Author Topic: St Thomas' School - Whiterock Road  (Read 127395 times)

watson

Re: St Thomas' School - Whiterock Road
« Reply #570 on: October 30, 2019, 03:30:29 PM »
I had the late Brother Hanley as a P7 teacher in St Aidan's 1961-62. He took no prisoners but he was a hard man and expected his pupils to be hard. I ended the year quite liking the man. Compared to him the teachers in St Thomas's were pussy cats.

Yeah i remember st Aidans in particular brother  Carlin  very cruel guy to us kids  . wish i could meet him now , hopefully not around any more . so called christian brothers .

johnnymac

« Reply #571 on: November 05, 2019, 10:30:02 PM »
I know that Bro Hanley left the brothers, got married and became principal of a school near Castlewellan. He died not that many years ago. I have a memory of seeing the brothers trudging up the Whiterock Road through record-breaking deep snow around 5th February, 1963. Even as a child I thought that they were a very odd bunch of men.

watson

« Reply #572 on: November 07, 2019, 01:11:43 PM »
Yeah . They were all a bunch of frustrated Gits and enjoyed power over young kids . While they hid away from the real world .

Do Remember that 63 snow , great for kids , slides and hanging on to the back of lorries . The kids cant do that now [ Thakfully ]  ::)

GandT

« Reply #573 on: November 07, 2019, 10:19:50 PM »
Yeah . They were all a bunch of frustrated Gits and enjoyed power over young kids . While they hid away from the real world .

Do Remember that 63 snow , great for kids , slides and hanging on to the back of lorries . The kids cant do that now [ Thakfully ]  ::)

Some of them were exactly as you said but that was the man, not the order. There were just as many [more in my experience] lay people who were twisted, cruel and sadistic to kids. My experience of the Christian Brothers was that there were a few weirdos among them but, on the other hand, they went into areas where the more elitist clergy and middle-class teacher did not go and offered kids an education. Another thing I would say about my experience of them was that I was never made aware of any class differences [unlike some religious orders and lay teachers who favoured the wealthy and the already privileged]. I used to joke about it and say that at least the beat the crap out of us equally - judge's, publicans', doctors' lawyers', teachers', plumbers', binmens' sons. That wasn't necessarily true of them any more than others but I would defend them because some of them made a major and compassionate difference in my life and I can only speak for me about those good Brothers who are no longer here to defend themselves.

watson

« Reply #574 on: November 08, 2019, 02:00:20 PM »
Maybe its changed now , But to late never met a kind one . they were even worse  in charge of  , i think it was called st patricks  home [ BORSTAL ] run by them i remember a few guys who were more or less tortured there and the rest ! Dont remember hearing about this same type of stuff going on at other religions schools .

Any way i do thank them for me no longer taking part in man made religion ceremony. And having to give in the 3 cash envelopes at mass , have saved  a fortune since 1970 . :) 

GandT

« Reply #575 on: November 08, 2019, 05:22:16 PM »
Maybe its changed now , But to late never met a kind one . they were even worse  in charge of  , i think it was called st patricks  home [ BORSTAL ] run by them i remember a few guys who were more or less tortured there and the rest ! Dont remember hearing about this same type of stuff going on at other religions schools .

Any way i do thank them for me no longer taking part in man made religion ceremony. And having to give in the 3 cash envelopes at mass , have saved  a fortune since 1970 . :)

Hardly now - I was talking of way back and just suggesting that words like 'ALL' are hard to justify when talking about any group of people. Are there any ceremonies which are not 'man-made'? Religions and religious ceremonies can only be man-made since God [if one believes in God] would hardly dedicate ceremony or belief to Himself! Don't worry about the 3 envelopes, the church will survive!

Chris C

« Reply #576 on: November 08, 2019, 05:47:19 PM »
My memories of the Christian Brothers was of them walking the boys from St Patrick’s, known locally as The Boys Home, on the Glen Road to The Broadway Picture House on a Saturday afternoon They walked at quite a pace with one Brother in front and one at the back, he seemed very tall and carried a large wooden walking stick. One of the local women would pass clean clothes to her son. It was a threat to us growing up by our parents, behave or you will be seeing a free film on a Saturday afternoon.

sapper

« Reply #577 on: November 09, 2019, 05:56:10 AM »
  I remember that,running beside them to pass abag of sweets to my brother

GandT

« Reply #578 on: November 09, 2019, 12:03:49 PM »
My memories of the Christian Brothers was of them walking the boys from St Patrick’s, known locally as The Boys Home, on the Glen Road to The Broadway Picture House on a Saturday afternoon They walked at quite a pace with one Brother in front and one at the back, he seemed very tall and carried a large wooden walking stick. One of the local women would pass clean clothes to her son. It was a threat to us growing up by our parents, behave or you will be seeing a free film on a Saturday afternoon.

I remember that as well. At one stage wasn't quite sure if I feared or envied the boys in the procession on a Saturday. We had a couple of local and renowned serial offenders among the 'bad boys'. Nowadays, their 'crimes' wouldn't make it past the police juvenile records - some may not even been registered there. Got to know one of those have mentioned well and still meet him occasionally - decent, humorous, pleasant and courteous man. Either the home worked very well or the lad should never have been there - the latter in my view!