Author Topic: Horrific report on Belfast care home  (Read 1660 times)

Dot/dash

Re: Horrific report on Belfast care home
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2018, 10:44:35 AM »
rather odd there are no reports of patients in NHS/private clinics being physically/ mentally abused           

why is this ?           .        my solution to this vile behaviour towards our vulnerable/children/ adults/elderly     

is the installation of cameras in all areas of the accommodation in which these vulnerable people use           

the knowledge of the existence of these cameras/plus hefty punishment                 should acts of physical/mental

abuse take place                    will put an end to this barbaric behaviour                    

love me          love my gelding     

jillyfred

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2018, 11:03:08 AM »
rather odd there are no reports of patients in NHS/private clinics being physically/ mentally abused           

why is this ?           .        my solution to this vile behaviour towards our vulnerable/children/ adults/elderly     

is the installation of cameras in all areas of the accommodation in which these vulnerable people use           

the knowledge of the existence of these cameras/plus hefty punishment                 should acts of physical/mental

abuse take place                    will put an end to this barbaric behaviour                     

===
Excellent post Dot-agree 100%.

jilly

derdrei

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2018, 07:18:13 AM »
===
Excellent post Dot-agree 100%.

jilly
yes I agree it has to stop.

welder

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2018, 07:39:15 AM »

A disturbing subject. My MIL was put in a care home following the accidental death of FIL.

In her own home she had been having carers attend to her needs morning and evening. It was

thought a care home would be a continuation or maybe improvement on this. Not so. Her care

was in my opinion neglected. Her health deteriorated. After 2 years or less her GP transferred

her to Walkergate Hospital. Her physical condition was such the lower part of her frail body

had bed sores. She was kept heavily sedated. The ward sister asked for my wife's permission

to amputate her legs !! MIL died within a week never regaining consciousness. There was an

inquest into her care or lack of it. Shortly after MIL's death the ownership of the private

nursing home changed hands. MIL had an unnecessary unpleasant end to her days.
If the fates decree you're going to lose give them a damn good fight...

James James

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2018, 03:50:38 PM »
"August 31 2018"
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/watchdogs-report-into-care-home-abuse-sparked-shock-and-outrage-37268562.html

"Watchdog's report into care home abuse sparked shock and outrage"

"The Commissioner for Older People in Northern Ireland, Eddie Lynch, published the findings of his 16-month investigation into allegations of abuse at Dunmurry Manor on June 13."

Quote,...

Anyone who had been following the controversy was expecting the document to reveal a catalogue of failings - but no-one could predict the findings would be as harrowing as they turned out to be.

Pressure sores down to the bone and E coli infection, residents with dementia left for hours in urine soaked and vomit covered sheets, some people going without medication for weeks on end, elderly people completely emaciated.

The catalogue of abuse was shocking.

Mr Lynch and his team were clear that Runwood Homes, the company that owns Dunmurry Manor, had failed in its duty of care to the residents.

The firm initially apologised but later stated it did not accept all of Mr Lynch's findings.

Meanwhile, Olive Macleod, the head of the regulatory body tasked with ensuring safe care is being delivered in our care homes, has not apologised, and has also rejected some of Mr Lynch's findings.

In particular, she hit out at him raising concerns about resident on resident sex abuse, claiming she would prefer to refer to it as "disinhibited behaviour".

She has since launched her own investigation into what happened at Dunmurry Manor.

Yesterday's announcement by the police is the latest in a long line of probes being carried out into the devastating abuse and neglect at Dunmurry Manor, with the Department of Health also running its own inquiry.

However, it remains to be seen whether any lessons will be learned from the scandal.

derdrei

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2018, 10:41:14 AM »
this carry on in the care homes makes me sick, is it any wonder nobody wants to go into them it's been going on for years. >:D .

jillyfred

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2018, 02:35:58 PM »
this carry on in the care homes makes me sick, is it any wonder nobody wants to go into them it's been going on for years. >:D .

