purdeysburn Hospital. He worked in England for Wimpey (who he was proud of)
His Mother died a few months after the death of her husband (my GF)
GF &GM are in the same grave. GF was a docker,
Before leaving Belfast my Dad worked for
McCue and Dick and I do wish I'd asked him more about his back ground in Belfast when I
had ample opportunity. When I was younger he and I shared an allotment that gave him a
lot of pleasure until he developed severe arthritis in his lower back and legs.

Interesting wee story. I think it is something that a lot of people regret is not finding out about their background when they can. But hindsight is a wonderful thing. I'm quite lucky in that my sister has spent a lot of time researching our family trees and has come across some very interesting stuff.
Love will always  change to sorrow, but everyone must play the game. We're here today and gone tomorrow, but the world goes on the same.

Creaky

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2018, 07:20:45 PM »
If I am correct and speaking about the original church, it may have been Trinity C.of.I. somewhere off Clifton Street. I was three years old when I recall attending Trinity around 1939.  It was bombed during the blitz.  I well remember sitting in the Pew with my mother, brother and two sisters and if we became restless, she very quietly withdrew from her handbag. . . the mighty tawse and showed them to us.  We settled down very quickly, lololol
I do believe that you are correct. The original church was around Clifton St. Good wee point about the tawse. I remember as a child, my mother had a leather strap which she would produce when we played up. The sight of it was enough to stop you in your tracks. To be fair though, I don't remember her ever actually using it.
Love will always  change to sorrow, but everyone must play the game. We're here today and gone tomorrow, but the world goes on the same.

welder

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2018, 07:26:58 PM »

Thank you Joy, I was informed that the Church on Oldpark Road was built in the 50's
so it cannot be the one.

Thank you Creaky for your help. I never started looking for my parents ancestors until both
had passed.Since have found up to great grand parents on both sides. On Father's side I know
my GGF's name was also Francis. Got that fact from Francis JR's marriage certificate.

My family tree is on BF genealogy thread and on wikitree  where I am Irvine-1048

Thank you all for your assistance.
If the fates decree you're going to lose give them a damn good fight...

boxer1949

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2018, 08:00:17 PM »

welder

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2018, 08:32:46 PM »

Thank you boxer, that is more like it. Grateful thanks.

wavey davey

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2018, 09:59:02 PM »
That's right about Trinity Church. My Grandfather and Grand Mother were Married at Trinity July 1912. It took me some time to track it down. Eventually discovered it on an old Belfast map sitting in the streets (left side going up) behind Clifton St. There still exists a Trinity Street in the area.

Wavey

welder

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2018, 07:01:35 AM »

Yes, the Church I was looking for is / was Church of Ireland Trinity Silas and Immanuel, which is

why I posted the photo I did up the page. The internet is extremely helpful tool for betterment,
But if I misunderstand a clue from some bygone day then I can only build on that misunderstanding.(if that makes sense). When I began my family tree I soon had dozens of uncles and cousins simply because the had the same name.I had to prune a great deal of what I thought was my tree. The bit I have left is correct.
I'm glad I went looking otherwise I wouldn't have made the online acquaintance of so many BF posters. These have prove helpful, informative, corrective and often humorous.
THANK YOU :)

parkie

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2018, 02:20:42 PM »
This is Holy Trinity Parish Church. Opened in 1957 and as far as I know replaced the original church at Carlisle Circus. St Marks Church is at the end of the Ballysillan Road at the junction with Crumlin Road (I think). As a child, I attended Holy Trinity. My mother who is almost 92 still attends every Sunday. Some time ago the parishes of St Silas and Immanual were amalgamated into Holy Trinity and it became "Holy Trinity and St Silas with Immanual"
Thanks Creaky for info - if you pass Cliftonville Circus & continued to the top of  the Oldpark road is this  where the Ballysillian Road ? crosses &  the church (pic Welder posted) is on  right side of Oldpark Road?
I never knew this church was called Holy Trinty -St Silas & Immanual  :)

parkie

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2018, 02:22:21 PM »

Thanks for posting this Boxer - its the first time I've seen a pic of this church :)

parkie

« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2018, 02:28:57 PM »
Welder - good job posting the  pic of church  I now know what that church is called thanks to all info from the posters on this thread, & it was great to see a photo of the original Holy Trinity Church that Boxer posted of  where my gparents were married - Your never too old to learn eh! :)

Creaky

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2018, 03:37:48 PM »
Thanks Creaky for info - if you pass Cliftonville Circus & continued to the top of  the Oldpark road is this  where the Ballysillian Road ? crosses &  the church (pic Welder posted) is on  right side of Oldpark Road?
I never knew this church was called Holy Trinty -St Silas & Immanual  :)
Hi Parkie. Yes you're right as regards the position. It was originally just Holy Trinity Parish Church. It was amalgamated with the other two some years ago when they closed due to falling numbers.

welder

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2018, 05:34:45 PM »

I appreciate boxer posting the correct photograph, THANK YOU

derdrei

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2018, 01:58:21 AM »

My great grand Father and Mother, Francis and Rosanna were married at Ballylinney Presbyterian Church.

Related image
it is a Beautiful Church.

boxer1949

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2018, 09:59:28 PM »