Author Topic: St Thomas' School - Whiterock Road  (Read 127449 times)

florriebinn

St Thomas' School - Whiterock Road
« on: January 25, 2008, 10:09:12 PM »
Have to get a thread on this .. two of Ireland's greatest writers Michael McLaverty and Seamus Heaney were on the staff and the schhool played a massive part in the social fabric of the Murph and further afield etc... any memories?

Mageeka

Re: St Thomas' School - Whiterock Road
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 03:25:06 AM »
 Hi florriebinn
I know about St Thomas   It was indeed a great and tough school  The teachers there had a lot to deal with apart from the educational area.  They were trully terrific at their jiobs
Good Post florrie !!!!!

jemmy hope

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 06:00:22 PM »
I had a good mate that went to St Thomas in the sixties ,Mickey Rice.  I lost touch with him after the troubles started.
Two silly oul monarchs in battle did join, each wanting his head on the back of a coin, if the irish had sense they would throw both in the boyne.

rocky1

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 07:29:04 PM »
 I went 2 St Thomas`s school anyone remember we Elvis McCann the music teacher. 

Mrs Timberlake

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 07:36:48 PM »
I went to St Louise's in the 80s and the St Tom's boys were always grrrrrrrrrrrrreat.  They used to wait on us outside the gates when it was snowing and throw snowballs at us.  We loved it  :P :-*
Does my face look bothered?

Belle Fast

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 11:01:40 AM »
I worked as a cook in St Toms the year before it closed. Some days there'd be a riot in the canteen and we pulled the shutters down until it all went quiet. One day a kid told me to shove my sausages up my hole and one of the older dinner ladies laid into him with her serving spoon calling him a wee [censored] and she was going to see his ma. For years after if they saw me in town or on the road they'd shout there's our dinner lady. When it shut I was transferred up to Vere Foster  :)

Mageeka

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 04:50:43 PM »
I worked as a cook in St Toms the year before it closed. Some days there'd be a riot in the canteen and we pulled the shutters down until it all went quiet. One day a kid told me to shove my sausages up my hole and one of the older dinner ladies laid into him with her serving spoon calling him a wee   and she was going to see his ma. For years after if they saw me in town or on the road they'd shout there's our dinner lady. When it shut I was transferred up to Vere Foster  :)

LMAO Belle O0

rocky1

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 08:33:07 PM »

My kids went 2 vere Forster said the bloody dinners were stinking and u could count the peas in one hand that u got on a plate.  :(

Belle Fast

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 07:54:33 AM »
My kids went 2 vere Forster said the bloody dinners were stinking and u could count the peas in one hand that u got on a plate.  :(
I tell you what Rocky there were a hell of a lot better than the crap that was served at St Tom's, dried cabbagge ??? didn't know it existed until I worked there, the supervisor was from Ballymena and hid in her office

Mageeka

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 04:21:22 PM »
In some cases Belle it was probably better than what was served at home

alien

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 06:13:21 PM »
went to st toms myself.   .td doran,wee jap,dolly mccann music teachers..clifford the spanish teacher was always drunk.wat about the irish teacher with one crooked eye.   .hated the place lol.

rocky1

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 08:45:44 PM »
Hated it myself do  u remember Paddy Casey  PE teacher. What class were u in.

florriebinn

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2008, 09:50:16 PM »
I am only a young buck but my grandfather was the caretaker from 58 - 70, Jackie Flynn from Divismore Crescent... left to become a full-time greyhound trainer .. I ended up marrying a girl called Katrina whose Granny worked in the dinners in St Tom's..came from Ballymurphy Road.. Mary Clarke - 137 was married to Christy  

rocky1

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2008, 09:13:03 PM »

Sure your father could tell a few tales about St Thoms. Does your father still walk the greyhounds round the cemetery in the mornings. New Barnsley man myself.

florriebinn

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2008, 10:14:58 PM »
He passed away in 1992    was still walking the dogs around the park up till that year....