===
Agree with you 100% Derdrie-absolutely appalling and so frightening.

jilly
 >:D

derdrei

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2018, 12:35:51 PM »
===
Agree with you 100% Derdrie-absolutely appalling and so frightening.

jilly
 >:D
and its shocking to know that it is so wide spread . >:D

jillyfred

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2018, 03:35:54 PM »
and its shocking to know that it is so wide spread . >:D

===
God only knows what is going on in most of these places -one would need to be there 24/7
to monitor them.
Having a loved one being treated so cruelly-and so many have no one left of their own and
are so vulnerable.
I thank the Lord I was able to have both my Father and Mother at home with me, and looked
after ,as they had looked after me.
For that I am truly grateful.

jilly

welder

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2018, 07:07:33 PM »

The "lack" of care in these "Care" homes is well documented, but nothing happens.
The care home my MIL was in was understaffed. At night there were only two nurses (?) on
for the entire home. I formed the opinion that the residents were only appearing to be cared
for at visiting time.
Government needs to be stronger on enforcing at least the basics. Unannounced visits for
inspectors would wake them up   ???

jjmack

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2018, 08:07:24 PM »

The "lack" of care in these "Care" homes is well documented, but nothing happens.
The care home my MIL was in was understaffed. At night there were only two nurses (?) on
for the entire home. I formed the opinion that the residents were only appearing to be cared
for at visiting time.
Government needs to be stronger on enforcing at least the basics. Unannounced visits for
inspectors would wake them up   ???

Governments cannot and should not be involved with care homes. There are unannounced visits to care homes in Northern Ireland by the RQIA  ::)
Wear your RED POPPY with PRIDE.  Lest we forget. BUY BRITISH.  Support the forces of LAW and ORDER, PAST and PRESENT. Justice for the BRITISH ARMY.

derdrei

« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2018, 01:32:25 AM »
Governments cannot and should not be involved with care homes. There are unannounced visits to care homes in Northern Ireland by the RQIA  ::)
that would be good to know , they need some think to wake them up.

welder

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2018, 08:27:24 AM »
If these care homes did not know when to expect a government inspection then they would (?)
ensure that there were sufficient staff present so that resident's hygiene and nutrition were being catered for. Some care homes are like hotels, some are like sh**ters  >:D

James James

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2018, 03:30:23 PM »
"The Health and Personal Social Services (Quality, Improvement and Regulation) (Northern Ireland) Order 2003"
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/nisi/2003/431/contents/made

"PART III,... REGULATION OF ESTABLISHMENTS AND AGENCIES"
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/nisi/2003/431/part/III/made

James James

« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2018, 03:51:49 PM »
"13 June, 2018"
https://www.copni.org/news/2018/june/commissioner-for-older-people-delivers-the-home-truths-about-life-for-many-dunmurry-manor-residents

"Commissioner for Older People delivers the Home Truths about life for many Dunmurry Manor residents"

https://www.copni.org/media/1477/copni-home-truths-summary-report-web.pdf
"Home Truths Summary Report: A Report on the Commissioner's Investigation into Dunmurry Manor Care Home "

https://www.copni.org/media/1478/copni-home-truths-report-web-version.pdf
"Home Truths: A Report on the Commissioner's Investigation into Dunmurry Manor Care Home"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"COPNI"
"The Commissioner for Older People for NI is Eddie Lynch. Safeguarding and promoting the interests of older people."

"1 Oct 2018"
https://twitter.com/COPNI/status/1046807928613863424

"COPNI statement on responses received from the Relevant Authorities in relation to the Dunmurry Manor Care Home Investigation."

https://www.copni.org/news/2018/october/statement-on-the-responses-received-from-the-relevant-authorities-in-relation-to-the-dunmurry-manor-care-home-investigation

"The Commissioner for Older People for Northern Ireland, Eddie Lynch said:"...

“I have now received all the responses required from the Relevant Authorities to my ‘Home Truths’ report on the investigation into Dunmurry Manor Care Home.’’

“I am grateful to the authorities for meeting the deadline of 1st October 2018."

“I welcome the statement from the Department of Health confirming that they are committed to addressing the failings that my investigation uncovered.’’

“I will be examining these responses to my ‘Home Truths’ report very carefully. This process will take some time and I will issue a fuller statement on the content of the responses once I have analysed all of the information I have received.’’