Author Topic: Oldpark Rd./Hillview St.  (Read 2792 times)

See Me

Oldpark Rd./Hillview St.
« on: June 29, 2018, 08:11:54 PM »
Does anyone have a photo, or any memories etc. of the pub on the corner of Oldpark Rd. and Hillview Street. I believe it was called The Bush, but a Forum search (“Hillview” and “The Bush”) indicates another pub called The Bush on Leeson Street.

For clarification, the attached historical map shows the exact location of the pub I'm interested in. Most of that entire block is now occupied by a recycling plant.

White dee

Re: Oldpark Rd./Hillview St.
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 08:46:41 PM »
Does anyone have a photo, or any memories etc. of the pub on the corner of Oldpark Rd. and Hillview Street. I believe it was called The Bush, but a Forum search (“Hillview” and “The Bush”) indicates another pub called The Bush on Leeson Street.

For clarification, the attached historical map shows the exact location of the pub I'm interested in. Most of that entire block is now occupied by a recycling plant.

Hi see me, yes it was called the "Bush Bar " I had a pint or two in it back in the 60s, there may have been another in
Leeson street ? But your right about the one on the Old Park and Hillview.
Justice for all the innocent/ unarmed People who were
Gunned down by the British Soldiers,
For no other reason then their religion,were murdered.

Dot/dash

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 08:58:35 AM »
Hi see me, yes it was called the "Bush Bar " I had a pint or two in it back in the 60s, there may have been another in

:D     so you are a male  :D 
love me          love my gelding     

ldugan

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 09:53:10 PM »

Dee There was one in Lesson st. My father n law owed it before it was taken from him in the 70s.
We don't have to agree on anything to be kind to one another.

ldugan

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 09:57:12 PM »

Dee, There was a Bush bar in Lesson st. My father n law owed it before it was taken from him in the 70s.

White dee

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2018, 10:20:58 PM »
Dee, There was a Bush bar in Lesson st. My father n law owed it before it was taken from him in the 70s.

Not doubting it Idugan, but there was one on the corner Hillview and Old Park too,
It too was burnt out in the 70s.
Justice for all the innocent/ unarmed People who were
Gunned down by the British Soldiers,
For no other reason then their religion,were murdered.

ldugan

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2018, 10:39:51 PM »
Not doubting it Idugan, but there was one on the corner Hillview and Old Park too,
It too was burnt out in the 70s.

Dee, don't know why my reply came up twice !. The Bush bar in the Oldpark according to 1960 street directory belonged to F McKeown.

ldugan

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2018, 10:42:32 PM »

See Me, search Oldpark road & Walton st. The Bush bar is mentioned there.

See Me

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2018, 11:38:48 PM »
Dee, don't know why my reply came up twice !. The Bush bar in the Oldpark according to 1960 street directory belonged to F McKeown.

Thank you both for your replies.

Actually, according to the Street Index of 1960 (courtesy Lennon Wylie) the owner was McGovern, F. Spirit Merchant and the street number was 92. This remains the same going back through the Street Indexes of 1951 and 1943. However, at some point the house-numbering in the Oldpark Road was changed, as the Index for 1932 gives this address as numbers 58,60 (with the same F. McGovern as proprietor).

ldugan

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2018, 08:30:59 AM »
My mistake McGovern don't know where I got McKeown from.

derdrei

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2018, 10:54:00 AM »
hi Dee know the Bush bar in Lesson st.some of my family lived in Varner st.

seosamh

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2020, 03:55:58 PM »
did anyone on here know the mc graths from hillview st

Cathymc

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2020, 09:52:07 PM »

Yes I knew the mcgraths Bella , Hannah Doreen I think there one other girl?

seosamh

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2020, 04:51:21 PM »
hi cathy I worked with hannah and lost touch with her because of the troubles,I got in touch with another friend we worked with in australia and she said she would write now and again, would love to see her again as we are getting older before anything happens lololol, she lived in bailes mills outside lisburn if you ever hear or see of her will you tell her Joe Curley was asking about her, she had a younger sister don't know name, my e- mail is [email protected] many thanks  cathy

Walter Kennedy

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2020, 10:34:09 AM »
Yes I knew the mcgraths Bella , Hannah Doreen I think there one other girl?

Hi
I lived about 5 doors down from the McGrath's, yose to talk to John and his mate Robert drennin