Author Topic: St Thomas' School - Whiterock Road  (Read 125352 times)

gismo

Re: St Thomas' School - Whiterock Road
« Reply #525 on: December 28, 2015, 11:37:31 PM »
im with u hair.oil Sammy jap mc keown was a man who enjoyed slapping people just for getting a question wrong he would slap on a whim

rjmm

« Reply #526 on: January 17, 2016, 12:17:53 PM »
I saw a previous post on here stating that the head Sammy (Jack Mc Keown) was forced to resign by some church authorities. Can any past teacher tell me what actually happened? Was Sammy pushed or did he jump?   ???

I remember Fr Desmond Wilson was always around the school, and appeared to be a great supporter, but I believe he himself was in trouble with the church authorities. Anyone know why?

I also believe there was some scandal over the finances of the Knockbarra Outdoor centre, with wee Jap, which caused it to close. Does anyone know the story?  >:D

As a rejoinder, I remember in1965, I was in 1A and a young RUC constable in full uniform coming in to talk to us about road safety.  Can you imagine??  :o

johnnymac

« Reply #527 on: January 17, 2016, 07:17:54 PM »
I will be meeting up in February with one of the staff from the early 60's. I will pose those questions to him.

magill

« Reply #528 on: January 17, 2016, 11:44:31 PM »
To answer the three questions posed recently.

1. Sammy resigned prematurely because he was deeply offended by Canon Murphy informing him that his son, Ciaran, was not welcome in the school. .this was at a school concert in St. Thomas's. .apparently Ciaran had written an article in the Irish Press  re. Confirmation which the Canon took exception to. I am not sure what this was about but it was seen by myself and the rest of the Staff as the Canon using bully boy tactics in his role as Chairman of the Board of Governors.

2. Des Wilson had major disagreements with the said Canon. I do not wish to offer conjecture but we, as Staff at St. Thomas's, were all very impressed with Fr. Des Wilson as a man and priest and possessing a sharp brain, a champion for West Belfast and of the highest integrity.

3. Brendan Carville applied for the Head of Corpus Christi and an appointment was made which had the same "Church" politics. Knockbarragh  was sold when St. Thomas's closed and funds went to the Parish. Brendan Carville retired in disappointment and disgust at what he felt was an appointment made for reasons which did not reflect experience and track record. I have to say I agree with this opinion.

B. C. Sadly died a short time after his retirement and to say that he was tainted by scandal re. Knockbarragh is totally wrong. B. C. championed K/B and his contribution along with Gerry Irwin, Tommy Conlon and John Maguire was immense. There were others but I cannot recall their names but they ran Bingo every Tuesday Night for our Hostel and purchase of a Minibus. 

bridge ender

« Reply #529 on: March 05, 2016, 09:08:23 PM »
Hi All
 Canon Murphy must be shoveling lots of coal  in Hades.This man as well as "falling out with  Sammy Mckeown and jap Carvill  also  banished a saint as he harassed Mother Teresa  out of Springhill. What a guy was full of his own self importance

Bridge Ender  past pupil  proud to be one

Life is lived forwards and understood backwards.

Clint

« Reply #530 on: March 31, 2016, 07:55:27 PM »
hello

Glen Rovers

« Reply #531 on: November 08, 2016, 11:49:49 PM »
im with u hair.oil Sammy jap mc keown was a man who enjoyed slapping people just for getting a question wrong he would slap on a whim

'Jap' was Jap Carvill, Vice Principal. Sammy McKeown was always only known as 'Sammy' as far as I remember.

I was there until '69. I remember our form teacher was Mr Gallagher, part-time bouncer in The Plaza.

Hugh Torney, Frankie McDonnell, Packie Mulvenna.

I remember Sammy telling Gallagher off because he allowed Torney and McDonnell (best mates) to fight each other in the library.

bridge ender

« Reply #532 on: November 09, 2016, 08:04:26 PM »
Hi
  remember  Gallagher  I think Brendan was his first name??/  He taught  history and Geography after Jim Grant moved on. Gallagher was a big gruff bogman. I think he also owned a pub that was also had music .I remember bringing in 2 shillings and he photocopied notes that he had printed of our course work.
 Bit of a bogman and  .

Bridge ender

Glen Rovers

« Reply #533 on: November 10, 2016, 09:20:05 PM »
Would love to get a look at the pics that were posted here (now missing), are they available anywhere to view?

Thanks

Jim magee

« Reply #534 on: April 13, 2017, 03:59:10 PM »
Just to let people know, Former teacher Sean (dolly) Mccann passes away today...13th April 17...mass in St Teresa's glen road on Saturday at 10am...
He's an uncle of my wife,
Known him over many years and found him to be an exceptional human being and Irish man....
Rest in peace Sean....

GandT

« Reply #535 on: April 13, 2017, 04:22:37 PM »

Just to let people know, Former teacher Sean (dolly) Mccann passes away today...13th April 17...mass in St Teresa's glen road on Saturday at 10am...
He's an uncle of my wife,
Known him over many years and found him to be an exceptional human being and Irish man....
Rest in peace Sean....

Deeply saddened to hear this.

bridge ender

« Reply #536 on: April 13, 2017, 05:57:09 PM »
Hi All St Thomas's

Sean McCann     alias Dolly, Elvis a  neighbour of mine  died early today.  A great person who gave a lot of his time as a researcher for The Lost Lives book on the people killed in the troubles.    RIP   Sean  may you look down on us from above.

Bobby Smith

toon army

« Reply #537 on: April 14, 2017, 02:50:47 PM »
HE did love his music,RIP Mr McCann.

johnnymac

« Reply #538 on: April 18, 2017, 09:41:55 AM »
Sad to learn that Sean McCann has died. Yesterday I met his former colleague, Paddy Marshall, while out walking. Paddy thought that Sean would have been around 86 years old. I was one of the three wise men in the school Christmas nativity production of 1965. Sean was fully involved in every part of this effort. A real gentleman.

Chris C

« Reply #539 on: April 18, 2017, 10:54:11 AM »
Was sad to hear of the passing of Wee Dolly McCann, was in a few of his choirs and a Joseph production, remember listening to Count John McCormack in one of his classes. Had a chance meeting with him on Kennedy way at the petrol station a few years back, he hadn't changed and was a decent , thoughtful teacher.