Author Topic: Children's Homes  (Read 800 times)

VLA

Children's Homes
« on: June 25, 2018, 02:15:34 PM »
Hello.  I hope this is the right place to post.

I am wondering if anyone can help. 

My siblings and I had to go into a children's home in the 1950s as my mother was unwell.  I have contacted Belfast Health and Social Care Trust to see if they have any records,
without success.  They have suggested that we may have been with some other organisation such as a church.  I am wondering if there were any Methodist Homes in Antrim or Down at this time.  I remember the staff did not wear uniform, except the Nurse in charge of the Nursery, who wore a Nurses uniform. 

There was a long lane leading up to what was a large, detached house, with shutters at the windows.  There was a large, play area at the rear of the house and this was gated off, for safety.  The children were divided into different groups - Nursery, 2-3 year olds, 4-5 year olds and older children.  Those of school age attended the local school, but were taught together
in one classroom, probably to reduce disruption to the other children, if children from the home were only in care for a few weeks or months.

I remember that the adults in charge were very kind and caring, and I also remember that if it was a child's birthday, they had a party and we wore best dresses for the event.

I don't know whether my parents had to pay towards our care.  Unfortunately they have both passed away and no other family members can help.  Any help or suggestions would be welcome.
Thank you
VLA

johnnymac

Re: Children's Homes
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 05:26:27 PM »
I was in a children's home in Belfast, 1954-55. It was part of the City Hospital complex and was once the Belfast Workhouse. I believe that it was demolished in 1963. It was a fairly grim place but I don't remember any occasions when children there were in any way neglected or ill-treated. I was taught to make my own bed at 4 years of age. In September, 1955 a lady called Edie McCabe took us to the local school on a bus. On 12th July, 1955, the children were taken out onto the Lisburn Road to watch the parade on that sunny day.
                Mackie's on the Springfield Road organised Christmas parties for 800 children who were in children's homes around Belfast. I was present at the 1955 party shortly before my family were allocated a house.

derdrei

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 01:10:56 AM »
would have been hard for a lot of kids . good on Machies for helping out.

derdrei

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 01:13:22 AM »
sorry Mackies.

Nick Keene

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 09:20:34 AM »

Hi, have you considered Childhaven at Donaghadee, it has links to Belfast City Mission which is the home of the Methodist Grosvenor Hall in Belfast. My mothers family were all attendees of the Grosvenor Hall and was told many times as we past Donaghadee of the childrens home there. Here is a link you may be able to chase up and about kids that were there through 50's and 60's. Good luck.

Hello.  I hope this is the right place to post.

I am wondering if anyone can help. 

My siblings and I had to go into a children's home in the 1950s as my mother was unwell.  I have contacted Belfast Health and Social Care Trust to see if they have any records,
without success.  They have suggested that we may have been with some other organisation such as a church.  I am wondering if there were any Methodist Homes in Antrim or Down at this time.  I remember the staff did not wear uniform, except the Nurse in charge of the Nursery, who wore a Nurses uniform. 

There was a long lane leading up to what was a large, detached house, with shutters at the windows.  There was a large, play area at the rear of the house and this was gated off, for safety.  The children were divided into different groups - Nursery, 2-3 year olds, 4-5 year olds and older children.  Those of school age attended the local school, but were taught together
in one classroom, probably to reduce disruption to the other children, if children from the home were only in care for a few weeks or months.

I remember that the adults in charge were very kind and caring, and I also remember that if it was a child's birthday, they had a party and we wore best dresses for the event.

I don't know whether my parents had to pay towards our care.  Unfortunately they have both passed away and no other family members can help.  Any help or suggestions would be welcome.
Thank you
VLA

VLA

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2018, 08:50:07 PM »
Thank you for your replies.  I remember that my Dad attended the Methodist Church  on the Ormeau Road, regularly, so think the Childhaven Home may be a possibility, as I remember it was a long bus ride to get there.  Keeping my fingers crossed.
VLA

Tall trees

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2021, 07:40:07 PM »
I was at the same   Childern’s home In the 1950,s along with my brother and Twin sisters, we were well cared for and yes had to make our own beds,  My sisters at first were put in the nursery which was upstairs. When they were older they came to the rest of us. The bedrooms were on the very top floor. I remember going to a Christmas party at Some work place and we got on stage and sang A is for the apple on the Christmas tree.
We went by bus to st. Monica’s school off  the Malone rd. You could also get the bus up the up the Lisburn  rd and walk up to the top of Derryfogey st. ( might have spelt it wrong)
The home was mixed religions. Some went to different schools.

Tall trees

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2021, 04:33:07 PM »

I was at the same   Childern’s home In the 1950,s along with my brother and Twin sisters, we were well cared for and yes had to make our own beds,  My sisters at first were put in the nursery which was upstairs. When they were older they came to the rest of us. The bedrooms were on the very top floor. I remember going to a Christmas party at Some work place and we got on stage and sang A is for the apple on the Christmas tree.
We went by bus to st. Monica’s school off  the Malone rd. You could also get the bus up the up the Lisburn  rd and walk up to the top of Derryfogey st. ( might have spelt it wrong)
The home was mixed religions. Some went to different schools.

Sorry , The school off the Malone rd was St. Bride’s Went to St Monica’s later.

Monica’s a few yrs later

Bread Basket

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2021, 05:51:00 PM »

Tall trees

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2021, 11:35:40 PM »
Thank you Breadbasket. How could I forget. I enjoyed going to school there.

Tall trees

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2021, 01:40:59 AM »
My sisters and I stayed in the home roughly between 1953and 1959.   Know every part of it.
My brother got to go out earlier as age for work went To live with an aunt.
Will always remember the first day we arrived we were all checked by a doctor , given a bun and milk then bath and bed.
Most of the kids did not stay too long.
There was also A Women’s place  my mum stayed there. Wasn’t very big. She worked in the kitchen. It was to the left of the home and quite a ways back in a different part of the hospital grounds , most kids did not know about it. weren’t supposed to go there. But I found my way there just a few times. She kept a suitcase under her bed.
The majority of kids had parents or one parent that was sick or had no job. Think Mine just had no Money.
All in all the home and staff were ok.