Author Topic: St Thomas' School - Whiterock Road  (Read 128337 times)

Mageeka

Re: St Thomas' School - Whiterock Road
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2008, 05:01:00 PM »
Sure your father could tell a few tales about St Thoms. Does your father still walk the greyhounds round the cemetery in the mornings. New Barnsley man myself.

Rocky
Did you know a Gerard Kelly from N. B , or Happy Donnelly ?

rocky1

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2008, 07:48:07 PM »
Is it Gerard Kelly who paints murals. If so he`s my cousin. Mother Harriet Kelly/Carson married 2 Mickey Kelly. Mickey was well known down the Falls. Worked for McGuinness bookies in Clonard St as a marker up.Not many of them about today. Not sure about Happy Donnelly but do know a Mickey Donnelly

seosamh

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2008, 08:17:16 PM »
rocky you seem to know everybody did you help build the school ;D :P

rocky1

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2008, 08:21:39 PM »

no just a ill spent youth O0

billyo

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2008, 07:56:04 AM »

billyo

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2008, 07:59:16 AM »
no just a ill spent youth O0
hi i was at st toms and went back as a workshop technician under big al oloan in the woodwork rooms

oldmovies

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2008, 02:39:59 PM »
i was there the first day it opened and the first thing i saw was the daffodils in the shape of st thomas' school any one remember that.
When Trouble Has Passed, God is Forgotten.

bt12

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2008, 01:11:50 AM »
I am only a young buck but my grandfather was the caretaker from 58 - 70, Jackie Flynn from Divismore Crescent... left to become a full-time greyhound trainer .. I ended up marrying a girl called Katrina whose Granny worked in the dinners in St Tom's..came from Ballymurphy Road.. Mary Clarke - 137 was married to Christy  

remember your g/father very well we where neighbors , he lived at 8 divismore cres back then , i cant remember if the flynns had any daughters but i knew don and jackie jnr very well , there was another brother who was a joiner think he was the oldest , family moved up to ladybrook i think , havent seen don in at least 30 yrs i remember going down to the postoffice in royal avenue to help him lug his new postie uniform and kit back up to the murph ! last i heard he was still in the po , by the way which one is your father ? ,, jackie c  :)

tobytwo

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2008, 02:29:21 PM »
I am only a young buck but my grandfather was the caretaker from 58 - 70, Jackie Flynn from Divismore Crescent... left to become a full-time greyhound trainer .. I ended up marrying a girl called Katrina whose Granny worked in the dinners in St Tom's..came from Ballymurphy Road.. Mary Clarke - 137 was married to Christy  
I to went to st toms and came from Divismore cresent and run about with your uncle jim so if u see him tell him Gerard Trainor was asking and we had great day in st toms and the good old murph.
never worry about life cause life will look after its-self.

florriebinn

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2008, 02:41:00 PM »
I will indeed Gerard

GandT

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2008, 03:53:46 PM »
Hi florriebinn
I know about St Thomas   It was indeed a great and tough school  The teachers there had a lot to deal with apart from the educational area.  They were trully terrific at their jiobs
Good Post florrie !!!!!

Taught there and  you are absolutely spot-on.  Tough but svery interesting place to work. Some very talented and some very wonderful kids now in some very good and high profile jobs.   When I meet even some of those who were toughest or who you could hardly get to come to school they are great as grown men.  Lunch duty could involve breaking up a few stone-throwers who tested their accuracy be trying to knock off the narrow radio aerials on army jeeps and whippets!

IrishGranMa

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2008, 01:58:46 PM »
All of my nephews went to St Thomas' Corbett's from Divismore Cresent
Murph.
My Mother told me there'd be days like these.

tobytwo

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2008, 02:54:15 PM »
All of my nephews went to St Thomas' Corbett's from Divismore Cresent
Murph.
Yes and me and malachy knocked about to -gether when we were kids

tobytwo

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2008, 03:00:15 PM »
remember your g/father very well we where neighbors , he lived at 8 divismore cres back then , i cant remember if the flynns had any daughters but i knew don and jackie jnr very well , there was another brother who was a joiner think he was the oldest , family moved up to ladybrook i think , havent seen don in at least 30 yrs i remember going down to the postoffice in royal avenue to help him lug his new postie uniform and kit back up to the murph ! last i heard he was still in the po , by the way which one is your father ? ,, jackie c  :)
no the flynns lived at no 7 because we lived in no 16 the Trainors and they lived in the odd numbered side?

SteWhe

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2008, 09:39:42 AM »
Brilliant forum here guys. Myself and my two brothers went to St Thomas' and we were from Whiterock Gardens. Unbelievable memories reading through these posts. Its no surprise that the lads that were in your class remain your friends for life even though as we all grow we move away from each other. Gerry McMahon is now the school principal of the amalgamated schools and what a job he's done done there,  'wee jimmy'McDermott is still there, 'Drummer' the science technician also.  Most of my memories were knocking about with 'big rusty'cosgrove, the 'twin magees' Whack McGettigan, Ginger Delaney, not to forget my neighbours in the 'Rock Noel 'Wally' Wallace and John 'Bap' McKeever who I still see.
Teachers wise I couldn't say a bad word about Mr Teague, 'Sausage' Patsy Hennessy and one of the main reasons I came out of school with any qualifications Patsy O'Hagan.  The worst was probably Mr Boyle the English teacher who I detest to this day - funny how teachers affect you in the early stages of your life, thank God for the good ones i've mentioned before Boyle.

Anybody know these people above? I would be really keen to hear from you in this forum!

Whelo